Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even 100% it's because of the bike but it didn't start until after I got this bike. There's a pressure/discomfort/pinching sensation in the upper center back right between the shoulder blades that I THINK is from the FZ-09's handlebar situation. What is the best set of bars to get to amend this? Carmichaels? Or something narrower? Or wha?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'm not even 100% it's because of the bike but it didn't start until after I got this bike. There's a pressure/discomfort/pinching sensation in the upper center back right between the shoulder blades that I THINK is from the FZ-09's handlebar situation. What is the best set of bars to get to amend this? Carmichaels? Or something narrower? Or wha?
For me... the stock seat had this effect on my spine/neck. When I run w/ the Corbin seat... there's no problem.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i've battled lower back problems since a mountain bike racing injury i got when i was 16. After 2 weeks on this bike with the stock seat i knew i had to change it. I had a similar sense of relief as MoFZio. I'm not saying that your handlebars for your height and arm length may not be ideal - maybe a pic of you on the bike will help others diagnose it better but another general reco is to do some core strengthening if you start to have chronic back problems. I've had cortisteroid shots in my spine, could barely walk at one point, was hanging upside on an inversion table several times a day but still had severe pain.

I finally got serious about core strengthening and i got back into climbing (both indoors and out). Since then - i've had a drastic reduction in "flare ups".

Sorry to get off topic but back pain is just the worse - and often times the root cause is something less obvious than what you would think. I would imagine wrong handlebar misplacement would put more discomfort on your shoulders and arms more so than your back but again i'm not expert.

keep us posted

·
Registered
107 Posts
How tall are you? It sounds like you may need risers or more narrow bars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had this exact issue- I am 5'11". I came to the FZ from a SV1000s, and noticed this same discomfort. I noticed a couple things- the stock bars are tall, and I was no longer leaning on them. My arms were not outstretched, and the constant bend in my arms was fatiguing the center of my upper back. Secondly, the bar grip area angles upward as you can see in the stock picture below. That added to the bend in my arms, rotated my hands inward. The Carmichael bend bar lowers the grips and flattens the grip angle. I rode two 180 mile loops on back to back days after putting that bar on, and it alleviated that pinch allowing my shoulders to relax.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've battled lower back problems since a mountain bike racing injury i got when i was 16. After 2 weeks on this bike with the stock seat i knew i had to change it. I had a similar sense of relief as MoFZio. I'm not saying that your handlebars for your height and arm length may not be ideal - maybe a pic of you on the bike will help others diagnose it better but another general reco is to do some core strengthening if you start to have chronic back problems. I've had cortisteroid shots in my spine, could barely walk at one point, was hanging upside on an inversion table several times a day but still had severe pain.

I finally got serious about core strengthening and i got back into climbing (both indoors and out). Since then - i've had a drastic reduction in "flare ups".

Sorry to get off topic but back pain is just the worse - and often times the root cause is something less obvious than what you would think. I would imagine wrong handlebar misplacement would put more discomfort on your shoulders and arms more so than your back but again i'm not expert.

keep us posted
I've been very big into fitness for some time now. Motorcycling was what got me into it actually. Over 130 lbs of weight loss and lots of fitness improvements. Core strength I can promise you is not the issue.

How tall are you? It sounds like you may need risers or more narrow bars.
5'10".

I had this exact issue- I am 5'11". I came to the FZ from a SV1000s, and noticed this same discomfort. I noticed a couple things- the stock bars are tall, and I was no longer leaning on them. My arms were not outstretched, and the constant bend in my arms was fatiguing the center of my upper back. Secondly, the bar grip area angles upward as you can see in the stock picture below. That added to the bend in my arms, rotated my hands inward. The Carmichael bend bar lowers the grips and flattens the grip angle. I rode two 180 mile loops on back to back days after putting that bar on, and it alleviated that pinch allowing my shoulders to relax.
Wow thanks for the visual! I'm surprised more people don't post visual comparisons of these bars. That does look like it'll help a lot.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Love my Carmichael. Did some track days, 2K miles week trip (900 miles in 1 hrs...) and the position is great. Agree with a more relax position, easier on shoulders IMO. It's a bit wider than stock but it's ok. You could always trim each side if you want it a bit more narrow... Don't forget to get bar ends to fit those. The clutch cable is much better too, does't have a sharp bend like the stock bars... operate more freely.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love my Carmichael. Did some track days, 2K miles week trip (900 miles in 1 hrs...) and the position is great. Agree with a more relax position, easier on shoulders IMO. It's a bit wider than stock but it's ok. You could always trim each side if you want it a bit more narrow... Don't forget to get bar ends to fit those. The clutch cable is much better too, does't have a sharp bend like the stock bars... operate more freely.
What bar ends would fit?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The inside diameter is a bit smaller, 12 or 14mm if I remember well. I don't have my bike with me now, took the FZ6R this morning. I will double check the dimension and witch brand of bar end I have this evening.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I find handlebars are a very personal thing. It depends on how tall, how wide your shoulders are, how long your arms/torso, where you sit, etc, etc.

I'm about 6 foot 4 and broad. the stock bars are pretty good for me, could be a bit higher, but if they were higher, they wouldn't be as good when i tuck down.
Maybe sit on the bike when its on stands, and see where you hands want to be to be comfortable.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 how you fit what bike, and what you find is comfortable is a very individual personal preference.

Not sure if this site will help with ergonomics, but it might give you a better visual for how you fit the bike?

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Plus you can adjust the handle bar position and see what it effects.

Reactions: jasonk

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
I had the same back issue with the stock bars. And to further prove the point, I tried installing them on my Tiger 1050...same issue. Must be the combination of the pullback (or lack thereof) and the way the bar ends rise up.

No issues with the clubmans...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've battled lower back problems since a mountain bike racing injury i got when i was 16. After 2 weeks on this bike with the stock seat i knew i had to change it. I had a similar sense of relief as MoFZio. I'm not saying that your handlebars for your height and arm length may not be ideal - maybe a pic of you on the bike will help others diagnose it better but another general reco is to do some core strengthening if you start to have chronic back problems. I've had cortisteroid shots in my spine, could barely walk at one point, was hanging upside on best inversion table 2017 several times a day but still had severe pain.

keep us posted
Is it ok if you use inversion table several times a day?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts