Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 year extended warranty is $1100.

What do you think?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I say no, I never get extended warranties on honda or yamaha products. On euro bikes I say yes because of the problems they all seem to have.:cool:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has the 1 year already so hopefully if the bolt on frame breaks *lol* it does so within the first year.

No it is then. =) Thanks for all of your replies.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cjhorton, you could contact another Yamaha dealer and inquire of their price. It could be that FZ09 warranties vary a lot like FJR warranties vary.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I passed on the warranty. Thanks for all of the advise. Just got the bike home. Pics uploaded!

·
Super Moderator
5,707 Posts
You still have until the end of the factory warranty period to purchase the extended warranty. That $1100 is way too high. In 2005 I bought a brand new CBR 1000RR and got the extended warranty (I worked at the dealership then) and the MSRP for 4 years was $599.........I got it for just under $300.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Everyone that told you NO gets to pay if you have something go wrong..............LOL
What does it actually cover? think about it. If it's a factory defect Yamaha will already have to cover it and the bike comes with a 1 year warranty regardless. Small things like a rectifier or a water pump could go bad I guess but those aren't really a big deal and would be rare.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What does it actually cover? think about it. If it's a factory defect Yamaha will already have to cover it and the bike comes with a 1 year warranty regardless. Small things like a rectifier or a water pump could go bad I guess but those aren't really a big deal and would be rare.
Never had one on a bike because I usually buy used, but can talk in length about coverage on cars(I was a service manager for 12 years). Most extra coverage policies are a "wear & tear" policy. Which means if the component fails due to your use, mis-use, or abuse it will be covered(except wear items). Factory coverage is a "workmanship or deflect" policy, which can leave a little "gray" area for everyone involved. 25 years ago I never told anyone to buy one, today however is a different story. Vehicles in general or becoming less mechanical and more electrical. Which means more shop time to troubleshoot and an electrical part can't be fixed, only replaced. Price out an ECU lately? I bet the gauge cluster on the FZ09 is crazy money.
The question is not "If I should buy one or not", it's "How much of a risk taker am I".

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I agree with Paul. I was in the automotive Vehicle Service Contract business for 13 years representing General Electric. I only buy the extension if it makes sense. The price of $1000 is out of line. You can also shop the Factory Yamaha Extension at other dealers. Your dealer may be offering a dealer held or independent brand and marking it way up. Keep in mind that the FZ-09 is not overboard with electronics, so the lack of high-tech items has me less concerned about failure, but you still have 11 months to decide.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with Paul. I was in the automotive Vehicle Service Contract business for 13 years representing General Electric. I only buy the extension if it makes sense. The price of $1000 is out of line. You can also shop the Factory Yamaha Extension at other dealers. Your dealer may be offering a dealer held or independent brand and marking it way up. Keep in mind that the FZ-09 is not overboard with electronics, so the lack of high-tech items has me less concerned about failure, but you still have 11 months to decide.
You guys are absolutely right. I am glad I asked before going there.

That $1K will be spent on other stuff ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts