Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Check out the thread in "FZ events."

We are heading this weekend on a ride leaving from Lititz, PA and ending in the Poconos, in Perryville, PA. This area is great for its winding roads.

Just got back from a ride tonight. Tonight was my first time on the back of a Harley Ultra Classic CVO. It was actually my second time on the back of a motorcycle, period. My feet almost went numb from the vibrations, my teeth almost went numb, if that's even possible, could of used some earplugs for the pipes. In short, it was a load of fun all things considered. The bike was like a sofa on wheels with seat warmers, hand warmers, a stereo, GPS, a coffee maker (I'm making the last one up, but I didn't check, so who knows!)

My night vision sucks, so it was either meet them for dinner, or graciously accept a ride.

Ever been on the back of a bike? Maybe when you were little?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nope, I dont trust anyone enough to ride on the back. I always tell my wife she is braver than I, because she will ride on the back.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've ridden on the back of a motorcycle once, and it wasn't by choice. I had to go run a few errand's with my sister's boyfriend as a teenager, once. We got to his place and when it came time to drive me home his car wouldn't start, so we had to take his bike just to drop me off back at home. It was a scary experience.

I don't do organized rides with large groups. Any more than 5 or so is just more that can go wrong. Also, I don't ride with people who haven't been made aware of my medical concerns.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sadly, I feel like riding with a pack of Harley's would be terribly frustrating...
Agreed. A pack of cruiser riders in general. One thing I learned is never be a sportbike going along on a route determined by/led by cruisers. That is a different kind of hell entirely.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
And really, it boils down to simple physics. All other things being equal, a sport bike rider will go crazy due to the limitations of a cruiser. If I could be out front, no problem!

·
Registered
957 Posts
And really, it boils down to simple physics. All other things being equal, a sport bike rider will go crazy due to the limitations of a cruiser. If I could be out front, no problem!
I just don't like the type of routes they typically take. They focus too much on the scenery, and they don't stop for breaks as often as I would like/need.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When the sport bike guys show up, they often will go ahead. We have some Ducatis and Honda sport guys who ride like maniacs.

We stop often. Keep in mind, I'm new. They are considerate of this and stop.

The roads they take are "motorcycle" roads.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-They are really nice people and are all experienced riders who I am confident riding with (there's one woman who I don't trust but she only has been on two rides, I stay away in that case.
-They don't ride like slugs, I would be happy if they went slower, actually
-We are aware of the medical conditions
-Don't be so fast to judge
-I was trying to be nice and invite you people! :)

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
This Saturday, August 30th :)
Do you mean Parryville? Never heard of Perryville...

If Parryville, there are some great roads, but not necessary for cruiser. I can also send you on some loops that are a mix of dirt and tarmac. If you don't mind riding a bit further north, come up to Pocono Raceway and say hello. We'll be there all weekend.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Jem, you should always ride with hearing protection. Hindsight is 20/20. My hearing is seriously damaged from feeling immortal as a youth.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Interesting...Google doesn't return any results. Good riding north of Williamsport, too.
Fantastic riding up there. I attended a rally in Lewisburg in 2012 and we traveled many such roads including a region north and west of Williamsport. Took this picture is from Hyner View State Park, one of our rest stop and photo op locations. That was a great weekend.

Lititz to Parryville sounds like fun too, Jen!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Considering how poorly maintained Pittsburgh roads are, that's a scary thought. Of course it's different if you get out of the greater Pittsburgh area.
My experience is primarily down around Washington near the WV border. Lots of fun.

Fantastic riding up there. I attended a rally in Lewisburg in 2012 and we traveled many such roads including a region north and west of Williamsport. Took this picture is from Hyner View State Park, one of our rest stop and photo op locations. That was a great weekend.

Lititz to Parryville sounds like fun too, Jen!
Yes. The PA Grand Canyon (yes, we have one..but not as impressive as the real one) has a lot of great riding (dirt or tarmac) and hiking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts