Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, but if a random one, and not sure if it’s been done before. But, what do you guys and gal’s think the perfect bike to accompany an XSR900 would be. Any make, any model, any style.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Go old school/vintage! Depending on what you grew up on and when you started riding, you could go with vintage Jap or British built. You will have a lot of fun riding the old stuff and make you appreciate your modern xsr even more. I know when I go to a bike night or any gathering, seeing the old well maintained bikes always brings back memories and gathers quite the appreciative crowd.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Entirely subjective of course, but if we're talking about a two-bike garage, I think an inline-four supersport might do the trick. Where the XSR is pretty, torquey, and 'comfortable' (relatively speaking) the supersport has a totally different aesthetic with smooth, linear power, usually fitted with much better suspension, at the cost of back-aching ergo.

My FZ6 - while not exactly a supersport - has been picking up the slack on the days I don't ride the XS. I use the FZ for long highway commutes, iffy weather, and when I want that smooth power curve. The XS comes out when the sky is perfectly clear and I want to do wheelies.

In the past couple years I've put an average of 6-7,000 miles on each one, per year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Entirely subjective of course, but if we're talking about a two-bike garage, I think an inline-four supersport might do the trick. Where the XSR is pretty, torquey, and 'comfortable' (relatively speaking) the supersport has a totally different aesthetic with smooth, linear power, usually fitted with much better suspension, at the cost of back-aching ergo.

My FZ6 - while not exactly a supersport - has been picking up the slack on the days I don't ride the XS. I use the FZ for long highway commutes, iffy weather, and when I want that smooth power curve. The XS comes out when the sky is perfectly clear and I want to do wheelies.

In the past couple years I've put an average of 6-7,000 miles on each one, per year.
That’s a bit spooky. I part ex’d My ‘04 FZ6 for the XSR.

Was my first bike. And god was it comfortable. Especially compared to the seat on the XSR.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
What do you want? Adventure, dirt, track, classic, cruising, touring? The choice is as personal as your cage. I have a BMW F700 ADV bike for its super smooth ride characteristics. If our roads were smooth, I'd have a sportbike and a classic style. I love old twins like Norton and Triumph, but the new Thruxton R would be the ultimate throwback twin for me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This 1989 Honda Hawk GT 650

right.jpg

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 1989 Honda VFR 400 race/track bike
Very Nice Choice...

I did not race or track my 87 VFR400R but liked it a lot on our local twisty roads. Pretty rare here in the USA

·
Registered
301 Posts
IMG_3164.jpg

This heavy, hot FJR can eat a fast mile. Also will smoke the FZ in high end and won't leave you feeling beat at the end of a 400 mile day. The light FZ is a fun, fast, reliable commuter with easy parking, not much plastic to take off for maintainece, and does not have those pesky rider aids.

Oh, not an XSR, but does have a triple :3some:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here’s an alternative you might not think of. I rediscovered small bikes a couple of years ago and picked up a Versys 300 and a Duke 390 to go with my FZ09 and R1200RT. I have as much fun on the little bikes as I do on the big ones..... 03AF0116-4AC2-480D-8329-3C06A548F07F.jpeg

966E2A7E-AF7C-4915-8F3F-D09BD346556F.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Honda PCX150 that I use for popping around on, 40l top-case fitted.

Its just very convenient for shopping.

Only thing to check between 6000km service is tire pressure and that's that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts