Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a 120 mile ride today and dialed in new shock. Wow, it's like a different machine. Where before it would pogo a bit, now feels like it's on rails. Stays on line and doesn't make me nervous rolling on throttle coming out of turns. Can't wait to update front end. Woo hoo!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the "double clicker". I think it's worth every penny. Not cheap, but good equipment rarely is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good choice of upgrade!

I have the triple clicker but expect most folks would be happy with the double.
The fork upgrade will make it even better. I would not have kept my 09 with stock suspension.
Several will tell you it is not needed. I guess I'm not a good enough rider to handle the bucking bronco.
My MX bike was more predictable (to be fair, it was not stock suspension either).

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The stock suspension on the FZ09 was something I knew I was going to modify/replace before I ever bought the bike. Way too many negative comments on it for it to just be a bit of a fluke. I am very accustomed to riding bikes with good to excellent suspension because of my track day bikes that I've owned. I realize that the 09 is not going to be a track bike for me, but I do a lot of riding in the mountains of E. TN and N. GA so having a good suspension is of a very high importance to me. I bought the FZ to be my "street" bike, but I also want some of the performance, suspension wise, like my track bike.....compliant over the bumpy stuff, front end that doesn't dive when hard braking is used, no squatting when driving out of a corner, and so on. It's a whole lot easier to take a bike with a great motor and a very good frame and rework the suspension than it is to have a bike with excellent suspension and have to upgrade the motor. This bike is a bargain for the price and to get it set up properly suspension wise is just part of it for me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I went with the budget 8900E, and even that totally transformed the way this bike handles. I too knew going in to my purchase that the stock suspension would need upgrading, and was part of my decision to buy this bike.........as it saved me $4000 on the ticket price of the next bike on my list.

$4000 buys a whole lotta upgrades.

I am a spirited street rider, never tracked any bike and dont plan to,a nd the 8900E was a perfect upgrade for this bike in my opinion if you are a similar rider......i.e dont push it hard all the time. I still push it hard and lean to the max of my ability........but its no racing pedigree by any means.

I now have real and feelable adjustments. Preload that is instantly feelable and registers straight away. Rebound is no different........you can feel even the minute of changes.

Thankyou Penske, and thankyou Stoltec Moto.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the 8983. I am installing fork springs from Stoltec after I have GP valve kit installed. Bought springs before Nick had finished piston kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All;
I weigh 170 and have found the fz suspension acceptable for me. Front end is very good. Have rear dialed in and that is also good. I think once the weight probably gets close to 200 there will be problems. Also, if you ride balls to the wall,
modifications will be needed. I'm 80 years old but still ride pretty well.
I spent 8 days at mountain view Ar and also did the breaking in there also.
The roads are marvelous and smooth. Rode Push mountain several times but the roads out of Mountain view such as hwy 9 and 5 are more intense. The back tire was to the edge. So road pretty good. Have the Dunlops and ran 28 front and 28 back. They warmed up nicely and no slipping. Got caught one day in heavy rain but rode very easy so no report on that. The back fender sucks. Got soaked front and back, also got very dirty.

Thanks
Valvestem ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Nick...we need a front/rear suspension + ECU flash package discount group buy!:cool:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love these kinds of threads. I just ordered my Penske the other day! I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I never did ask, but what's the wait like? I presume they're built to order, right?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes it is built to order. I didn't keep track of how long it took to get mine recently, um, 3 weeks or a bit less I guess.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I placed an order with Nick last week, and asked about the suspension stuff. He quoted me 4 weeks IIRC on the shock.
I love these kinds of threads. I just ordered my Penske the other day! I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I never did ask, but what's the wait like? I presume they're built to order, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't even have my bike yet (hopefully it will be delivered today) and I'm already looking to upgrade the suspension. I'm right around 200 lbs. and not sure which one I should go with. Has anyone around the same weight upgraded the shock and which one did you go with?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Brian,
I'm about 195 (215 with full gear) and I went with the Penske double clicker......the 8983. This one is fully adjustable, compression, rebound, and preload. I wanted something that is adjustable, not a fixed rate. It totally changes the rideability and handling of the bike.....money we'll spent.

Reactions: 10JGCSRT8

·
Registered
43 Posts
awesome! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
133 Posts
According to Traxxion, Ohlins has released a single clicker available @ $645.00. I'm leaning toward a double clicker...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts