Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Friend of mine does this all the time to his rear (not on purpose). No burnouts, just pure torque on his RSV4 Factory. Good reminder to check tires often.

In terms of tire choice, I personally feel like they wear out so quickly that I鈥檓 not overly concerned. I don鈥檛 commute on my bike, so I always go for all out grip at the expense of wear, so Pirelli SC v3 has been my go to (I鈥檓 generally a fair weather rider who sometimes gets caught in the rain). Dunlop Q5 I鈥檓 curious to try at some point but on the track I stick with what drives my confidence. In reality, Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, they鈥檙e all very close with a few individual characteristics. If you have time before the change, you can also go to STG or ZLA (or CG) and order whatever tire you want as opposed to just sticking with what they have in stock at your local shop as they have more in warehouse. I used to love Revzilla but I really like Brian and Max Van so I try to support them more now whenever I can.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Good stuff, thanks man! I think you're dead on as far as this tire (previous owner didn't seem like a squid and took care of the bike) I think he just drove this rear into the ground. The rest of the tire supports that theory. I honestly don't know how I didn't notice that tear though, I was just getting the visual inspection done to expedite the registration process so glad the dude caught it. The place is 3 blocks from my house.

And I'm with ya on all these major players in the tire game are pretty dang close! Cyclegear had a lot of options to look at in stock. I did look at the Pirelli SC V3's and wow yaaa they are stickkkyyy. I actually considered them vs what I got (Power GP). I too, do not care much for tread life, I want sticky and confidence. I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to be going through a rear in 1000 miles but I highly doubt that will be the case with this Power GP and my riding style (no burnouts - just aggressive street riding on decent pavement and in decent/good weather). The Q5S honestly is probably a great tire just like the SC V3 Pirelli. I just read on reviews that the Pirelli is a "chemical based" compound and wears much quicker than the 2CT+ compound on the Power GP. But I'm splitting hairs here as far as longevity and stickiness on the street between the 2 (or 3 if you consider the Q5S). Honestly....what sold me was the profile/rounder shape of the Power GP vs the more "dip-in" triangular shape of the SC V3 and same with the Power 5, which I heavily considered. But one can tell by the damn near look of the tire (Power GP) that it grips all the way to the edge and has more surface contact due to the shape.

And yep, love STG. My next orders will be coming from them.

Registered
Good tip on STG tires, is ZLA revzilla?
Bought last tires thru Tires Unlimited, but I'm always interested in expanding the on-line search :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update: Figured I would clean the sprockets/counter sprocket area with the new DID chain going in tomorrow with this new tire. Was definitely a lot of gunk in there due to the previous owner not maintaining the chain very well.

As far as the speedmetal LED license plate bolt lights and TST low LP bracket install, ran into a small hiccup. The bolts are a tad too thick to make it through the TST liscense plate bracket holes smh! I was thinking I'll carefully dremel/screw out the bracket holes a tad. Don't want to ruin the nice finish of the anodized plate bracket. Any advice?

Also, I need to wire up these license plate bolt lights to the existing brake light wiring but don't want 2 scraggly wires hanging down spliced into the wiring by the top of the swingarm/over the tire. Can't I connect these wires someplace else, like through/under the seat?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Rim Bicycle part
Font Rectangle Art Paint Poster
Font Art Wire Cable Electrical supply

Registered
If you鈥檙e going to change the chain then I would recommend changing the sprockets too. Putting a new chain on old sprockets will wear it out quicker as the two merry together with use.

With the Speedmetal LED light, I would say return it and get the TST license plate light and just tap into the OEM wires. I鈥檝e just done the same thing on my R1. The light sticks to the back of the license plate and then you attach to the fender eliminator bracket.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks, these sprockets look good and I know everyone advises to do sprockets with chain but to me, sprockets should last much longer than 1 chain replacement. The chain wouldn't have been replaced this early (9k on the bike) if the PO woulda lubed it and cleaned it more often so 9k on sprockets seems premature to replace. The OEM sprockets on there look perfectly fine, just a little dirty. Sprocket(s) change next chain replacement though 馃榿

As far as the license plate bracket, where do you wire the TST bracket light? Surely you are not running wires down/tapping into the insulated oem wiring that runs across the back of the swingarm and into the chain gaurd. Where does that wiring go? Up into the seat? That's where I assumed I'd tap into.

Registered
I disagree with the advice to change chains and sprockets together. It has never made any sense to me: what do people mean that they wear as a set? As far a clearances go it's one of the loosest component sets on the bike, and there's more than enough forgivness between the parts for it not to matter. Where does this leave people that like to change their gearing, like changing out the front or rear sprockets from time to time? Have an entire chain and sprocket set on standby for each combination? It just doens't pass the sniff test, feels like one of those things passed down from forum poster to forum poster without regard to reality.

I am also fundamentally opposed to replacing components that are well within their useful life.

Registered
I don't know how anyone can let a tyre get that worn, and have to be told by an inspector that it's stuffed. It's our responsibility to ensure our bikes are safe.
I've had a few tires pop up showing cords unexpectedly. I'm pretty picky about maintenance, but that last bit of rubber really seems to evaporate. Years ago I just started buying rears two at a time to keep one handy. 2-3 rears to an oil change. It can sneak up on you.

OP, you can't go wrong with a PP 2CT. 2CT, S22, Pirelli Diablo.... whatever I can get the best price on at the moment. Only tires I've ever been unhappy with are every Dunlop I ever tried, street or dirt.

Registered
Glad he saw it because I didn't....I was scared to even ride her home! Rear tire.

I'm about to replace it/order a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear (180/55ZR17 73W) from RevZilla (I've had great success with them on the street with my previous bikes) unless there's something better out there that I dont know about?! Your thoughts?

View attachment 173918
Maybe you should take up knitting for a hobby?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Bingo Bango! 馃弽

Minor issue though...The new DID VX3 - 110 link chain has absolutely no more room for me to adjust the chain for more slack! I am maxed out at 19mm/0.75" of chain slack and I want to be at 31.75mm/1.25" 馃様

What gives? I mean if I thought this would be an issue, I would have bought a 120 link and cut it.

New vs Old Chain - The previous owner musta left her out in the rain a few times 馃憥馃挬

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Rim Bicycle part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Registered
Minor issue though...The new DID VX3 - 110 link chain has absolutely no more room for me to adjust the chain for more slack! I am maxed out at 19mm/0.75" of chain slack and I want to be at 31.75mm/1.25" 馃様

What gives? I mean if I thought this would be an issue, I would have bought a 120 link and cut it.
Larger than stock rear sprocket?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts