Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
also i really wanna know is how quickly you guys got used to the bike.

According to the owners manual theres probably less than a one percent chance i damaged the motor...says to stay under 5.6k rpm during the break in period. and i did do that. however i was hovering close to that for a while. drove 22 miles home at 70-75mph which is a bit under the 5.6rpm.

but idk the second time i got on my bike, already felt dull. when i first got on it naturally i was timid, and shocked by the initial torque.
surprised how quickly i got used to it. i remember it took me at least a weak to get used to the sv650( god they are amazing bikes).
I rode my sv650 and felt slower after riding the fz09. then i rode my fz09, and that felt slow too lol.

also off topic. but you cant fold in the mirrors, which is pretty lame. cant wait to replace them. hate how almost all modern mirrors look.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's fine, make sure you warm it up when you ride. If you have any issues with breaking it in it will probably be noticeable when you burn a lot of oil. Just avoid using all the revs all the time until you get that break in oil out. If you haven't changed the oil yet, do so. Then again at 600 then it should be broken in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's fine, make sure you warm it up when you ride. If you have any issues with breaking it in it will probably be noticeable when you burn a lot of oil. Just avoid using all the revs all the time until you get that break in oil out. If you haven't changed the oil yet, do so. Then again at 600 then it should be broken in.
i asked how long the the bike had been sitting with oil, they said it didnt have any oil. is it vital to change the oil if they where lying? i mean how long could it have the oil been there for? i assumed the bike had no fluids when its in the showroom.

also complete noob with dealerships. they told me to do come back to the 600 mile service, thats gonna be free...uhh right?

what

·
Registered
151 Posts
i asked how long the the bike had been sitting with oil, they said it didnt have any oil. is it vital to change the oil if they where lying? i mean how long could it have the oil been there for? i assumed the bike had no fluids when its in the showroom.

also complete noob with dealerships. they told me to do come back to the 600 mile service, thats gonna be free...uhh right?

In a perfect world the first service would be free... However my experience it was more like 70-90 dollars an hour plus the cost of oil! Two hours of work and you're looking at a $200 service bill. I knew I was going to learn to change my own oil with the bike. Found a friend who could help me and I am on my way to becoming a proficient rider and owner. Thanks also to the forum for help with every beginner question I've had so far!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
They put oil in them when they uncrate them before they put it on the showroom. Look up how to change oil on a motorcycle on Youtube. I bet there is an instructional video. All you need is a filter, almost 4 quarts of Yamalube 4 stroke oil, a filter wrench, funnell, and a metric socket set.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

what
Not free probably $200. No it doesn't matter how long it has been sitting because this bike is so new and in such demand it hasn't been too long. But I changed mine around 100mi some people do it at 20. Just to get the initial crud out. You can wait till 600 and I doubt it would make a huge difference to be completely honest.

I recommend changing it yourself. There's a big bolt on the bottom where the oil comes out, there's a filter down there too, that has to come off. Then you put the bolt back and replace the filter then fill it up with the proper amount of oil and you are done! Learn the maintenance yourself and the bike will last a lot longer. With the interweb and all the knowledge on this forum you won't have any issues finding how-to info. Make sure to search the forum before you start a new thread...if you can't find one then ask in the proper section and you will be out turning wrenches and being a true biker before you know it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Let see why to do this
Magnets on the oil filter will hold metal particular in the filter , and these are small but vey strong is it not the fact that beak in is the wearing of parts
so to capture it in the filter is a good thing

what[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
helpful people :)
They put oil in them when they uncrate them before they put it on the showroom. Look up how to change oil on a motorcycle on Youtube. I bet there is an instructional video. All you need is a filter, almost 4 quarts of Yamalube 4 stroke oil, a filter wrench, funnell, and a metric socket set.
ah really thats all they do? oil change...thats lame. i changed the oil on my ninja 250 and sv 650. so hopefully this shouldnt be a problem. thanks for the heads up. ill sart looking for the 'ol torque wrench tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
helpful people :)

ah really thats all they do? oil change...thats lame. i changed the oil on my ninja 250 and sv 650. so hopefully this shouldnt be a problem. thanks for the heads up. ill sart looking for the 'ol torque wrench tomorrow.
My dealer said that they just do what is listed in the manual for the applicable service. So oil, chain lube, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
no, there's more to the 600 mile service that they're supposed to do in addition to the oil change - sync throttle bodies, check/adjust/lube cables, check/adjust steering head bearings, etc.
My dealer's service guy said that they would only do those "extras" IF a problem was evident. Thus, I went ahead and did my own oil & filter change, lubed my chain, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you have completely destroyed the engine and you should definitely sell it and get a new FZ-09 to start over. If you want to sell that dud, I will pay $5000 cash right now. My loss is your gain. I will be glad that you are happy and not riding a dull bike.

also i really wanna know is how quickly you guys got used to the bike.

According to the owners manual theres probably less than a one percent chance i damaged the motor...says to stay under 5.6k rpm during the break in period. and i did do that. however i was hovering close to that for a while. drove 22 miles home at 70-75mph which is a bit under the 5.6rpm.

but idk the second time i got on my bike, already felt dull. when i first got on it naturally i was timid, and shocked by the initial torque.
surprised how quickly i got used to it. i remember it took me at least a weak to get used to the sv650( god they are amazing bikes).
I rode my sv650 and felt slower after riding the fz09. then i rode my fz09, and that felt slow too lol.

also off topic. but you cant fold in the mirrors, which is pretty lame. cant wait to replace them. hate how almost all modern mirrors look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts