Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well maybe carnage is a bit strong.....Dumb A** is a bit conservative

I failed to verify that it was in gear parking on my gravel driveway:mad: I swear it clicked GRRRRRR

The really dumb thing is, it was put up in the garage. I got it back out to clean it up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice bike ive been in your neck of the woods many times. My first scratch i probably wont handle it as good as it seems u did. If u dont mind me asking what is the ballpark $ for the mods u have done been looking around only thing is the double over the triple shock. I have no idea on mods at all never done just always jumped on and rode. Might see u around hwy 111 sometime plan on riding up that way some.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I know how you feel... I dropped my '86 900 Ninja (might of had 3000 Kms on it) turning around in a fairly steep gravel driveway. Lost my footing on the low side of the slope and down she went! Arrrrgggghh! I was so pissed off I had no trouble pushing that 530 lbs back up onto its wheels... I can remember it like yesterday... :mad:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sorry to read about the damage, but the video describing your modifications was very interesting. I'm still considering what changes to make after the Woodcraft sliders. Finally got out today on my FZ-09 for the first time in what seems like forever and, like you, spent a while cleaning her up afterward. I liked seeing your dog in the video, too!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice bike ive been in your neck of the woods many times. My first scratch i probably wont handle it as good as it seems u did. If u dont mind me asking what is the ballpark $ for the mods u have done been looking around only thing is the double over the triple shock. I have no idea on mods at all never done just always jumped on and rode. Might see u around hwy 111 sometime plan on riding up that way some.
There are a lot of nice rides up this way, but the stock suspension made me and the bike very nervous....Not good next to a 60'+ drop or guard rail.

Nick has several options on his site Fz-09 | StoltecMoto You can get a double clicker and springs that you install for around $1100. It goes up and up from there. You could also buy his springs and the ebay shock for a couple hundred. I don't remember what shock people are using, but several have done it for cheap. It is all reversible, so you can go the budget route and upgrade as cash allows IMO.

Oh and BTW I said much worse as I watched the bike slowly fall over.....no real harm done. Good Luck! Hope to see you on the road

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know how you feel... I dropped my '86 900 Ninja (might of had 3000 Kms on it) turning around in a fairly steep gravel driveway. Lost my footing on the low side of the slope and down she went! Arrrrgggghh! I was so pissed off I had no trouble pushing that 530 lbs back up onto its wheels... I can remember it like yesterday... :mad:
I had a new gpz 1100 in the 90's, it might of had 600 miles on it. I pulled into a "friends" driveway, she was on the porch excited to go for a ride. As I was turning the bike around in her narrow concrete drive, I slipped on an ant hill (sandy spot) and fell and was trapped under the bike. That was a much worse moment than today :)

Sorry to read about the damage, but the video describing your modifications was very interesting. I'm still considering what changes to make after the Woodcraft sliders. Finally got out today on my FZ-09 for the first time in what seems like forever and, like you, spent a while cleaning her up afterward. I liked seeing your dog in the video, too!
I have 2 other dogs as well. 2 of the 3 are rescues, all over 100 lbs. but they do a good job watching my garage while I am gone! Most people will not get out of the car.

Reactions: bigweb2001

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bummer. Sorry to hear that happened to you
No worries, just a dumb moment. At least it didn't happen when I was out on the road today. Besides that makes it a bit closer to being track day eligible.:evil6:

·
Registered
385 Posts
this happens to the best of us, thanks for sharing as it helps to remind us not to be complacent. Bike still looks great with all the mods, now you don't have to worry about that first scratch.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd just get some LED turn signals to complete the look of it.. I'm not a fan of those grapefruit sized stock signals.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd just get some LED turn signals to complete the look of it.. I'm not a fan of those grapefruit sized stock signals.
I don't love them either, once I get the front a bit more sorted, I will start looking at some LEDs. Silly I know, but the looks are not my 1st priority.
Secondly I won't compromise visibility, my dad was rear ended at a stop light on his bike with low profile tinted lights on it. Not sure it mattered, but it didn't help.
Any lighting changes will be equal or greater visibility for the cagers.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this happens to the best of us, thanks for sharing as it helps to remind us not to be complacent. Bike still looks great with all the mods, now you don't have to worry about that first scratch.
Thanks, that is why I posted about it. I will likely repaint the cover. Most people will never notice it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bummer, man. I know the perfect fix, click the 389 link in my sig, that should make you feel right as rain!
Yeah I have read much of that thread.
My take on the situation is, if you are going to have a sporty bike, AND use it as intended, you have a pretty good chance that it WILL make sparks sooner or later. When you add inexperience to the mix, well shit happens.

I grew up on dirt bikes, so that might be skewed a bit. In MX, I felt if I didn't ever crash, I wasn't learning. It's a lot more expensive to "learn" on the street.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
No worries, just a dumb moment. At least it didn't happen when I was out on the road today. Besides that makes it a bit closer to being track day eligible.:evil6:
Brian, here I was was startin' to feel almost teary eyed for you, for dropping the bike.....you know, then offer my condolences and then low and behold, the last line of your comment above .......about making it closer to being track day eligible....

SMILE man, you are on your way!

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the drop. Most of us have done it at some time or another and it's just one of those things when a brain fart and the real world happen to meet at the same time. Glad it wasn't much damage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian, here I was was startin' to feel almost teary eyed for you, for dropping the bike.....you know, then offer my condolences and then low and behold, the last line of your comment above .......about making it closer to being track day eligible....

SMILE man, you are on your way!

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the drop. Most of us have done it at some time or another and it's just one of those things when a brain fart and the real world happen to meet at the same time. Glad it wasn't much damage.
LOL Thanks Vern

Seriously tho, I spewed my profanity filled, self deprecating rant, that would make Debra Morgan blush..... now I'm over it.
Like I said in the video, If this is the worst thing that I do to this bike, I'm good!
I hope it reminds someone else not to do the same.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I bought a very lightly used CBR 1000 Hurricane in 1992 (it was an '88 model) and the guy I bought it from told me, always park the bike in gear........always! With less than a week of ownership, I stopped it one day, got off the bike with it in neutral and the engine idling, and took about ten steps before she rolled forward and fell over on the left side. This bike was in perfect condition and looked like it just came off the showroom floor. I was sick to my stomach over it, but it taught me a lesson. I NEVER park a bike in neutral......no matter what!

Reactions: Travis and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did the same with my new GPZ 1100. It was on the side stand warming up in the garage, door open, I was putting on helmet and gloves. I turned around just to see it fall.
The worst thing here is that I THOUGHT it was in gear, but didn't verify before getting off. Hell it could have rolled all the way to my garage EEK. It could have been worse for sure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even in the garage?
YEP read above, I had one fall off the side stand in my garage while running....prolly 1992 or3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts