Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going downhill at 30kmh and using the Engine braking to slow down...I decided to change into B mode, when suddently the bike went silent... At first, it tough the bike went in neutral by it self...So i twist the throttle Just to see if it was really in neutral. It wasnt, my reflex was to brake till the bike stops completely and see wats going on...I restart the bike and then i figured out that the bike Just decided to SHUTDOWN!!?? Im fine... But it could have gotten worst...
I dont know Why this happened but its Kinda scary

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hasn't this happened to a couple of riders on here after switching modes?

It hasn't happened to me but I almost never switch modes unless its raining, then it's B mode.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is a fail safe mode Yamaha implemented into the RBW system. Totally kills the throttle. Happened to me once too. My suggestion is to not switch modes while the bike is in motion. Some of the aftermarket flashes seem to fix this problem.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I use all of the drive modes on just about every ride but never had an engine shutdown. However, I don't recall ever switching drive modes while downhill engine braking, either. Has shutdown occurred in other situations (i.e. level road, changing modes with clutch in)?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It just happened to me today too. 9500 miles with never a problem...then out of the blue...BLAM! Actually it was not blam but total silence.

Going down the freeway at 75mph and it just shut off. I pulled in the clutch and rolled to the side of the road. The check engine light was on and there was a failure code on the display.

Still trying to sort this one out. Just glad I did not just pass a big truck and pull back in his lane. I could have been a grease spot.

IMG_0550.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
It just happened to me today too. 9500 miles with never a problem...then out of the blue...BLAM! Actually it was not blam but total silence.

Going down the freeway at 75mph and it just shut off. I pulled in the clutch and rolled to the side of the road. The check engine light was on and there was a failure code on the display.

Still trying to sort this one out. Just glad I did not just pass a big truck and pull back in his lane. I could have been a grease spot.

View attachment 10746
It shut down when you switched modes, right?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It shut down when you switched modes, right?
Nope. I had stopped and shut down the bike for a few minutes, prior to the episode.

Started up and left it in default "A" mode. Yes I had a recent ECU flash. Not saying where at this point.

Took off and entered the freeway in about 2 minutes then it happened about one minute later.

My friend owns the local Yamaha shop. He is gonna read the code and let me know tomorrow. He has seen this before and suspects the flash is to blame.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was going downhill at 30kmh and using the Engine braking to slow down...I decided to change into B mode, when suddently the bike went silent... At first, it tough the bike went in neutral by it self...So i twist the throttle Just to see if it was really in neutral. It wasnt, my reflex was to brake till the bike stops completely and see wats going on...I restart the bike and then i figured out that the bike Just decided to SHUTDOWN!!?? Im fine... But it could have gotten worst...
Back in 1988, I was crossing Wyoming on my touring bike, shifting around trying to get comfortable, when the engine quit. That sparked my adrenaline since I was in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I realized I had accidently hit the kill switch and got it going before speed dropped very much.

·
Registered
474 Posts
And you are sure you were NOT on the throttle at all when switching modes? This will kill the ignition.

·
Registered
182 Posts
And you are sure you were NOT on the throttle at all when switching modes? This will kill the ignition.
This has never happened to me, even before I got the ECU modded. The mode wouldn't switch but it didn't kill the bike, thats just crazy.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This has never happened to me, even before I got the ECU modded. The mode wouldn't switch but it didn't kill the bike, thats just crazy.
Agreed. I have attempted to change drive modes while on the throttle. The drive mode does not change but the FZ-09 continues to operate normally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine has shut down several times while slowing to a stop or coasting into a tight turn. Usually at low speeds. I believe it's common in california mods from the emission vapor system (charcoal canister). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just pull in the clutch and restart on the fly. So far only in warm weather and I suspect it will continue (although rarely) until I rip that system out and plug the hoses as described in this forum previously.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Good thought Dave but not the case with my bike. It's an Oregon bike so it does not have the evap canister.

Plus I have totally removed the AIS and installed the Graves plates.

Your fix on the fly is a great idea so long as it does not happen at a critical time. Like just passing a car or truck. Imagine pulling back in in front of them to have the bike die. This could result in 2 dead. The bike and the rider! Heaven forbid.

Mine has shut down several times while slowing to a stop or coasting into a tight turn. Usually at low speeds. I believe it's common in california mods from the emission vapor system (charcoal canister). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just pull in the clutch and restart on the fly. So far only in warm weather and I suspect it will continue (although rarely) until I rip that system out and plug the hoses as described in this forum previously.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

View attachment 10746
the photo's helpful. error 50 is 'faulty ecu memory'. probably has to do with the flash. speak to whoever did it - something may have gotten corrupted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think this has already been covered in another post, but I will delve on it again. Accidentally hitting the kill switch will do it, having a performance exhaust system and not reflashing ECU to match will do it more so. Remember, air fuel mixture is really important. When programming ECUs there is a base map that all adjustments move from. Adding an aftermarket performance exhaust system will require more fuel to achieve the system desired air/fuel ratio and this jump from the base map is sometimes too great especially in the earlier phases of adding the said exhaust system. This can cause the bike to die occasionally while decelling for example. The cure? Get a better ECU or whack the throttle after squeezing the clutch for a downshift to keep RPMs up then preventing engine stop... Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bounce on the seat and gas it. Also, check your positive termal, mine worked its way loose and acted sporratic. I leave mine in A mode all of the time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes I had a recent ECU flash. Not saying where at this point.

My friend owns the local Yamaha shop. He is gonna read the code and let me know tomorrow. He has seen this before and suspects the flash is to blame.
I know where you got the flash.:cool: I'm planning to do the same one and I'm very interested in the diagnosis and solution.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts