Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode the FZ09 a few times recently and would like to purchase one but there are a few issues that concern me:

The snatchy throttle response can be a safety issue when riding in a curve. Will an ECU reflash solve this and how much does a reflash cost?

The handling is another issue. I can buy an aftermarket monoshock for about $600, but does anybody know how much it would cost to address the forks?

I read where a steering stabilizer may be desired, is there a safety issue that makes one necessary?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I personally have not had an ECU flash done. But everyone who has sent theirs in to Nick at Stoltec have had nothing but positive things to say about how it smoothes the throttle out. Personally I just ride mostly in B mode to deal with the throttle for now.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I test rode the FZ09 a few times recently and would like to purchase one but there are a few issues that concern me:

The snatchy throttle response can be a safety issue when riding in a curve. Will an ECU reflash solve this and how much does a reflash cost?

The handling is another issue. I can buy an aftermarket monoshock for about $600, but does anybody know how much it would cost to address the forks?

I read where a steering stabilizer may be desired, is there a safety issue that makes one necessary?

Thanks for any help.
I could be an ******* and say, "Use the search button, you fuggin' noob!"... but I won't.

1a. ECU flash will resolve your issue... but you can also grip the tank more with your legs and keep a loose-ish grip on your throttle. ;)
1b. ECU will cost you $125 from Stoltec Moto and is 110% worth it.

2. Forks can be as cheap as $100 (heavier springs + appropriate weight oil) or as expensive as $1,149.

3. Steering stabilizer is a sweet mod, but isn't 100% necessary.

·
Registered
877 Posts

The snatchy throttle response can be a safety issue when riding in a curve.

Will an ECU reflash solve this and how much does a reflash cost? Yes, about $ 125 or 150

Run in B mode till you're used to the bike.

Check for slack in the throttle cable .

Heavier springs ( if needed depending on rider weight ) and 10 wt oil: $ 100 to 125 max plus labor.

I read where a steering stabilizer may be desired, is there a safety issue that makes one necessary? No

Thanks for any help.
See above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have been searching all day and finally found the Stoltec project bike thread ( very lengthy but good info). Thanks again for all the replies

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had my FZ for 5 weeks now and it's actually the first bike I've ever owned, and I can tell you that the throttle response is no problem at all. I did find the throttle to be snatchy in STD and A modes at first but now at around 1000 miles on the ODO I find it to be very predictable. I was out riding with a friend today for 4 hours and I was in A mode the entire time an it was only fun and never a problem.

I have a set of heavier fork springs from Stoltec but I haven't had a chance to install them yet. I look forward to riding my bike with the new fork springs but in all honesty it rides pretty good stock. FYI I'm about 188 lbs without gear.. I do plan to get a better rear shock for next year but this bike is a blast to ride every time and a complete rocket ship!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
There is a vid on Youtube showing how to adjust the throttle cable on the FZ-09. All of our bikes come from the factory with freeplay in the throttle. When I adjusted mine it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have been riding this bike for a few months now and have had zero throttle or other issues. We went on an 80 mile ride yesterday, all twisty back roads, and the bike handled awesome. Throttle- I don't see how my weight would affect that. Suspension- if you are a big guy, maybe, who knows.

I normally use B mode. I tried standard yesterday. I noticed it revved higher. I didn't think it was "snatchy."

Oh, my bike is stock. No ECU flash. No updated forks or suspension.

Reactions: gearsmasher

·
Registered
224 Posts
The throttle cable adjustment makes alot of sense but my question is how much does it actually help the snachy feel??

·
Registered
120 Posts
the snatchy feel goes away. Combination of the bike loosening up and you getting used to it.
ECU flashes and suspension overhauls are nice, but the stock bike is very ride-able.

·
Registered
833 Posts
the snatchy feel goes away. Combination of the bike loosening up and you getting used to it.
ECU flashes and suspension overhauls are nice, but the stock bike is very ride-able.
Totally agree with this. I will address the suspension eventually, but I don't think it is a immediate concern. Magazines a uber critical of anything they can find. The bike is fine right out of the crate, adjust as needed down the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This post kinda illustrates the 'down side' of forums to the new rider. Bottom line is the FZ09 is a great bike for the money. Great engine, good frame, good brakes, and with the typical soft, budget suspension found in this price class. Compared to much of the competition, this bike is a steal. But since so many of we forum members concentrate on the 'problems' with the bike, that is, improving it to be even better, those reading many of the posts may believe that the throttle response is so bad and the steering so twitchy that the bike is unsafe. The only real problem I see is that the engine is so good for a bike at this price, new riders get in trouble before they know it. Take it easy at first and learn how to ride. Don't worry about upgrading anything until you are familiar enough with motorcycles that you find the suspension is limiting. No bash intended to those who are improving an already good bike with mods. Just trying to put things in perspective for someone maybe new to bike riding and considering whether this bike is a good choice.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This post kinda illustrates the 'down side' of forums to the new rider. Bottom line is the FZ09 is a great bike for the money. Great engine, good frame, good brakes, and with the typical soft, budget suspension found in this price class. Compared to much of the competition, this bike is a steal. But since so many of we forum members concentrate on the 'problems' with the bike, that is, improving it to be even better, those reading many of the posts may believe that the throttle response is so bad and the steering so twitchy that the bike is unsafe. The only real problem I see is that the engine is so good for a bike at this price, new riders get in trouble before they know it. Take it easy at first and learn how to ride. Don't worry about upgrading anything until you are familiar enough with motorcycles that you find the suspension is limiting. No bash intended to those who are improving an already good bike with mods. Just trying to put things in perspective for someone maybe new to bike riding and considering whether this bike is a good choice.
Exactly! ^^

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just adjusted the throttle cable this morning as per the posted video and I have to say it gets rid of the snatchy feeling almost completely. It took me only about 90 seconds to complete and is a must do thing for anyone who owns an FZ/MT 09.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree, however at 200lbs slick, I am upgrading my suspension as soon as my Stoltec kit comes in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts