Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished up my homemade fender eliminator, so I decided to take it for a test ride just to make sure everything worked fine. Got back home, decided that I had enough miles to do the first oil change, and went at it while the motor was still warmed up. Everything went fine, until I needed to get the oil filter off... It was on RIDICULOUSLY TIGHT. Couldn't get it off with my cheap-ass oil filter wrench, so I resorted to the time tested technique of hammering a screwdriver through the filter to use it as a lever. Filter still wouldn't come off, it was bending the screwdriver, and then it literally ripped through both sides of the filter!!

At this point I'm fuming, and I decided to just walk away from it for a bit, let myself calm down. I come back a couple hours later, and decide to give the screwdriver method another try in a different spot. The mutilated filter came off this time. Success... I thought... Then I saw this :mad: :mad:

Apparently after "Attempt #2", I hammered the screwdriver through with enough rage that it punctured part of the cooling system.... %$*& me. I shouldn't allow myself to work on things lol. It has a small pinhole, you can see a drop of coolant hanging on at the bottom.

So what exactly did I wreck?? I am assuming that I can take off the hoses, lock tab & the nut holding it on, clean it well and then I will attempt to TIG weld it shut. Please tell me if there's anything else I need to know... Gaskets I need to replace behind the part, specific coolant I need, whatever. Thanks guys :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I believe the part in question is the oil cooler... but that's all the help I can be... :sad:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely leaking coolant, the liquid coming out is blue, but that's all I know about it. So the oil cooler has coolant being circulated through it, assuming that's what the part I punctured is? Gah. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's the oil cooler. Likely not cheap to buy. I've seen a product at a gun show (I believe) where the guy used it to fill a punctured hole in an aluminum can heating it with a regular propane torch. I don't remember the product name, but you could probably check online and find something equivalent. Of course flame near an engine wouldn't be a good idea, but perhaps a soldering iron. I would probably first try calling a local metal shop if there's one close by, and see if they could solder it somehow. I always use a cap wrench when possible, or a strap wrench. Never had to resort to the screwdriver in 40+ years of changing oil and filters. Always put a drop of new oil on the filter gasket before putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you for confirming what the part is! The good news is that I'm handy enough with a TIG welder, so if I can get the backside clean I'm confident I can fix it. I'm most worried about if there's anything I don't know about when it comes to removing & reinstalling it... Steps I need to take to prevent leaks, that sort of thing. Thanks again

·
Registered
584 Posts
take it to a radiator shop, two things circulate in it. Oil and water in different cavities. They can hot tank it and flame solder it I my opinion.

Reactions: ktk_ace and DNFDOUG

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Hell, I'd just try a dab or two of JB weld and let her dry a bit. Might work, or at least buy ya some time.

Or, go to one of those over priced dealers out of state, the kind who try to ad 1000 prep fees. Ask to take one of those new FZ-09's for a test ride. Bring an oil filter wrench, and some sockets in yer jacket pocket and..:evil6:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or, go to one of those over priced dealers out of state, the kind who try to ad 1000 prep fees. Ask to take one of those new FZ-09's for a test ride. Bring an oil filter wrench, and some sockets in yer jacket pocket and..:evil6:
I know that dealer... They don't sell Yamaha though. Lol :rolleyes: But that's funny.

I thought about JB weld, but not sure how well it would cure with liquid right behind it... I'd rather just fix it right anyway. I have some time before the real riding season gets here. The oil cooler assembly for the R1 costs about $250... Ouch, no thanks :( No way do I want to pay that much for a stupid mistake I made, that's just adding insult to injury

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I looked at the parts diagram for a R1 a bit closer, since I haven't seen any for this system of the FZ-09 yet. Looks like there's an o-ring seal where it meets the engine block, and a small gasket behind the bolt holding the assembly on. Hopefully I can reuse them... If not, at least they don't break the bank. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That suck!

Those are heat exchanger... been around for ages. They do 2 things... they warm up your oil or cool it down to water temp. If it leak coolant (the green stuff) you should be ok to get it fix at a rad shop. Coolant usually keep about 15-20 psi of pressure. If it's oil you need a new one. The bike will still run fine without it if you bypass the water lines. But it won't keep your oil in temp range. You know there other options than hammer and screw drivers... LOL

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That suck!

Those are heat exchanger... been around for ages. They do 2 things... they warm up your oil or cool it down to water temp. If it leak coolant (the green stuff) you should be ok to get it fix at a rad shop. Coolant usually keep about 15-20 psi of pressure. If it's oil you need a new one. The bike will still run fine without it if you bypass the water lines. But it won't keep your oil in temp range. You know there other options than hammer and screw drivers... LOL

Yes, thankfully it's just leaking coolant, no oil. He he... I know there are other options than hammers and screwdrivers, and that's why I should know better than to work on my bike when I'm pissed off! Lol. Lesson learned, that's all I can say.

And I thought about using JB weld or a plumbers epoxy, but I've decided against it. I'm going to weld it, and the last thing I need is to worry about is contaminating the weld from something like that. Gonna be tricky enough to clean as it is.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My old cheapo Wal-mart oil filter wrench got stuck on my filter and I had to bang it off. I loaned it to a friend and it just spun on his. They use a trained gorilla to put the original filters on - and I probably wasted the wrench on mine. He shredded his oil filter too - but he did it with channel locks... At least it shared his exchanger...

If you can get a good bead on thin metal with your TIG welder then I'd say to go for it. If you don't trust it then cycle salvage would be my source - just cross check the parts numbers to as many bikes as possible...

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, that sounds familiar. I'm not too worried about welding it, I fixed a hole about the same size in an aluminum cake pan for my girlfriends mother a while ago, and that metal was way thinner. I ain't even scared :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everything went fine, until I needed to get the oil filter off... It was on RIDICULOUSLY TIGHT. Couldn't get it off with my cheap-ass oil filter wrench, so I resorted to the time tested technique of hammering a screwdriver through the filter to use it as a lever. Filter still wouldn't come off, it was bending the screwdriver, and then it literally ripped through both sides of the filter!!
FYI---Obviously too late to help now, but I found that the oil filter wrench for my ex-wife's Honda Civic fits the Yamaha filter perfectly. I bought the Honda brand oil filter wrench (Part # 07AAA-PLCA100) because the oil pan on the Civic made it hard to get the oil filter off with a strap-type wrench. Pricy at ~ $24 bucks, but it sure makes filter removal easy.

Linky.

IMG_1612comp.jpg IMG_1611.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts