Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So to use a term that my MSF course instructor would cringe at: I snatched the throttle and then the front break.

I snatched the throttle, accelerated too fast, realized that i had a speed bump coming up and snatched the brakes. Front break lockup and down i went. Radiator cap handle bars, left side of the engine, dented gas tank and various other scrapes. Looks like the 09 has some time in the garage. The good news is i'm just fine besides my pride a scraped face shield and some bruises on my right side.

More good news i was just out of my garage and just had to push it back in and promptly proceeded to the medicine cabinet for a preemptive strike against the aches. I plan to post some pics hopefully tomorrow once I stop sulking. This is just another lesson on just how much this bike is unsuited for beginners.

Having wetted everyones appetite for pictures i will leave with one last thought. My full face helmet saved me from some serious surgery, my padded ICON jacket saved me from some more serious bruises and scrapes, and my bilt pants with knee pads saved me from a lot of road rash. A lot of my friends said i wear too much gear, but it saved me from a lot of pain.

-z

The Pics of Shame
Bike:
Library Slideshow by zloikish | Photobucket

Helmet:
full face 1.jpg
full face 2.jpg
full face 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ouch! That you're fine is good news... too bad about the bike thou. ATGATT... because it's called an accident... and your friends didn't have to visit you in the hospital. Make sure they know that!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm definitely staying as positive as possible, and the lesson learned is that parking lots are for coasting and gear is for wearing. My inexperience shows in this incident, but it could have been much worse. The forces at work are extreme and all that gear saved me from an ambulance ride and a hospital stay at the very least.

Is it wrong that i'm excited to spend some time replacing parts, unless the insurance comes through. I was more worried about theft and cages than myself since I'm usually not an idiot. This was a cheap lesson in my opinion, my back and neck disagree though.

100th post...making me a senior member.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dang! Sorry this happened! My bike is in the garage so Im not looking at it, but isn't the radiator cap on the right side of the engine? Did it hit the ground on both sides? Anyway glad youre not hurt worse. Good call on the preemptive pain meds. Ice is good too. Hope youre back out riding it soon.

Ok everybody no more crashes this week! Ok?

Daniel

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! Sorry this happened! My bike is in the garage so Im not looking at it, but isn't the radiator cap on the right side of the engine? Did it hit the ground on both sides? Anyway glad youre not hurt worse. Good call on the preemptive pain meds. Ice is good too. Hope youre back out riding it soon.

Ok everybody no more crashes this week! Ok?

Daniel
Radiator cap got demolished, and unless they can just replace the cap and stem it needs a new radiator. I'm pretty sure that is the most extensive damage, and the only fluid leaking out. The covers on that side of the motor are all scraped but not cracked. Mirror is gone, the bar end did it's job and so did my rear spool. I need a new peg and brake pedal and everything down there.

-z

·
Registered
132 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok and you cannot skimp on protective gear, so glad you had yours on or it could have been much worse! Again so thankful you are ok, hope you heal up soon, the bike can always be repaired or replaced .

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Glad to hear you and the bike will recover, always surprising how much damage can result from an oops that isn't high speed or that hits anything other than pavement.

Safe / effective unexpected / emergency braking is one of the harder riding skills. The first problem bit you, snatching, too much initial bite causing dive and skid. Another common problem is that even experienced riders tend not to use the front brake as hard as they should after the initial bite so their stopping distance is longer than it might have been. Either they are afraid to fully use the front brake or they haven't practiced hard braking enough for it to be reflexive.

I believe in frequent emergency braking practice (out of sight of traffic! lol). If it's sudden/hard enough to simulate an emergency I don't enjoy it, I've never dropped a street bike doing it but several times have started a front wheel skid, was able to recover but big pucker factor.

Practicing non-emergency hard braking is enjoyable, less initial bite, and increase the front brake pressure slower, you can still stop really fast. Practice finding the point at which the rear wheel starts to lift off the ground. For max braking you want it on the ground, but IMO a rider should know what it feels like and be able to set it back down while still breaking so if it happens in an emergency you won't freak out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im sorry to hear about this z and Im glad youre ok. I appreciate you posting about your fall on this forum. Your posting reminds me to be careful always, in every situation, because even in a parking lot you can take a fall.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this Z...glad it wasn't worse.
Sounds like its time for aftermarket upgrades!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Good to hear that you are relatively OK and the bike can be repaired. As V2Bob posted, practicing emergency/hard braking stops will give you a lot more experience and riding skills that can be applied at times like that. Most folks don't have a clue how to do hard braking unless they practice it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Something to be said for gear.

I have seen cruiser riders with the beanie helmets face plant with serious to fatal results.

I wear a "real" helmet on my antique as well as modern bike.

Video, below , of double crash in front of us at Palomar.

Blue R-1 rider wasn't too bad off considering the front wheel was literally broke off of his forks.

I'm yellow jacket on yellow Aprilia RSV 4 Tuono.

Fast forward to 2:00 minutes if video doesn't already do so.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm very happy that you walked away and no one else was involved. Everything else is of far lesser importance. Bummer about your FZ-09, but it will be good as new soon enough.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Something to be said for gear.

I have seen cruiser riders with the beanie helmets face plant with serious to fatal results.

I wear a "real" helmet on my antique as well as modern bike.

Video, below , of double crash in front of us at Palomar.

Blue R-1 rider wasn't too bad off considering the front wheel was literally broke off of his forks.

I'm yellow jacket on yellow Aprilia RSV 4 Tuono.

Fast forward to 2:00 minutes if video doesn't already do so.
Holy crap...
I think we should all watch at least 5 crash videos before riding...just to keep us grounded.
That guy was pushing it

·
Registered
877 Posts
Holy crap...
I think we should all watch at least 5 crash videos before riding...just to keep us grounded.
That guy was pushing it
Ironic since we caught them in 2 minutes, with them having a 20 to 30 second head start.

Main problem I could see is that they didn't quite have the body hangoff thing figured out.

As a result , they were leaned over too much for their speed.

You can see we aren't as far over at about the same speed.

I backed off a bit entering the same corner and watched them, sensing a crash before the start of the lowside.

Lead bike started to low side, spun up his back tire, and shook the rear end.

It looked like he got straightened out and was in the dirt thinking he made "the save" .

What he didn't know was that there was a light brown rock the size of a suitcase, the same color as the dead leaves around it.

It was also on the inside edge of a tree shadow.

Caught him by surprise and he went straight over the bars.

The rock didn't even budge, though the lower forks and wheel were broken.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ironic since we caught them in 2 minutes, with them having a 20 to 30 second head start.

Main problem I could see is that they didn't quite have the body hangoff thing figured out.

As a result , they were leaned over too much for their speed.

You can see we aren't as far over at about the same speed.

I backed off a bit entering the same corner and watched them, sensing a crash before the start of the lowside.

Lead bike started to low side, spun up his back tire, and shook the rear end.

It looked like he got straightened out and was in the dirt thinking he made "the save" .

What he didn't know was that there was a light brown rock the size of a suitcase, the same color as the dead leaves around it.

It was also on the inside edge of a tree shadow.

Caught him by surprise and he went straight over the bars.

The rock didn't even budge, though the lower forks and wheel were broken.
Oh I agree, you guys were better riders and caught them easily. But it seemed to me like they got the race bug when they saw you on their heels, and the lead rider decided to show how fast he could carve. He was really leaned over when he started to slide...too far for the street IMO. Like you said, you could have cornered with the same speed with better body position. It's a dangerous game we play...we have to keep our wits

·
Registered
877 Posts
Oh I agree, you guys were better riders and caught them easily. But it seemed to me like they got the race bug when they saw you on their heels, and the lead rider decided to show how fast he could carve. He was really leaned over when he started to slide...too far for the street IMO. Like you said, you could have cornered with the same speed with better body position. It's a dangerous game we play...we have to keep our wits

I usually have concern about that, which why we don't get close unless they have full skins and not levis on.

They were well ahead of us and didn't know we were on their tail.

We saw their extreme lean angle from a distance, which is why we slowed to scope them out before deciding when to pass in a way that wouldn't spook them.

Hell , the camera bike was a modest stock SV 650.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts