Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Wondering if anone has an OBJ or Nurbs 3D Cad file of the FZ-09 (MT-09) they are willing to share with me please.

Regards
Cb

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If your trying to build parts, good luck. I don't think you'll find a complete cad file of this bike with correct measurements... UNLESS, you get them direct from Yamaha. Which they don't just hand off to anyone who asks.

without getting into specifics......

If your trying to build parts, go out an take measurements of the area your trying to work with. Build the part in CAD, then impose it over a 2D image for a quick visualization.

If you want to step it up a notch, build your own 3d model. All you need front, side, rear and top view along with a modeling tool like Maya, modo or blender (to name a few). You can project the images onto a canvas and start sketching your bike from there. I've done it before with other stuff, once you get in the rhythm you'll be done in no time.

The next step up is to build each component in CAD down to spec measurements. then assemble them all until you have a fully modeled bike.

The easiest way to do this is to take pictures of your bike on a stand from many angles all the way around, then use one of Autodesk 123D Catch to convert all those images into a 3D model. Works really well if you do it right.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can scan it for precision if required, but to try work with a mega mesh that size is not usefull. jsut need a quick reference to draw parts over to see visual effect, once thast ok, ill scan the sections in a i need and work to the segment mesh.

Thanks for a usefull answer.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
well duh.. yes.. $62... figured that out all on your own did you?
it all depends on what your trying to do... that $62 model is not really a CAD file.. its for visualization, video games etc. There's no real world units of measure on it.

if you want a accurate cad model you will need to build it from scratch, unless you find one built which will costs way more than $62.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you are looking to build some carbon fibre replica parts. Here is a guy who has had some success building plaster molds and making CF parts from them. They are just a one shot deal for the molds, but they work.

A guy building Suzuki DR650SE body parts.

Clone side covers - mud parts 2 : "How To" Section

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I can scan it for precision if required, but to try work with a mega mesh that size is not usefull. jsut need a quick reference to draw parts over to see visual effect, once thast ok, ill scan the sections in a i need and work to the segment mesh.

Thanks for a usefull answer.
There is way to reduce the mesh from a scan to something more manageable. or maybe you need a more powerful computer or 3D software.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we manufacture cad models at a rate of 400 new designs a month, im intimately aware of scaling issues.. i dont even get out of bed for 62 dollars... the model will save me the 5-6 hours required to model this bike.

Im after new "fake air intakes" and a few bits where the seat and subframe come together at the tank.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
we manufacture cad models at a rate of 400 new designs a month, im intimately aware of scaling issues.. i dont even get out of bed for 62 dollars... the model will save me the 5-6 hours required to model this bike.

Im after new "fake air intakes" and a few bits where the seat and subframe come together at the tank.
Hope that $62 model works out for you.

I have a 3d model of the air intake meshes, but not the actual intake's. not sure what bits your talking about. Would need a better description or picture.

Reactions: Chris Botha

·
Registered
115 Posts
that's a great looking 3d model. Whoever made it did a fantastic job. I've been a CAD operator all my life and that would have been some work putting together.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It looks like someone had access to a good laser scanner to make a 3D model???

It's amazing how laser scanning has progressed over the years. It can save hundreds if not thousands of hours with recreating 3D models.

It is becoming more common in industrial applications for doing As built 3D models of facilities.

p.s. - more than my share of years in 3D Cadd design, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's a great looking 3d model. Whoever made it did a fantastic job. I've been a CAD operator all my life and that would have been some work putting together.
Yeap, I am a glass half full guy about these things, if you automatically assume everything is shit just because it is cheap, you going to miss out on a lot of good work... we hire guys off Odesk that do fantastic moddeling at $7/h....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks like someone had access to a good laser scanner to make a 3D model???

It's amazing how laser scanning has progressed over the years. It can save hundreds if not thousands of hours with recreating 3D models.

It is becoming more common in industrial applications for doing As built 3D models of facilities.

p.s. - more than my share of years in 3D Cadd design, lol.
my industry is jewelry so scannign is still not fine enough for us, but here is a light stripe model we looked at last year in Hong Kong fair.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts