Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

What aftermarket suspension are you running?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on upgrading the suspension on my '18 over winter and as I've started doing my research it has made me curious to what everyone's running on their bike for those who have drained the bank account to get a compliant ride.

There are definitely some more popular options people have gone with when reading through the forum but I thought it would be cool to start a poll to see what people are running on their bikes.

Feel free to comment about what you like or dislike about your setup and anything you'd do differently if starting over again.

If there's another popular option I'm missing, let me know and I'll try and edit the poll.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have 5 bikes, the FZ-09 is my latest addition. On my other bikes, I have Ohlins shocks and liked them fine. Since I've never had Penske, I decided to try em. Can't say enough about them. Works very well and helps give me more confidence in the turns.

I have yet to improve the front forks yet, but I'm leaning towards the AK20's from Traxxion.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
For the rear, I really like the penske double clicker. Alot of flexibility in settings. Ride height adjustment is easy, rebound and low speed compression settings as well. I do wish I had the triple clicker for high speed compression. It would make the faster more spirited rides easier on my old back.
Also tge penske is easily broken down and easy to work on if needed (if piece should fail).

The front rebuild I have is a ton better than stock (forks by matt). I had a business trip to DC, so I went to his place and he showed me the process as I did the work. Cost me less than $300. With that being said, I'd like to get back into it and readjust the valving to make it a little softer as I set it up for a 230 pound rider and I've lost some weight, but for $300, im pleased with them.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Nitron and Andreani are excellent value, but the comp circuit on the Andreanis needs tweaking if you ride on anything but perfect roads.
If I did it again I'd try Bitubo now that we have a local importer.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I probably went with one of the cheapest options for the entire bike.

Racetech Gold valves in the front with springs for my weight, along with a 2009 ZX6R shock in the back.

Is it plush, no. Is it compliant with most everything I ride on, yes. The high speed compression circuit on the shock is a nice feature when riding on crappy roads.

The ZX shock is a little bit longer than stock, so I gained a bit of ground clearance. I'm also running a 112 link chain rather than the standard 110 in an attempt to get a bit more weight up front. This setup seems to work well for me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Reactions: astcyr

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
459 Posts
I went all out on a Nitron R3 rear shock and 22mm Nitron TVT fork cartridges built by Fast Bike Industries In Hendersonville, NC. The rear shock is a triple clicker. I'm really happy with the set up as I'm a heavy guy weighing in at about 240 lbs. It really handles superb and I've been riding them really hard on the back roads of Ohio all season. Got to find what fits in your budget and will get you the desired results you are looking for. Most important in my book is what kind of riding you'll be doing. For me it is fast paced twistie riding on the road and the occasional track day. I wanted something that was going to keep me planted in the corners at speed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Stoltec on the front, marvelous!! Out back, I cheaped out a bit and went with a K-Tech Razor R-lite shock. Sometimes wish I had gone with the Razor-R to fine tune the rear a little more. It's not bad, just a little rough around the edges. Still, much better than stock!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
On my 2 x 2014's, I had Stoltec FPK in the front and a penske double clicker in the rear.
On my 17, I have ohlins nix 30 carts and a TFX triple clicker rear shock.

The ohlins is better than the stoltec FPK, but they are 4 times the price.
TFX shock is great, but not ride height adjustable so i had it made 8mm longer.

The Penske shocks brilliant since it comes with ride height adjustment- ohlins doesn't.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As a lightweight (@ 85kg fully kitted) and conservative tour-oriented rider I had a full-on K-TEC set up installed front and rear on my last Tracer GT, telling the suspension guru I wanted a magic carpet ride. It's what I got - best $2100 ever spent.

Reactions: betoney and astcyr

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nitron and Andreani are excellent value, but the comp circuit on the Andreanis needs tweaking if you ride on anything but perfect roads.
If I did it again I'd try Bitubo now that we have a local importer.
What is it about the compression on the Andreanis? Is there too much compression on rough roads even with the compression on it's lowest setting?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The high speed circuit is too restrictive, even with low viscosity fluid. Forks by Matt had a detailed fix involving valve mods, needle mod and reshim. I just had mine reshimmed and it did the job. I can run normal weight fluid at midway settings, it's fine on big bumps and well controlled on low amplitude bumps and fork dive.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thats the path I'll follow (louG's path) when and if I upgrade my front forks from my current "forks by matt" revalve.

That has me thinking, ive been lucky enough to pre order a playstation 5. While others are seeking the console (video game console for those that do not know). Im not usually a person to take advantage of a situation like this.

BUT, selling the ps5 pre order for new front forks, hmmmm...its a thought.

Sorry been drinking and thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Lol, sounds good

·
Registered
23 Posts
Add Nitron TVT22 to your check boxes up top. You could have had this all answer also in some of the other threads. That said, Ohlins for rears as there are more svc. centers for them. Nitron TVT22 from FBI (both came from them ) and had suspension shop in McKinny, TX install the fork kit.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Hey, Cross I have Stoltec motos forks on the front (springs/shim stack/valving) set up for my weight and a triple clicker Penske shock out rear.......I can't say enough good things about this setup. it is plush and compliant yet tight and is like a razor on turns.

literally she doesn't go off her line unless u get very reckless, also the range of adjustment is HUGE....I am not even halfway in on my settings and I have a lot of room to tailor the setup depending on the type of riding I want to do for the day, whether it be cruising (softening her up) or spirited riding (the opposite)

The front forks have completely eliminated the brake dive the stockers give and it is beyond neutral in the corners, inspiring confidence.

And as one poster said earlier the Penske shocks are easily rebuildable and easy to work on.

hope this helps if you need more info just fire away the questions. but I wholeheartedly endorse a suspension upgrade...it literally transforms the MT

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, Cross I have Stoltec motos forks on the front (springs/shim stack/valving) set up for my weight and a triple clicker Penske shock out rear.......I can't say enough good things about this setup. it is plush and compliant yet tight and is like a razor on turns.

literally she doesn't go off her line unless u get very reckless, also the range of adjustment is HUGE....I am not even halfway in on my settings and I have a lot of room to tailor the setup depending on the type of riding I want to do for the day, whether it be cruising (softening her up) or spirited riding (the opposite)

The front forks have completely eliminated the brake dive the stockers give and it is beyond neutral in the corners, inspiring confidence.

And as one poster said earlier the Penske shocks are easily rebuildable and easy to work on.

hope this helps if you need more info just fire away the questions. but I wholeheartedly endorse a suspension upgrade...it literally transforms the MT
What do you have to adjust when you wanna soften or stiffen up the suspension? Do you just stiffen up preload or are you adjusting comp./rebound ?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
What do you have to adjust when you wanna soften or stiffen up the suspension? Do you just stiffen up preload or are you adjusting comp./rebound ?
Sometimes i do all three astcyr, we have some really shitty roads down here on the country side of the island like major pot holes and rivets in the asphalt type F'ed up roads so sometimes i actually take out preload, i back off compression and i even take out rebound. taking out the rebound yes does make the fork hyperactive but it gets a lot "plusher" for the shitty holes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts