Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just over a week ago i brought home my FZ-09. This is the first vehicle i have ever purchased new or with a factory warranty for that matter. I am curious what can all be done to stay within the warranty when it comes to the service. What can all be done either personally or by a non-Yamaha dealer/mechanic for the different milestones and still be within the warranty. I have a really good mechanic nearby that is much cheaper than the dealer that i would likely take my bike by but want to make sure it wont void the warranty. I would also like to change the oil myself since it have done it many times on my cars and previous motorcycle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Depends on your state I believe. Here in Wisconsin your warranty stands if you do your own work. However it is your responsibility to document that the work has been done, and if there's an issue the dealer has to prove that you didn't preform maintenance correctly.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yep, what janzend said.

If you take it to your guy, save the service invoice which will have the mileage on it.

If you do your own oil change, save the receipts from the oil/filter purchase and write down the mileage.

Basically, just keep good records... at least until the warranty is up.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Yes, document everything! Make/buy a three ring binder or spiral bound notebook or an Excel spreadsheet and input the day, date, time, and year. Write a description of the work done/completed, mileage at the time of service, and person doing the work (you or your mechanic buddy). Save ALL receipts for parts, oil, filter, etc. Do this for EVERY procedure/service/repair that is done to the bike. Absolutely NOTHING speaks louder for proof than documentation.

Reactions: TheFZ09ismine

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The only thing I plan to do to my bike (maintenance wise) that I would not have a dealer do is change the oil. So I take a date stamped picture of the odometer with the receipt from the oil/ filter purchase. Then i have a file that the receipt goes into. But I am a not a mechanic and don't trust myself enough to do any other work on the bike, maintenance wise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts