Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admitting that it is going to be a while before decent riding weather returns, what battery tender/charger would be best suited to the FZ? I am a fan of the Deltran products but want to make sure whatever I choose is compatible with the sealed battery. What does the "niner" nation think?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I asked my Yamaha dealer this very question and he said the Battery Tender Jr. I have will work nicely.
Oh! If you have more than one bike you can buy a compatible SAE connector in the trailer hitch section of most auto parts stores. With an inline fuse holder and a couple of ring connectors, additional hook ups can be made relatively easily and inexpensively.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
^^^^^^^^ What he said. It's hard to go wrong with Battery Tender products

Reactions: MoFZio and Niner

·
Registered
232 Posts
i use a Schumacher 1 amp or 1.5 amp motorcycle battery charger maintainer have used them for years one for each bike can get them at any auto parts or or wallmart...have 1 or 1.5 amp charging and once charged drop to a 0.2 amp trickle and maintain it fully automatic...purposely for motorcycles ATV and ride-on mowers

·
Registered
881 Posts
Although I have used the Battery Tender Jr. for several years, the dealer where I purchased my FZ-09 made it easy. They install a BTJ quick connect harness on each new motorcycle and ATV.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Battery Tender JR. It's a must have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like redeye's dealer has a really good idea. Thanks for all the input, I'm going with the BT Jr. this time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I asked my Yamaha dealer this very question and he said the Battery Tender Jr. I have will work nicely.
Oh! If you have more than one bike you can buy a compatible SAE connector in the trailer hitch section of most auto parts stores. With an inline fuse holder and a couple of ring connectors, additional hook ups can be made relatively easily and inexpensively.
Battery Tender also sells extra pigtails like this. They are only 7 or 8 bucks each.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Battery Tender Jr for me, dealer did the same as red eyes dealer, quick connect on side under seat. Easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have a solution to keep multiple battery tenders organized and out of the way? Leaving them on the seats and covers causes them to end up on the floor (I know), and leaving them on the floor is a source of tripping and moisture (concrete floor). I use three Battery Tender Plus units now to keep three different bikes charged. I have them connected through a timer that runs for about 2 hours/day. This is perfect for Floating" and keeping the batteries in storage mode and reduces the possibility of "over charging". I'm thinking some sort of wooden rack but wonder what others have done.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I set them on the floor, but now I am motivated to hang them from my rafters plugging them into the outlets for my garage door openers. I run into the same issues. I hang extension chords and drop lights, might as well do the tenders. Block of wood, chain link, and eye hooks should do the trick.

View attachment 1951

·
Registered
881 Posts
I like DNFDoug's rafter plan but have used this tool box:
Stack-On SSR-20 Step 'N Stor Step Stool, Black/Red - Amazon.com

I'll set a multi-plug device on top of the tool box and place it among the motorcycles and lawn tractor. During the spring, summer and early fall, I pack all of my battery tenders, cords, etc. inside the tool box and put it away. It's still available as a step stool when working around the garage.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Anyone have a solution to keep multiple battery tenders organized and out of the way? Leaving them on the seats and covers causes them to end up on the floor (I know), and leaving them on the floor is a source of tripping and moisture (concrete floor). I use three Battery Tender Plus units now to keep three different bikes charged. I have them connected through a timer that runs for about 2 hours/day. This is perfect for Floating" and keeping the batteries in storage mode and reduces the possibility of "over charging". I'm thinking some sort of wooden rack but wonder what others have done.
Don't know what brand of chargers you use....but you can't "over charge" with a Battery Tender JR or Battery Tender Plus. That's why we use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up a small storage rack (ClosetMaid) at Home Depot today and zip tied it to the shelving behind my bikes. It has two vertically stacked 4.8"" X 12.5" racks and is perfect for up to 4 separate Battery Tender Pluses. I have hidden the power cords behind the rack. Each of my three Tender power cords go to one short heavy gauge extension that is plugged into a timer so they are only on a couple of hours a day. I'd send a photo but I'm not sure how to attach it to this msg. Heres a link to see what the unit looks like: ClosetMaid 12 in. 2-Tier Storage Rack-8002 at The Home Depot

In spite of what others say about tenders not overcharging, I've heard from more than one knowledgeable source that there are occasions where it can happen, so I'll continue to take the precaution of using the timer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts