Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad he saw it because I didn't....I was scared to even ride her home! Rear tire.

I'm about to replace it/order a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear (180/55ZR17 73W) from RevZilla (I've had great success with them on the street with my previous bikes) unless there's something better out there that I dont know about?! Your thoughts?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Registered
Glad he saw it because I didn't....I was scared to even ride her home! Rear tire.

I'm about to replace it/order a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear (180/55ZR17 73W) from RevZilla (I've had great success with them on the street with my previous bikes) unless there's something better out there that I dont know about?! Your thoughts?

View attachment 173918
So did it pass inspection ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutley not lol. Heading to Cyclegear today.

Any suggestions on tires? Zero to no wet/riding for me so no Road 6 or things like that. I just need something thats sticky for street, has dual compund for highway rides etc. I don't ride the bike when there is bad weather so I dont need all the weather/wet traction tires. I was considering either good ole Pilot Powers 2CTs or Pilot Power 5s or Dunlop Q5S??
I feel like Michelin Road 6s are overkill and $$$. I was also considering Metzeler Sportec M9 RR

Registered
I have pretty much run the gamut when it comes to tires. None have disappointed when it comes to performance when riding at a spirited clip on the road. Some have been a let down as far as mileage goes. I went with dunlop roadsmart 3's late last year base on the reviews and the great price. Traction and feel is the same as any other quality tire I have used. Too early to say how long the rear is gonna last, but the price was great...$265.83 out the door for front and rear!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Real quick, I'm at Cyclegear and they have Pilot Power 5 / Pilot Power GP for the same price! I don't ride in the rain. Would the GP be the better tire? Arent both tires 2CT+ in the middle anyways? Seems the GP is grippier should I pull the trigger over the Pilot 5s?

Sidenote: They have a Dunlop Sportmax Q5S for only $25 more - but I'm still leaning towards the Power GP

Registered
Batmobile
Q5S is the latest and greatest, I'm going to be giving them a shot myself when I need tires this season. S22's have always been good to me as well

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I don't ride in the rain or snow etc...so to me it seems like the Michelin Power GP for the street is the stickiest while maintaining longevity due to the same exact 2CT+ middle compound as the latest Pilot Power 5.

Registered
Batmobile
I'm not too sure what the exact compounds are, but I think the s22 has a 3 compound build, really sticky sides and the center wears really nice. I don't really ride in the weather unless I have to. I don't think you can go wrong with the power GP though.

Registered
I have been rocking the Q3+ on my bike and am happy. They handle wet roads just fine once up to temp. I will definitely move on to the 5

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man....no Michelin guys here aye? Lol. The original photo I posted here with the exposed innards is the Q3+ rear that I'm replacing.

Here is the the Power GP I just picked up. It probably won't go on the bike for a week so if anyone can convince me to change, I can always return it for a Q5S or Power 5 or Road 6GT etc....I looked at them all in-person, and again...I just don't ride in any weather conditions outside of cold or hot or in-between so I don't know why I would want any other tire than the Power GP?? Change my mind :)

Automotive tire Helmet Tread Wood Automotive design
Helmet Sports gear Automotive tire Automotive design Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Registered
Unless you have the skills of Marquez and are able to feel the subtle differences between tires you really cant go wrong with anything from the major players in bike tires! Many years ago road racers would have loved to have the performance we get out of sport and sport touring tires!

Registered
2020 XSR900
I just (about a week ago) installed my second rear Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and couldn鈥檛 be happier. I was originally pointed towards this tire as I wanted Q3+s but they weren鈥檛 readily available, and I have nothing negative to say. I ride 99% street and avoid rain wherever possible and am beyond pleased. I got caught in a rainstorm a couple of days ago and they performed just fine. As much as I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest Dunlop set once my front wears out, I鈥檒l probably end up back on a pair of Power 2CTs. Sounds like you already have experience with this tire so maybe it鈥檚 a waste of time to type this out, but I can confirm that these tires are a great pairing with the XSR/MT and I鈥檝e had an absolute blast with them on the bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because you speak for the fz09.org community....calm your titts bud.

I'm just trying to see if I am missing anything here by not going with another tire given my use-case. Like I said, I just saw them all in-person and the profiles vary greatly. For example, the Sportmax Q5S to a Power 5 to this Power GP. The Power 5 and Q5S are visually more of a ^ (sloped) profile than say the Power GP which seemed almost wider (even though it isn't) due to the sidewall & soft shoulders going all the way to the edge of the tire (+ it's more of a upside down U rather than a V). So...my question is, if the center compound on the Power GP I purchased is the same 2CT+ compound as the Power 5, then I'm having a hard time understanding why I would want a Power 5. The Dunlop Q5S just doesn't really appeal to me unless again, someone can explain to me why I would get more longevity out of it as opposed to the Power GP. Like is the compound on the Q5S better er....? And to say that the Q5S is a stickier tire in any dry conditions is just Tom Foolery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that 35! Indeed the 2CTs are legendary, especially given the price! I mean...what, they've been around now for 12+ years? That says something.

I used to run them on my old bikes and loved em! The only reason I went to the Power GP is due to the more rounded profile of the tire. Both are 2CT+ compound in the middle though.

Registered
I don't know how anyone can let a tyre get that worn, and have to be told by an inspector that it's stuffed. It's our responsibility to ensure our bikes are safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts