Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lou,

Could you see this from your area? Not a good place to be visiting recently. I knew someone in Portland, Oregon when Mt. St. Helens blew who said they experienced ashes falling for several days afterward.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My sister actually lives in Whakatane, which is the coastal city right next to the island. Their biggest concern right now is possible subsequent eruptions that could lead to a local tsunami. Her house is supposedly not in the "tsunami zone", but just in case, she's ready to head for the hills on a moment's notice.

She didn't know any of the victims personally, but her partner's best friend lost a friend of his (one of the guides). Just a horrible way to go, and many people are still critical with burns... 😢

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
We thought we could see the initial plume last Monday, but nothing since. White Island has been active as long as I've been visiting the Bay of Plenty, my mind still boggles as to why people want to look into an active crater.
I've read enough about ship sinkings during the World Wars to know that superheated steam burns are the most horrific you can suffer, add chemical burns and you've got a nightmare situation. Another person died in a Aussie hospital over the weekend. There's bound to be more.
There's a lot that remains unexplained about why the tours continued during an increased activity phase. But I guess there'll be the usual enquiry. It's obvious that dollars were a big factor.
We were just talking about it on our morning walk, the great tragedy of these tourism disasters is how they wipe out families.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My mother was visiting there just a few weeks ago, and the subject of visiting the island came up. She decided not to go, because she didn't like the idea of standing on an active volcano! Until this week, she was kind of regretting missing the opportunity. Not any more.

Yes, that volcano is a huge economic boon for Whakatane, and this is going to hurt quite a bit. When you consider just how many people have gone to the island without incident, I guess they considered the money was worth the odds. There are all kinds of other "adventure tours" that have a higher mortality rate. Human nature to take these kinds of chances. We, as motorcyclists, should understand that, right?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My mother was visiting there just a few weeks ago, and the subject of visiting the island came up. She decided not to go, because she didn't like the idea of standing on an active volcano! Until this week, she was kind of regretting missing the opportunity. Not any more.

Yes, that volcano is a huge economic boon for Whakatane, and this is going to hurt quite a bit. When you consider just how many people have gone to the island without incident, I guess they considered the money was worth the odds. There are all kinds of other "adventure tours" that have a higher mortality rate. Human nature to take these kinds of chances. We, as motorcyclists, should understand that, right?
The difference for me is that I'm in control of my bike, if the worse happens I can try and do something about it. Same in the car. That's why I'm the worlds worst passenger and will never ride pillion.
This adventure tourism stuff reminds me of an old pilot friends reply when I asked him if he'd ever been sky diving,
"why the hell would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?".
I feel the same way about bungy jumping, wildlife parks and shark cage diving.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This particular volcano also has much higher odds of blowing, since it has done so several times in recent history.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
This particular volcano also has much higher odds of blowing, since it has done so several times in recent history.
I remember seeing plumes suddenly appear while were were rock fishing along the East Coast area.
It certainly grabbed your attention.
But there is a much bigger threat in Auckland. Rangitoto is an inactive volcanic island just a few km's from the CBD. It has a history of popping its cork every 900 years or so, it's well overdue.
I'm glad I'm 200 km's away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts