Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to keep my FZ-09 outside due to living in an apartment. Anybody got an opinion on a high quality product to keep the paint and such looking as new as possible? I wash the bike pretty often but I worry about the paint and plastic peices losing color and fading. Actually gives me nightmares.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I lived in an apartment I rolled it just inside the door at night. My wife was thrilled. Silver and black CBR600F4i. Had to sell it when I realized they were Oakland Raiders colors.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Wax..??? I'll ask my wife for you :cool:

Reactions: Quasi and Lee Drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I lived in an apartment I rolled it just inside the door at night. My wife was thrilled. Silver and black CBR600F4i. Had to sell it when I realized they were Oakland Raiders colors.
Hahaha too funny. Apologies for my streetbike ignorance everybody, I'm just a washed up motocrosser, I'm learning these things as I go. I appreciate the help though. I live in an apartment complex that's basically 100% snooty med students and other assorted young professional wuss asses, although I think I'm the only investment banker. The scattered tools, oil pans etc certainly make my patio stand out.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you wax it, I would stick with something designed for "clear coat" that is non abrasive. You don't want swirl marks.

karate_kid_wax_on_wax_off_-_4_5_x_6_decal_546a3184.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used liquid glass on mine. Looks awesome. I used it on my car too, and that's been beading water for 5 years

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Cover the bike.

Wax the bike weekly with something simple and easy like lemon pledge.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I use Glare on all of our vehicles. My 2006 Saturn, in black, that resides outside the garage, looks amazing. I've always used it on my bikes. Let's face it, all modern waxes are great though...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wax and cover are great. Use Aerospace 303 protectant for all other parts. You'll read plenty of great reviews, but I use it on my car headlights and all the black plastic trim to keep things from fading or yellowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hahaha too funny. Apologies for my streetbike ignorance everybody, I'm just a washed up motocrosser, I'm learning these things as I go. I appreciate the help though. I live in an apartment complex that's basically 100% snooty med students and other assorted young professional wuss asses, although I think I'm the only investment banker.
Investment banking and health care. My two favorite industries. LOL

I recommend Chemical Guys V38. It's a final polish so good for new paint.

For the paint that has a few years on it, start with V36 (cutting polish) then V38.

If you really want to do it right and make the job easy, pick up one of these:

PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher

If you get a cover, make sure it's a good one that won't melt your paint.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The most important thing about keeping a motorcycle in good shape for a long time is to keep it clean.

Covers can be bad as they trap moisture on the surface of the bike if the cover does not breathe properly.

Cheap covers can also scuff the paint because the material of the cover is too rough.

Dirt absorbs and holds moisture, even humidity out of the air. The now damp dirt, holds that moisture against the various surfaces of the bike. The water begins to etch into the metal, chrome, paint as it begins to corrode or oxidize the surface.

The dirt gets rubbed into the surface cutting microscopic scratches into the surface and giving water more opportunity and surface area to dig into the surface.

Wiping the dirt off regularly and leaving a layer of wax behind keeps the dirt off the surfaces of the motorcycle and prevents the water from etching into the surfaces.

Many types of waxes will do the job.

The issue I have found is most people are lazy and cheap.

Thus if a great automotive wax job takes 2 hours to properly apply to the bike and costs $6-20 in materials, most riders will only do it a couple of times per year, at most.

If a less good automotive wax, such as a spray on, wipe off and buff product, is quick and easy and allows you to wipe the bike down in 10-15 minutes but costs $10 for the spray bottle to do your bike, you will probably do it a few times per year due to the cost.

Cheap furniture polish usually has bee's wax (check the label). Not a great automotive wax and does not last long or have a hard shell finish or whatever but at $1 per can at the dollar store, I can wipe the bike down in 5 minutes once a week or more without a thought of the time or the cost.

Thus, most motorcycle owners (other than HD owners) are much more likely to use a cheap, easy, fast use product and therefore keep the bike cleaner, which is the goal.

I pick out HD owners as every HD owner I have ever known falls into one of 2 groups: Those that wax and polish their bikes incessantly with premium brand name products, and those that ride rat bikes and generally hose their bike down with engine degreaser and a garden hose a couple of times a year at best.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
601 Posts
I pick out HD owners as every HD owner I have ever known falls into one of 2 groups: Those that wax and polish their bikes incessantly with premium brand name products, and those that ride rat bikes and generally hose their bike down with engine degreaser and a garden hose a couple of times a year at best.
Amazingly accurate.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Plexus is expensive but it doesn't run like Pledge. Or at least the Pledge I've used. Maybe there's some new sticky Pledge.
True but Plexus costs 10x what furniture polish does.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
For 24/7 outdoor parking check into the Dowco WeatherAll Plus cover. Waterproof, breathable and vented with a soft scratch resistant liner inside. I've used one for years, and even in my pre garage days, leaving it outside in even the heaviest downpours the rain never penetrated the cover. Plus it's thick enough to survive the brutal and relentless beating from the Hawaiian sun without rotting and falling apart in 6 months. Well worth the money, imo...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts