Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been searching high and low to figure out what's wrong with my motorcycle. No luck. Hoping a mechanical mind can help me on this forum. If I have to take it to the shop, I want to have an idea of what to tell the mechanic (if I can't fix it myself).

I have a 2014 FZ-09 with 17k miles. The first 4 services (12k miles) were done at the Yamaha dealership. The bike has never spent a night outside of the garage, never crashed or dropped, and is about as good of condition as a 17k bike can be.

About a month ago, my bike for the first time had trouble cold starting. Would take 2-3 tries. This happened about 4 different times throughout the week. That problem went away and what replaced it was something worse.

Now my bike starts right up every time (like usual), but the fueling is way off. When I try to keep steady RPMS my bike will suddenly drop or shudder in RPMs and then suddenly shoot back up without my hand moving at all. I've been riding dirtbike since I was 5 and rarely stall my motorcycles, but am always fighting a stall by basically drag race starting my motorcycle away from a light/ stop sign. I just don't know when the RPMS will suddenly drop when I try to accelerate from a stop. The problem is especially bad when trying to accelerate smoothly.

Sometimes, when I start up my bike for first time and baaaarely give it any revs in neutral, the bike will idle really slowly and then cut off. Almost like it's got a very weak idle to begin with.

At first I thought (and hoped) it might be the battery, since fueling is all done electrically these days. I replaced the battery and problem continued. So I replaced spark plugs. Didn't help.

Occasionally, when the bike gets real warm (like 200 degrees) the problem will go away, but it can come back at any moment. I actually rode it yesterday with no issues at all until I was bout 1 mile from my house. Then the throttle started to randomly cut out again (but not as bad).

I've basically decided to stop riding the bike until I get it fixed out of fear of messing something up.

Here's a video I took of the problem:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Hey twill, it's a 14 so for sure you are getting a code on the dash.
I agree with Woof but it could also be the APS (Accelerator Position Sensor).
Either of these will document a diagnostic code and tell you exactly what the problem is.
I had an APS go bad several years ago but mine acted nothing like yours.
With a little help from a forum member and my handy dandy service manual I was back in business in no time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You might also want to check the fuel filter in the pump....a lot are supposed to be non serviceable but some have luck by reverse flushing with clean fuel. If there is a 't' bag type of filter they can be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts