Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone looked at the pipes closely. I finally got around to touching them and felt all kinds of bumps on the back side. It actually appears to me they welded the equalizer tubes between them and splattered lots of slag on the pipes and only polished it off the front side. I was wondering if this was the case with all their bikes, Chime in if you wish if you have an Fz-09 now and see if this is normal.

I guess another cost savings. The headers are stainless at least but not the rest of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
If you look at the welds, you can tell it was MIG welded. Some "spatter", the small balls of metal you see, is normal and unavoidable with that process... It's the tradeoff you get. It keeps productivity high and price low. Every factory exhaust I've ever seen is welded this way. Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, MV Agusta, you name it... Aftermarket companies usually TIG weld, and the price reflects that.

The entire exhaust system is stainless by the way. But the main header tubes are treated with a corrosion resistant coating, that's why they look different. The rest of the exhaust after the collector, muffler included, is 409 stainless.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you look at the welds, you can tell it was MIG welded. Some "spatter", the small balls of metal you see, is normal and unavoidable with that process... It's the tradeoff you get. It keeps productivity high and price low. Every factory exhaust I've ever seen is welded this way. Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, MV Agusta, you name it... Aftermarket companies usually TIG weld, and the price reflects that.

The entire exhaust system is stainless by the way. But the main header tubes are treated with a corrosion resistant coating, that's why they look different. The rest of the exhaust after the collector, muffler included, is 409 stainless.
I was worried for a moment there.Who uses chromed steel these days?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

+1

This is exactly what I thought... I've tried to TIG weld before, its not an easy skill to pick up. More reason to invest in an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guess I was too simple minded about stainless. Used a magnet and sure attaches to the belly bulge but not the headers. So I will look up 409 stainless to see how bad it rusts if it does. Well at least Yamaha cleaned off the spatter on the easily accessible front of the pipes. I still feel I got my moneys worth. If I ever take off the pipes they will be cleaned and polished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts