Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with this advice: if you're doing any work with the tank--like removing the ECU--keep the tank as level as possible and make sure to protect the frame with towels or other barrier. If you LOOK at this paint, it will scratch.

Like a total dumbass, I let the fuel tank tilt to the left side with the frame unprotected. The result was jagged scratch across the frame.

So I read and watched tutorials on repairing scratches. I purchased a touch-up pen from ColorRite with the correct color to match the frame: Yamaha 0582, Matte Black #2, along with the appropriate clear coat pen, 900 Eggshell Clear.

I tested the paint on a card. Yup, it looks black.

I slowly dabbed the paint on as instructed.

After the first pass, it didn't look dark enough; so I did a second and third. Unfortunately, the paint didn't seem to get darker with additional coats or drying time.

So now I have a wide grayish streak with an uneven finish that looks worse that the initial scratch. And I'm completely bummed about it.

The instructions say to now add a clear coat (with the warning not to do any polishing/buffing in between coats).

I really don't want to add the clear coat, sealing in this crap-looking touch-up nightmare.

So before I proceeded, I thought I would ask for advice. What should I do next?

I'm not sure what to do short of sanding down the entire frame and repainting it. Though I am considering polishing with a good cutting compound (that's the technique to remove surface scratches) to see if that improves the look of the touch-up. I could always apply a wax remover, then the clear coat.

SCRATCH BEFORE TOUCH-UP

SCRATCH AFTER TOUCH-UP (but before clear coat application)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Wow, that is bad. Sorry, I have no advice about painting.......I know less about that than I do rocket science!

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is bad. Sorry, I have no advice about painting.......I know less about that than I do rocket science!
You're supposed to say, "that's not too bad."

But I appreciate the honesty. Haha.

Yeah, that pretty much confirms what a disaster it is. Oh, well. I've been waiting to put the forks back on 'till I fix the paint. But what the hell, I'm just gonna put the bike back together and ride it. I can figure out the paint later. I have no clue what to do with it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
In my experience, even if you have a great steady hand and are a magnificent painter, using a touch-up pen/brush on a scratch that size will never look "great".

I will be going through the process of cleaning up a similar scratch in an FZ6 that I purchased recently as a project. The previous owner had used a touch up pen as well and it looks "rippled" and "wavy" (I will post up come photos later today). My fix is going to be to sand it flat, being careful not to go to deep into the factory coat, mask off a area a bit larger than the scratch, and use an aerosol can to blend and smooth the area. I have done this a number of times in the past with great success.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
acetone and a clean soft cotton rag and wipe that mess off your frame.

then get a better brush or let someone that knows how to touch up paint do it for you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
for deep scratches like those, it's advised to use primer or you won't get good paint adherance.

it's really difficult, maybe even impossible to do a simple touch-up with a pen and have it look and feel seemless with the factory paint. to do that, you'd need to do what skooter65 mentioned - sand, spray, and blend.

i scratched my frame near the tank mount too. i used the colorrite primer and touch-up pen and it came out okay. from certain angles, you can't see that it's been touched up, but from others and very close up, you can. you can definitely feel it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My instincts are telling me to sand it out, going against the ColorRite directions.

So I'm hitting it with liberal amounts of sandpaper and the orbital polisher. I'll update with the aftermath and carnage.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so working slowly and carefully I did several rounds of wet-sanding with 2500 paper soaked in hot water followed with orbital polishing with a cutting compound.

Not perfect. But I'm calling it a save.

BEFORE

AFTER

Most noticeable angle

Least noticeable angles

Completely disappears from farther away.

Using 3M Auto Sandpaper, V36 cutting compound, and Porter Cable dual action polisher, I was able to take it from nasty scar to mild blemish.

The added benefit is exchanging the dull matte finish for the luster of a nice looking metallic clear coat look. I sanded and polished the other side so they would match.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That a GREAT improvement, nice work.

A trick I learned from an auto painter is to never use a brush with touch-up paint. Use a tooth pick. Yup it takes time but the results (at least his) was perfect. I am sure doing it with a tooth pick would not take as long as brush painting several coats and then the wet sanding and polishing that you went through.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation and tip!

You really have to bend down and get your face about ten inches away to see it now. I'm greatly relieved.

The bike is back together, which means the suspension is done!
Nice save !!

·
Registered
972 Posts
As we are on the subject of paint here is another tip that you might find handy some time.
Got scratches in your gray or black plastic car bumper? (never tried it on one of my bikes but no reason that I can think of why it would not work there just as well)
The only reason they really show up is that they are reflecting light so...
Mask the area off to prevent over spray, just use a rattle can of black paint and spray a light cost over the area and IMMEDIATELY wipe the paint off with a soft rag. This will leave just enough paint in the scratch to make it disappear. ( and I mean you would need a microscope to see it )

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice save! I would have recommended getting matched spray paint and masking everything but the frame(this makes it easier to blend,) then do very light coats from a good distance until it goes away then do some polishing to blend it all together.

I used this technique with the wrong colored paint and you can barely see the scratches lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alley Oop, nice work. After looking at your pics from first try, I wasn't expecting it to look so good. You did great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts