Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noticed it for first time today. During light braking or when your just sitting on the bike and compressing the suspension, there is a weird clicking/popping... It's easy to duplicate by holding the front brake and pushing bike forward to compress forks. A thread I checked out said it could be the brakes? My techs at work told me it could be steering head bearings but I pulled the triple off and I can't see any movement at all.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Haha.. So it's normal then? I've never felt it before...
I cant say if its normal, but Ive never heard it on my bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had caliper move on the rear wheel ones, making noise, because the dealer didnt tighten the rear axle enough after adjusting the chain.

Can that be it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you wanna hear floating brake sound, try this:
1. Apply & Hold the front brake.
2. While holding brake lever, pull the bike backward.
3. While holding brake lever, push the bike forward (compress front shock)... then you'll hear the "CLICK" sound. Its normal mate.

Anyway if you push forward again the sound should gone. The Click sound on disc brake should have only the first push forward. If you still heard the click sound then its might came from another source, not from floating brake.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you wanna hear floating brake sound, try this:
1. Apply & Hold the front brake.
2. While holding brake lever, pull the bike backward.
3. While holding brake lever, push the bike forward (compress front shock)... then you'll hear the "CLICK" sound. Its normal mate.

Anyway if you push forward again the sound should gone. The Click sound on disc brake should have only the first push forward. If you still heard the click sound then its might came from another source, not from floating brake.
It's just so odd... It's not really a click but more of a thud/pop. It will do it when I come in for a corner and then slow down a little and then pull brakes more to make suspension compress and then you hear the noise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yup. Brakes can make different sounds. If it makes a buzzing sound too that's normal.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Reactions: maruno88

·
Registered
26 Posts
The big nut between the handlebar mounts on mine came loose after I put a couple thousand miles on it, made some funny noises until I figured out what it was and got it tightened back down. You could really feel it when you hit the brakes at higher speeds and when you hit bumps in the road. Just something to check. I took mine off by hand it was so loose.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would agree with everyone else about the noise being the floating brake rotors. Every bike I've owned has done the same thing. What you don't want is what I had on my SV650: you could move the rotor radially by about 1/2." Then again, I put over 90K on those rotors so they were shot. The SV had a bad habit of loosening steering head bearings which feels different: the clunk occurs after you let off the brake. If you're going to check your steering head bearings, you probably need the special tool to torque them properly, but the SuperTenere folks have also found that the nut referred to above tends to get loose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wish i looked this up when i first bought the bike!! I've been panicking since day one with this noise. To me it sounds like its the front wheel fender hitting something. I feel much better knowing its normal. Thank you fellas!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can feel the same thing in my forks. The thud and popping sensation feel like it is inside the fork tube though. I will play around with it tonight again, but it sounds like the consensus is brake rotors. Never felt this on any of my other bikes though.

Update: it's the brake rotors. Thanks guys

·
Registered
111 Posts
With my bike it was definitely the steering head bearings.

After greasing and adjusting them the noise persisted because the top nut would not snug down on the top triple clamp because of the cap on the nut, a thin washer was required to take up the gap.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm pretty sure after watching that video that I am hearing the same thing on my 2017...sounds exactly the same and I only noticed it around 800 miles on the bike...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts