Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went riding with a group of cruisers...others' impressions of the bike

(1) what is that thing?
(2) that's one of those off-road bikes, right?
(3) it's pretty! (from another girl)
(4) is that a dirt bike?
(5) you must tell me more about that bike!!

I had a blast riding the bike for 80 miles on country back roads. We were out all day, and the bike was great. I did not miss my cruiser at all.

What have others said about your bike when they first saw it?

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
260 Posts
I did not miss my cruiser at all.
This. I think I may be selling my Harley, because I don't want to ride it anymore.
Most cruisers say "I would get into trouble on that bike!"

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
It seems like everywhere I go on the FZ, someone is asking about it and many folks have heard about the FZ. Of course, everyone wants to know how I like it and is it really true about the suspension and the "choppy" throttle? Lots of great comments about the bike. So far, I've not had anyone ask me if I'll let them ride it.....except my good friend and riding buddy........and I let him because I trust him completely.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have had several ask to sit on mine. The comments range from "perfect" to "I couldn't ride this"
Only one has ask to ride it. I let him, he is a pilot, and often takes me flying.
His comment after the ride was "I don't need to be on this thing". That was in "B" mode.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I also noticed- you need to have long legs or be a taller person to flat foot this bike. The other comment I got was
(6) I would never be able to flat foot that bike, it's so tall!!

My feet are flat and I'm only 5'5" so I didn't think this was an issue. I never really thought about inseam before. A few of the guys on the ride yesterday would not be happy on this bike just because of its height.

Oh, I finally got to 67 mph yesterday. Whoo hoo. And, to rev it higher, ride in standard mode.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most peopel are very casual about their motorcycles and will never take the time to find out abotu what makes them tick..you just ran into a group like that...Be sure and ride soemthign with floorboards of you get time...you'll hate it!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Floor boards?? Yuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The FZ-09 seems to get everybody's attention. I would have to say its one of the most talked about bikes of the year. I've had a lot of guys comment on how sharp it looks and how fun it must be with the power to weight ratio etc. Most are shocked at the retail price as well. I did have a couple of younger guys (early twenties) talk about how "stupid" they thought the bike was. One person owned an R1 and another owned some sort of Harley. The dude with the R1 said that only "old" people ride FZ-09s and they're ugly because it had no fairings then asked me how fast it went. I said somewhere in the 130s...he said, "ha that's only 2nd gear for me." The kid on with the Harley said "I would never ride this cuz I like a bike with torque!" I told him that the FZ-09 is class leading in torque to which he replied, "Well I ride a bike that gets respect on the road!" As I walked away he muttered..."There are mopeds that go faster that those." I had to chuckle...it must be nice to have everything all figured out. I would like to find them again and get their opinions on life in general, I'm sure it would be very enlightening. Aside from those D-bags, the opinions have been very positive and most think its a very cool bike.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The FZ-09 seems to get everybody's attention. I would have to say its one of the most talked about bikes of the year. I've had a lot of guys comment on how sharp it looks and how fun it must be with the power to weight ratio etc. Most are shocked at the retail price as well. I did have a couple of younger guys (early twenties) talk about how "stupid" they thought the bike was. One person owned an R1 and another owned some sort of Harley. The dude with the R1 said that only "old" people ride FZ-09s and they're ugly because it had no fairings then asked me how fast it went. I said somewhere in the 130s...he said, "ha that's only 2nd gear for me." The kid on with the Harley said "I would never ride this cuz I like a bike with torque!" I told him that the FZ-09 is class leading in torque to which he replied, "Well I ride a bike that gets respect on the road!" As I walked away he muttered..."There are mopeds that go faster that those." I had to chuckle...it must be nice to have everything all figured out. I would like to find them again and get their opinions on life in general, I'm sure it would be very enlightening. Aside from those D-bags, the opinions have been very positive and most think its a very cool bike.
Harley riders are automatically unqualified to discuss motorcycle dynamics.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i was asked twice 2 different occasions if it was a Ducati and one sport bike rider asked how bad do you have to short shift that puppy with the up right riding position but all said it was a sharp looking bike never had any negative or off comments yet about the FZ09....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ive had my best friend looking on the internet at one after going on a ride with me only to have his wife slap his labtop down saying I dont think so ha ha.He used to have and FZ1 before shoulder problems made him sell it and get a street glide.I had 2 guys outside a pet store gawking over it we talked about 10 minutes they were really fascinated with it.I get a lot of 2nd looks at street lights when I'm stopped.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I rode my Orange FZ-09 to the Boise State University Football spring scrimmage and parked in front of the stadium like everyone else. When the game was over 17,000 blue and ORANGE dressed fans came out and I had over a hundred people geeking out over it and got too many thumbs up to count as I rode off.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
"That's different than what you normally ride." -That's about it...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Went riding with a group of cruisers...others' impressions of the bike

(1) what is that thing?
(2) that's one of those off-road bikes, right?
(3) it's pretty! (from another girl)
(4) is that a dirt bike?
(5) you must tell me more about that bike!!

I had a blast riding the bike for 80 miles on country back roads. We were out all day, and the bike was great. I did not miss my cruiser at all.

What have others said about your bike when they first saw it?

Rode about 120 miles with a group of beemerites, GS's... last Tuesday... They didn't say anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"What's that hanging off the bottom where the muffler should be?"
"How do you fit on that little bike?"
"Why would you want to ride that? My Shadow is so comfy I love sitting on it and cruising down the road behind my windshield with my feet stretched out."
A lot of questions fall into the "if you have to ask you won't understand the answer" category.

All in all a lot more positive impressions than negative ones. Had guys offering to trade straight up for bikes worth a lot more.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The kid on with the Harley said "I would never ride this cuz I like a bike with torque!" I told him that the FZ-09 is class leading in torque to which he replied, "Well I ride a bike that gets respect on the road!"
Certain deep thoughts can be properly explained with the bell curve.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts