Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike for its maiden voyage yesterday and it was raining and now it's super dirty. I want to go to a local wand wash to spray it down and I just want to ask if there are any areas of the bike I shouldn't spray directly with the jet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not a bike detailer expert but I wouldn't spray any parts of the bike with a high pressure 'jet' spray.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Agreed. Bearings, sealed connections, cables etc... Are all weather proof, but not high pressure hose proof. It not only forces in moisture, but also road grime.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you guys wash your bikes? I live in an apartment and there's no hose at my place so I have to go out to wash it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
In my lifetime, I've never used a hose. My bikes don't get very dirty, so it's a spray bottle with a weak soap mixture, if I use water at all.

I couldn't "afford" a bike until I could afford a home first, so I don't really have an answer for you. Can't you use the low pressure setting at the wash?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my lifetime, I've never used a hose. My bikes don't get very dirty, so it's a spray bottle with a weak soap mixture, if I use water at all.

I couldn't "afford" a bike until I could afford a home first, so I don't really have an answer for you. Can't you use the low pressure setting at the wash?
The average home price in Vancouver is $950,000 so that's not really an option.. I might be able to spray the wand jet from far away so it has less force.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
In the US the washes have a trigger, if you do not pull the trigger, the spray is not very intense. Or you could just use high pressure, keep it off the cables, bearings, axles, chain... Anything that is sealed, lubed, or NOT sealed at all, I'd stay away from.

I've always used high pressure on my MX bikes, but again, I never sprayed the areas where bearings reside, this includes suspension components. It can be done, and people do it, but I'd personally do so with great care.

The thing about MX bikes, is that these bearings are replaced regularly anyway during winter tear down.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you're going to pressure wash- and I wouldn't do it- don't spray the chain, or anywhere near the bearings as others mention. High pressure washing will breach the o-rings on the chain and you'll be replacing it pretty quickly. I will very occasionally use a pump sprayer with some car wash soap in it to clean the engine on the bottom and front, but I avoid spraying any higher than that and will lube the chain afterward.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I washed mine for the first time yesterday.I'm on tank water so I have to use a syphon hose from the tank to fill buckets (no outside taps).
I washed the bike mainly with a 2" paintbrush and soapy water then rinsed by tipping the buckets of fresh water over the bike.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I use a spray bottle with water for everything that I wouldn't use Meguirs quick detail spray on. I don't have anywhere to wash it either the way the house is set up. I have a gravel drive way so I'm not doing it there so it is what I can do in the garage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I washed mine for the first time yesterday.I'm on tank water so I have to use a syphon hose from the tank to fill buckets (no outside taps).
I washed the bike mainly with a 2" paintbrush and soapy water then rinsed by tipping the buckets of fresh water over the bike.
Pretty much how I do it but have a hose available for rinse but have been able to do the whole thing with a 5 gal. bucket, 2 buckets worth for a car and may need to now that our drought is official...don't like to pressure wash a bike, really hard not to get somewhere it shouldn't be. Buy a Homer bucket and lid, keep your spray bottle, brush, sponge etc. in it and have a nice big old towel set aside for the bike, fill the bucket in your bath tub with nice warm water and take it outside...Mark

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Big bucket, garden fertilizer sprayer, and sheepskin mitt sound like a good idea to me. I dry with an Absorber Junior synthetic chamois and use Pledge on the plastic. When I am on the road, I keep a cut up piece of chamois, a microfiber cloth and stand way back with a pressure hose, soap real quick, use my microfiber, then quick rinse from way back using the same coins, chamois and blow dry at 80 mph.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Take a utility bucket to the car wash, fill it with water and pour/slosh it on the bike to rinse off any soap. You'll look a little funny with an empty bucket strapped to your passenger seat but hey, joke 'em if they can't take a ...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Used some of the S100 bike cleaner. The stuff is very expensive. I have used it before on my previous bikes. You have to really rinse the stuff off or it will leave water spots. Even after drying I had spots everywhere the next day. Not using that again. I have been just using "The Original" bike polish. That is really good stuff. It's good for plastic, metal, pretty much everything. Pledge works very well and cheaper I guess.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah dont use direct high pressure spray spray indirect and spray down not up

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anything that comes out of the regular hose with pretty much any nozzle should be good to spray onto the bike. I wouldn't use a pressure washer but that's a different story. My bikes get dirty I just spray them down and continue.

If I want to give it a good clean I'll spray it down and use some automotive soap etc. Then wipe it down with some mcguires polish and I'm good to go.

Just use common sense.

·
Registered
835 Posts
By hand with Meguiar's Gold Wash and / or Simple Green, depending on what's being washed.

The large bottle of Meguiar's will last me forever since there's very little plastic between the three bikes in the garage. Simple Green for most everything else. Dilute the concentrated mix and you're good to go!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts