Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this, but frankly can't come up with a search term to describe what I found when I looked behind the headlight. This really isn't a big deal, just a WTF moment.

I have my headlight off to replace my front turn signals. The first thing that caught my attention was a little rat tail of wires crudely wrapped up in electrical tape and tucked in behind the headlight. I have seen worse, but it really looks like something a meth head would do with some extra wires from a car stereo. I'm curious if this is common, or if my dealership had their mitts on it when they did the headlight recall. Everything functions, I just really wonder why this would be here. It doesn't look like something a factory would do, but this is my first Yamaha. Here is a picture of the work:

2015-03-26 22.47.52.jpg

The other thing that caught my attention is the very crude wire routing. The instrument cluster's wiring harness wasn't routed through the metal retaining ring with the throttle cables, but was bent sharply around the bracket. I noticed that there was resistance when I tried to tip the headlight back into position that it was catching on something. The headlight was pinching the instrument cluster wires between itself and the bracket. I spent about 30 minutes removing their wire clips and rerouting and tying the wires myself. Almost every single wire found a better home. Getting that harness through the metal ring was a pain with that big rubber boot, but I got it. Anybody want to check and see if this is the way they normally come? Here is a picture of the wire rerouted:

2015-03-26 23.02.22.jpg

I'm probably being OCD here, but I figured I'd let people know so they can check for their own peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'd venture to say if you had your dealer do the headlight recall, that's most likely their 'work'. Nothing I've ever seen on any Yamaha I've owned is half ass wrapped like that, and from what I understand, the headlight 'fix' comes with a whole roll of electrical tape. Only a lazy ass American 'tech' would do that kind of shoddy work, and the crappy harness routing was probably incidental to when they had your headlight off for the extension they wired in and needed somewhere convenient to route the extra wiring. Probably figured you'd never have the headlight off and would never notice it--pathetic really...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't have them do it, but it is my understanding that they are required to do it or they can't sell it...(per their deal with Yamaha, may be wrong) I didn't even ask them if they did it. I bought it after the recall was issued.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is it a 14 model? If so, there's a pretty good chance they may have done it as required by Yamaha before they could sell it. Sucks, tho, that's a crappy looking job...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm glad you posted this.

I've never had my recall done.
I expected a plug'n play extension. Guess I was wrong.
'N thought about having it done since the weather is turning around.

Suks about your hack job.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I purchased the Extension Plug from Amazon ($6) Doug suggested a few months ago and it worked like a charm.:cool:

But it didn't come with a roll of electrical tape.:(

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. I'm pretty pissed about this now. A big motivation for buying "new" was that I knew some tweaker wasn't hacking wires apart for his sweet street-glowz super LED ground effectz kit(tm).

Now I don't know if I cut it apart and make it better, I'm not an expert on wires but I know how to solder... or If I just tie it up out of the way and hope I forget it's there.

I don't let anyone work on my bike, for this exact reason. GDI this is frustrating.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
The owner of the dealership should be alerted to what his ace mechanic is doing when left to his own devices. If he doesn't convince you that he'll take action with his mechanic, you should post a negative review on the store. The cutting and taping could be a Yamaha recall procedure, but not the instrument cluster wire routing. And, if the Yamaha procedure is crappy, the dealer should tell them that and demand a harness extension for future recalls.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes that is the effect of the recall fix. Someone here had a great suggestion in an earlier thread about the recall. Something about creating friction with your finger tips on each wire in an effort to stretch the insulation longer. Fold the insulation over and then heat shrink wrap the ends so water can't get in. Great idea. Might be worth trying if you're concerned.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, the headlight recall is a cut and tape job. They then pull pins from the switchgear to wire in a new headlight lead. It is the most invasive way possible to extend the harness. Which is why a good many have opted out, because it is a hack job.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so if I understand correctly, this rat tail is the old headlight lead they just cut off and taped up the exposed dead ended wires? Holy ****. It's just.... so mind bendingly idiotic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got to go back behind my headlight and clean it up some too. It's even worse when you install the tripage LED headlight bulb because because now I have a few more inches of wire tucked away back there. Plus a little metal box on the wire that probably regulates electricity to the LED and a heat sink. In fact when I first installed the new bulb I had to experiment with where to put everything cuz it was preventing me from turning the handlebars lock to lock. Besides that the LED works great. Thanks for the pics. I'll have to have another look at it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yeah. I'm pretty pissed about this now. A big motivation for buying "new" was that I knew some tweaker wasn't hacking wires apart for his sweet street-glowz super LED ground effectz kit(tm).

Now I don't know if I cut it apart and make it better, I'm not an expert on wires but I know how to solder... or If I just tie it up out of the way and hope I forget it's there.

I don't let anyone work on my bike, for this exact reason. GDI this is frustrating.
I wish I had the Amazon link. I'll look later. The short extension cord is ideal for this specific fix....practically custom made. Order one and fix your FZ up right....The cost is practically nothing.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my case the shop said that they were using an extension for the recall fix. Haven't looked behind the headlight to verify.

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
In my case the shop said that they were using an extension for the recall fix. Haven't looked behind the headlight to verify.
There is an extension... but it goes in AFTER they cut the bikes harness, tape off the wires, pull several pins from the switch gear, then insert the pins into an "extension" to create a new lead to the light.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish I had the Amazon link. I'll look later. The short extension cord is ideal for this specific fix....practically custom made. Order one and fix your FZ up right....The cost is practically nothing.:)
Kind of pointless for me now. They already butchered it... For everyone else, glad I could show you what to avoid... For those of you looking to buy a leftover new 2014, might want to ask them what method they used to fix it before you buy it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts