Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. I'm buying a 2015 and I was curious if I were to fit exhaust and re-flash the ecu would that void the manufacturers warranty? My next question is could I get away with just running a slip on and not reflashing it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
pretty sure it depends on the item that you run in to a warranty issue with. For example, exhaust will not have any effect with the wiring harness for the headlight being too short. However, if you get a new flash and your ECU burns up... you can bet your ass they won't cover that under warranty anymore.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What if say the the bike starts consuming oil or a ringland cracks or something else to do with the motor? My Subaru wrx is tuned and I know for a fact if ANYTHING goes wrong with my motor Subaru is not covering it.. .

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Yamaha would have to prove that a mod caused the failure. Example: You had new/different suspension components installed on the bike, then the speedometer quit working. Absolutely no correlation between the two items.... Warranty covers the speedometer! Example: You have the ECU reflashed, the speedometer quits working, they determine that the flashed ECU is not sending the signal to the instrument panel correctly.... Not covered. You get the idea I hope.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yamaha would have to prove that a mod caused the failure. Example: You had new/different suspension components installed on the bike, then the speedometer quit working. Absolutely no correlation between the two items.... Warranty covers the speedometer! Example: You have the ECU reflashed, the speedometer quits working, they determine that the flashed ECU is not sending the signal to the instrument panel correctly.... Not covered. You get the idea I hope.
Thanks for the reply Triplethreat. What Subaru (and pretty much all other car manufacturers) does is claim anything done to the ecu directly correlates to anything that has to do with the engine. If you flash it you are on your own. Because the ECU controls things like fueling etc if anything happens with the internals of the motor they blame it on the tune... Just curious if Yamaha operates the same way with flashed ECUs on their bikes.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Yup. Likewise with any vehicle. Unless the aftermarket part itself is the faulty piece it is the manufacturers burden to prove the failure was due to a modification. Including the WRX mentioned above. By law the manufacturer cannot void a warranty simply because there is a different part installed. So for instance a motor failure with an tuned exhaust system installed the manufacture cannot simply say "we won't cover it" They may try, but you don't leave it at that. They have to prove the modifications directly caused the failure, otherwise they are required to warranty the items. Often times companies will use the fact that consumers aren't typically knowledgeable on the manufacturers legal obligations regarding warranties and screw people. Got into a huge battle with Volkswagon regarding the turbo on my wife's turbo beetle. I won eventually because I refused to accept their blatant "No" response. I will never buy a VW again btw. That car was nothing but trouble from the day we picked it up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I totally understand what you guys are getting at. I know that in my car if my power windows go out that will be covered but if my ecu is fried that I won't be... I totally understand that piece of it, but in my experience with Subaru's (I am part of several Subaru communities and have probably watched and taken part in rebuilds of 20 -30 blown Subaru motors. Every single one of them that had a tune was denied their warranty claim. Even though it is WELL known that the ringlands in subarus crack in stock form....

By the way you guys are talking it seems that if something like that did go down Yamaha would most likely cover it...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I totally understand what you guys are getting at. I know that in my car if my power windows go out that will be covered but if my ecu is fried that I won't be... I totally understand that piece of it, but in my experience with Subaru's (I am part of several Subaru communities and have probably watched and taken part in rebuilds of 20 -30 blown Subaru motors. Every single one of them that had a tune was denied their warranty claim. Even though it is WELL known that the ringlands in subarus crack in stock form....

By the way you guys are talking it seems that if something like that did go down Yamaha would most likely cover it...
ECU is tricky since it controls so much in a vehicle. Probably the easiest modded part to blame for a failure. If you took Subaru to court they'd have to prove the mapping on the ECU would cause the ringlands to fail. But I'm not surprised Subaru does this, they just likely haven't been pushed hard enough in the correct way. But couldn't say for certain since I've never owned one and I don't really weak in the car tuner circles.

All this being said, I've never had to make a warranty claim on any Yamaha I've owned. And the warranty claims I've made on other vehicles in the past were painless except for VW. Never had a failure on any of the 10 motorcycles I've owned actually. Most were yamahas with a couple Kawasakis my Harley and a Suzuki back in the day

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Even though consumer law says the manufacturer must prove the damage was related to a mod, how many people have the will and resources to take on a manufacturer when their claim is denied? Class action suits by owners of the unrelated failures are sometimes the only way to get justice.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
your biggest hurtle with making a warranty claim is the dealer, not Yamaha. Dealers make a whole lot less money on warranty claims than they do writing their own tickets. So if a dealer can find something to say Nope, the warranty isn't going to cover that because of X, then your out of gas with that dealer. Most automakers warranty claims never make it past the dealer. The dealer is the one who would deny you well before Yamaha would. And your only recourse is to file suit, which will end up costing more than it is worth, unless you have a new r1m or ninja h2r.

·
Registered
239 Posts
your biggest hurtle with making a warranty claim is the dealer, not Yamaha. Dealers make a whole lot less money on warranty claims than they do writing their own tickets. So if a dealer can find something to say Nope, the warranty isn't going to cover that because of X, then your out of gas with that dealer. Most automakers warranty claims never make it past the dealer. The dealer is the one who would deny you well before Yamaha would. And your only recourse is to file suit, which will end up costing more than it is worth, unless you have a new r1m or ninja h2r.
Well typically when you file suit you include your legal fees in the suit. That's what I did against VW. Cost me nothing but time.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Your attorneys fees are only available when provided for by statute or contract, as per the American rule. So it depends.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yamaha will refuse warranty on your ECU if something goes wrong after a re-flash by a third party. That was a comment by the Yamaha Rep at the bike shop here in Calgary this past January. He mentioned this because they have had a few people try to claim warranty on failed ECU's after they were re-flashed by third party companies.

He did not mention anything about the overall warranty for the bike, so that part I can not comment on????

·
Registered
247 Posts
How would they know it was reflashed? If it's in good enough shape for them to check it and see about a reflash then it's in good enough shape to reflash back to stock before u make a claim. If it's beat up that bad and fried... Then "it was never reflashed, I swear"!

Not that anyone has or will ever do this! I could see it happening though!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will it void the warranty? YES! Want to know why? Read on! if not, skip it cus its lengthy and full of words and stuff.

Speaking from a great deal of experience, what the guys are saying is taken from the Magnuson-moss Act, which states that in order to void a part covered under the warranty, they must prove that the modified part directly resulted in the failure of said part.

On paper, that looks pretty good, but here's where it falls apart. You flash your ECU and a few months later, you develop a misfire. You take it in for service and they tell you that you need new cams and they won't cover it because they hooked up your ecu and can see its been flashed. You tell them the only thing your tune did was modify the a/f ratio and startup in A mode. But they don't care and firmly tell you they won't cover it. Where does this leave you?

You now have two options. You can pay them and get it fixed, OR you can escalate to the regional representative for the company. The companies warranty claims representative will come out and side with the dealer. This is the nature of the game, they will always side with the dealer first until proven otherwise. They have good working relationships with the dealer networks. The representative wont spend any money they don't absolutely HAVE to. So where does this leave you now?

You can lawyer up, or file suit. Lawyers are expensive and even working off a retainer will cost you a quite a bit up front. This will cost you serious money. This is the part that sucks, you will have to pay a third party entity to verify the part in question was not caused by your flash. DESPITE what the moss-magnuson act states, you will have to pay up to prove your case since its purely a matter of your word vs the dealer and manufacturer. So now its been about 2 - 3 months, and youve spent quite a bit of money up front to prove your point, and your now probably 2-3k $ above what you would have paid for them to just fix it. You also wont have your bike for another 3 months until your court date comes up where the judge will 90% of the time rule in favor of the company simply due to perceived credibility. You are a young 'tuner' placing a claim against a large established company with a solid track record of reliability. To win your case, you will have to discredit that, and prove your case beyond a shadow of a doubt, all the while paying out of your pocket in the hopes you will recover the court cost and legal fees, which is at the discretion of the judge in most places and is often not accepted in the ruling.

Oh yeah, during that time frame youll have to get a truck to get your bike out of the repair shop or they can place a shop-lein after 3 months to claim ownership. That would be another court hearing. This is usually only seen when people have their cars repaired and then disappear, the shop will try to recoup losses by taking ownership of the abandoned vehicle. They most likely wouldn't succeed, but it its no sweat off their backs and youve irritated them, so theyll probably do it just to inconvenience you even more. shady as ****? yes, but completely legal. (most places). Some states laws are different but usually this is how it goes.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
^ Exactly, that's why it's important to network on forums with others who have the same cam failure (example), then lawyer up in a class action suit. Court and expert testimony costs will be defrayed among the greater number and the manufacturer may relent when confronted with a viable courtroom adversary. It happened this way with Ducati expanding plastic gas tanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts