Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had cash in hand, within 2 blocks away from Yamaha Dealer and turned around. I had started looking at other bikes about 3 weeks ago and Friday morning I started calling around town for FZ8 availability. In about 3 hours of messing around I had a brand new 2013 in my sights, the sales manager agreed to sell at cost + tax ($8400.00) out the door. Received a text from a trusted friend that said "Do Not Buy That Bike, sleep on it".:(

As I got in the car to be dropped off at the Yamaha dealer I read that text and thought, F that, but by the time I got down the road, my common sense side told me to sleep on it. Woke up today pretty excited, but decided to do some more research. Visited this website and low and behold, 2 new test rides articles.
Just sold both my bikes (1month ago), so the urge to spend some of that money is getting to me. I thought I would be able to be without a bike for a month or so and up till yesterday I was doing pretty good.:angel2: I feel better now. :encouragement:
Anybody else finding it difficult waiting on the FZ09 to be hurry up and released?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I'm getting really anxious too. Fortunately, I have another bike to ride, as well as a track bike, but still, the wait is starting to get to me. Then, reading about the first rides, makes it even worse. Hang in there. There's no way I could buy an FZ 8 now, knowing that we're only days away from the FZ 09

·
Registered
182 Posts
You were seriously going to buy an obsolete bike for basically msrp instead of waiting a couple more weeks? Seems really odd, if not contrived.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contrived?, Odd.. call it what you want. It was a moment of weakness. I'm not the type to follow the hype and I believe in the FZ8. On paper the FZ09 no doubt is a better machine, but the FZ8 is a fine piece of machinery, proven and well supported by Yamaha for years to come. The chassis and engine are essentially FZ1 which has been unchanged for several years. Lots of cheap after market parts available as well. The 2013 has updated and adjustable suspension and the fuel injection mapping has been fine tuned for this year. Not sure how a FZ8 that has proven performance and reliability is an obsolete motorcycle, unless you just believe all the hype surrounding who rides what. I see far to many people on the road and around town who are on the the latest, greatest and would be better suited on a FZ8. Its not the bike, its the rider.
Hang in their Triple threat, I with you

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Had cash in hand, within 2 blocks away from Yamaha Dealer and turned around. I had started looking at other bikes about 3 weeks ago and Friday morning I started calling around town for FZ8 availability. In about 3 hours of messing around I had a brand new 2013 in my sights, the sales manager agreed to sell at cost + tax ($8400.00) out the door. Received a text from a trusted friend that said "Do Not Buy That Bike, sleep on it".:(

As I got in the car to be dropped off at the Yamaha dealer I read that text and thought, F that, but by the time I got down the road, my common sense side told me to sleep on it. Woke up today pretty excited, but decided to do some more research. Visited this website and low and behold, 2 new test rides articles.
Just sold both my bikes (1month ago), so the urge to spend some of that money is getting to me. I thought I would be able to be without a bike for a month or so and up till yesterday I was doing pretty good.:angel2: I feel better now. :encouragement:
Anybody else finding it difficult waiting on the FZ09 to be hurry up and released?

I waited 14 years to get my motorcycle license, I can wait a couple of months to get a vastly improved bike. I sold two bikes and my third steed is parked, detailed, and up for sale. I am cleaning house, so my anticipation level is high. I have a bunch of stuff on order, too. You can make it.

View attachment 276

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess what I mean by contrived is that you never really intended to buy the FZ8, it's just for effect. It's fine, I'm not judging, I can understand anticipating the release of a new bike and wanting it to be here NOW. But lets be realistic, the FZ8 is obsolete because they will not make anymore. It doesn't mean the bike won't start and run anymore lol, but it is outdated as soon as the 09 comes out. On top of it, the technology and other advancements in the 09 make it a better bike right out of the gate when compared to the 8, and for less money if I remember right. Or at least not much more. Either way good luck with whatever bike you buy. Safe riding.

·
Registered
601 Posts
FZ8 seems like a really nice bike and has had a few years of refinements. So I can understand the urge to buy one before the FZ-09 is released.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the fz8 is only being discontinued in the u.s. in europe and canada where the market for standard bikes is larger, the fz/fazer 8 will live on.

for most of us, buying a bike isn't a purely logical decision. the day i went to the local dealer to put down a deposit, he said he was selling fz8's below cost to clear space for the fz-09's and that he'd already made a sale earlier that day. he was trying to sell me one (i don't fault him), but i wanted the 9. the fz8 simply didn't interest me at all - to me it looks odd, i'm not a fan of shrunken bigger bikes, and my last couple of bikes were inline-4's and i wanted something different this time around. i didn't explain to him the reasons i didn't want the 8, i just said 'cool, that guy got a great deal, here's my deposit for the 9', and he knew he wasn't going to be able to sell me an 8 for more than $1000.

have patience, good things come to those who wait. we're very very close now.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A FZ8 will be as good a bike Jan ’14 as it was Jan ’13. I don’t always upgrade, I skipped Vista and hope to skip Windows 8. I was shopping for about 400 pound 100HP V-twin naked sport bike, didn’t find one that I thought was right overall, if the FZ09 wasn’t coming out I’d probably have gone for the Triumph naked 675 R. For me the FZ8 could never be consideration, too heavy and I want to avoid inline fours. But for riders that like the FZ8, why not?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm with ya. There is a dealer here in AL posting a new 2012 FZ8 for $6300.... The wait makes it more and more tempting. Still holding strong though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
....Anybody else finding it difficult waiting on the FZ09 to be hurry up and released?
Hang in there KoolAiD….We gotcha’ back, and we too are right in the thick of this hazy waiting period with you. The best thing I’ve done to pass the time, is to re-educate myself on the theories and the practicality of 3 cylinder engines. Boring I know. But it sort of allows me to plan ahead for any upcoming maintenance work; part replacements; where to find “what” (Such as - where are the best bargains for tires); what’s the possibility of making this particular bike more visible at night (I’m thing about drilling holes in the scoops and doing something futuristic with lightning); is there a better set up for the forks (in any respect)......So as my mind rattles these things on it helps me to pass the time. It’s tough for me because this is will be the first “new” bike I’ve purchased in a little more than 20 years. So, needless say, I truly understand the difficulty in waiting on the bike to arrive. Daylight is right around the corner!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hear ya. I getting really anxious, but I've been there before. Just a few deep breaths and look the other way. Get my mind occupied on something else for a short while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spent most of the day organizing the shop in preparation for the FZ09. When done, enjoying the fruits of my labor, I realized that I was not yet ready for new bike, but also that a new bike is closer than I thought.. Reading some of the recent reviews has also relieved some anxiety surrounding the fear of the unknown that has been plaguing my thoughts surrounding a brand new bike design.
Thanks to all for their support, this has been a interesting week.

W

·
0 Posts
$8400 is a fantastic deal for an FZ8, I can see why it would be hard to hold off. The FZ-09 looked really great on paper and in picture and when I first heard about it, I had just bought a new 2012 FZ8 the week before, back in February this year. I was pretty ticked off about that, because for one I could have bought a 2013 version with adjustable suspension (sales guy did not mention this!), and then to hear how great the FZ-09 was supposed to be just got my goat, so to speak.

But then I really started to think this over and as usual there was a catch, as all of the above sounded too good to be true. I had thought to pick up an FZ-09 when they became available in September as it sounded like the perfect bike. However, as I learned more about the actual design and construction, I thought there had to be something not quite perfect about it. The price seemed much too low for a bike with the feature I needed. I learned first of all that the FZ-09 had a bolt-together frame, which gave me some concerns. Some folks in the motorcycle press called this "tuned-flex" and "trickle-down" technology from MotoGP but as I had ridden both the Honda SuperHawk 1000 (which Honda touted as having a so-called "tuned-flex" frame) at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and found it to be a poor track bike due to weaving and frame flex in high-speed turns, I was quite suspicious of this. I also rode the FZ6 when it first came out, which has a bolt-together frame similar to the FZ-09, and it too exhibited weaving and instability at higher speeds. (The SuperHawk I mentioned had a cast one-piece frame of very high quality, not a bolt-together).

The video reviews posted in the last few days have confirmed my concerns. Both MCN and Visor Down have stated that the front end feels vague and not completely trustworthy (I may be paraphrasing but that's the gist of it). Another concern I had was the "ride-by-wire" throttle control and here again, both reviews have stated that it is abrupt when in full-power (standard) mode making it hard to modulate the throttle from a closed position in slower turns and around town.

For me, coming off decades of sport riding, racing, and track days, those two items are the biggest priorities. If a bike feels vague when getting it deep into a turn, and then abrupt when picking up the throttle, it just spoils the fun if deep lean angles and smooth, fast cornering are your thing, and those things are definitely something I like to do under the right conditions.

To take it a step further, my current sporting rides are a 2012 FZ8 and a 2012 GSX-R 750. The FZ8 now has just under 5,000 miles on the clock and has proven to be a superb ride. It rails through the turns and is especially stable in higher-speed bends. It turns quickly, handles very well in traffic, and just doesn't do anything wrong. Since I got a 2012 I did replace the stock shock with the Ohlins base model for about 650 bucks US but I saved that much on the bike so it worked out.

Being as I have the GSX-R as a benchmark for handling I can state without any reservation that I would take the FZ8 out to the track in a hot second; in fact many track day instructors use the FZ8 for just this purpose.

It looks like the FZ-09 is very good at pulling wheelies, doing burnouts, and laying big streaks of black from the rear tire but I really don't think most of us buy a bike for those reasons. To get a bike with this kind of power and light weight for a newer rider is a pretty big leap and the abrupt response and vague front end will only compound the challenges. For someone with lots of experience those two things will also tend to sour the milk quite a bit.

I don't think that it will be a simple thing to correct the FZ-09's issues; an Ohlins and a fork oil change was all it took to put the FZ8 where I wanted it but I know the bike actually works pretty well even without these mods. But it starts off with a one-piece casting and a very rigid frame sourced from the FZ1. If the vagueness is related to frame flex then there isn't a whole lot that can be done; a tire change to Pirelli, which has a more compliant carcass than the Bridgestone, might help, as well as a very good setup for the particular rider. Bumping the rear preload, for example, could put a bit more weight on the front tire and damping adjustments or fork spring preload might help. But this all remains to be seen. The throttle response is also a tough one as one would need to purchase an electronic aftermarket module such as Bazzaz or Power Commander and experiment with various maps and dyno tuning, etc. Unfortunately these modules don't seem to cure abrupt throttle response as much as tune the engine for more power when fitting a pipe or air cleaner. I learned this through personal experience. So as the reviews say the bike is not perfect and I am just trying to expand on why I believe these problems exist and how they might be addressed.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of buying an FZ-09 because like any bike, it has its strengths and weaknesses and for some will be just the thing. But as the poster said, common sense tells one to sleep on it. I am no longer considering the FZ-09 as I bought the GSX-R 750 as my track day and sport bike and that was the right decision for me. I would just recommend waiting until the full reviews are out on the bike before pulling the trigger on one because the FZ8 is a known quantity, four cylinders, stable, reliable, and without either of the two issues that seem to come with the FZ-09 and thus it (or something similar) may be a better bike for some of us. There will likely be plenty of them out there after September at bargain prices brand new, and the FZ-09 will likely be fetching top dollar at first, so hanging tight for a while longer might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
pretty much all modern sporty/sportbike frames are 'tuned flex' to some degree. some flex needs to be engineered in for the bike to be compliant over bumps and ripples when it's leaned over. it's just a matter of how well they did the tuning, and if the marketing department decided they needed to add that as a bullet point in the sales brochure.

Another concern I had was the "ride-by-wire" throttle control and here again, both reviews have stated that it is abrupt when in full-power (standard) mode making it hard to modulate the throttle from a closed position in slower turns and around town.
but at least the smooth 'b' mode is available. some bikes with glitchy throttles don't give you a choice.

The throttle response is also a tough one as one would need to purchase an electronic aftermarket module such as Bazzaz or Power Commander and experiment with various maps and dyno tuning, etc. Unfortunately these modules don't seem to cure abrupt throttle response as much as tune the engine for more power when fitting a pipe or air cleaner.
if the abrupt throttle response is due to emissions-related fuelling issues (e.g. off-idle leanness), then it can be cured with adjustment to the fuel maps.

and the ycc-t throttle maps can be adjusted as well. flash-tune can do this.

It looks like the FZ-09 is very good at pulling wheelies, doing burnouts, and laying big streaks of black from the rear tire but I really don't think most of us buy a bike for those reasons.
from the very beginning, yamaha wanted this bike to have an edge to it. that's why it's a triple, that's why the very first teaser video was called 'the dark side of japan', that's why the press intro in croatia was basically a small stunt show.

riders who don't want this kind of edge will be better off buying a different bike.

i forget exactly where now, but i remember seeing a statement from yamaha that said 'this bike is for experienced riders only'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've actually been trying to get a deal on an fz8 and using the fz09 as an excuse for them to lower the price for me. So far they're really refusing to budge. I guess dealers will wait until the absolute very last minute to give you any sort of deal on old stock around here. It's not like I'm lowballing them, they're legitimately just trying to profit as much as possible from me on a model that's being discontinued.

W

·
0 Posts
Calling a flawed motorcycle "edgy" is an interesting take on things. I have owned quite a lot of motorcycles in my time and if flaws in handling and power delivery give a bike a desirable edge in someone's book, it's not mine. I understand there are a lot of folks eagerly awaiting the availability of this machine but in 30 years I have seen quite a few much-touted bikes arrive and fail to live up to expectations. I've spoken to a member of the motorcycle press (a guy I've known for years) who's ridden the bike, as well as a long-time riding buddy who's also ridden one. Both had relatively short rides and in the second case, the bike had been outfitted with a lot aftermarket parts, such as aftermarket Ohlins suspension components. These were press bikes and not representative of what we'll be seeing in showrooms.

In this day and age of computer design and control there really is no excuse for designing a bike that can't live up to its own mission, unless the bike is intended to come in at a particular price point. That means it targets a specific buyer, one without a lot of extra cash on hand but who still wants a lot of bang for the buck. Now this defies logic in a sense, because here we have what should be a "Street Triple" beater, but we already know that it will never outperform the Street Triple R because that bike comes with top-shelf suspension (or close) and is known for its superb handling and ripping engine. Every review now out on the FZ-09 has panned it for abrupt throttle response and vague front-end feel. Even if the abrupt throttle response can be assuaged by switching to rain mode, that is no fix because I for one feel if I pay for 100 rear wheel horsepower, I want to be able to use it, not just read about it. My GSX-R 750 has two modes, one of which is about 60% power. I call it "FZR400 mode". Throttle response is superbly smooth in both full and low power modes and full power actually has more engine braking. If Suzuki can do it, so can Yamaha (and they have, on many of their modern sportbikes, which makes this even more unpardonable in my view).

As recommended, I did buy a different bike, the Gixxer. No one would ever say the GSX-R 750 lacks edge. But it's a very finely polished edge, which is what I want in my bikes and what anyone buying an FZ-09 ought to be getting.

If Yamaha has not got this bike completely sorted then they need to go back to the drawing board and do some fine-tuning because the basic package just is so good it should not be a flawed masterpiece. If they'd offered the bike at $8990 USD with decent suspension, a cast steering head instead of the bolt-together unit, and a better-sorted engine map/throttle response, I'd have been in line to buy one. It is also interesting to note the comment that Yamaha has somewhere stated the FZ-09 is for experienced riders only since the price point would target relatively new riders, not those with the kind of experience needed to handle a 414-lb. motorcycle with 100+ HP at the rear wheel. An experienced rider would more likely demand and expect a seamless product.

We forum members, in my view, should start making some noise about these concerns before the bike arrives and maybe Yamaha will apply some updates to the software at least or start working on some upgrades for next year's model.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
In this day and age of computer design and control there really is no excuse for designing a bike that can't live up to its own mission, unless the bike is intended to come in at a particular price point.
the fz/mt-09 is intended to come in at a particular price point. most production bikes are.

Now this defies logic in a sense, because here we have what should be a "Street Triple" beater, but we already know that it will never outperform the Street Triple R because that bike comes with top-shelf suspension (or close) and is known for its superb handling and ripping engine.
the street triple r is $2k more than the 09. since you're not getting more engine in the r, i'd certainly hope that $2k goes towards suspension.

No one would ever say the GSX-R 750 lacks edge. But it's a very finely polished edge, which is what I want in my bikes and what anyone buying an FZ-09 ought to be getting.
it's a finely polished $12k edge honed over years. the 09 is an $8k clean-sheet design.

W

·
0 Posts
the fz/mt-09 is intended to come in at a particular price point. most production bikes are.

the street triple r is $2k more than the 09. since you're not getting more engine in the r, i'd certainly hope that $2k goes towards suspension.

it's a finely polished $12k edge honed over years. the 09 is an $8k clean-sheet design.
We are in complete agreement.:encouragement:

Just to be clear, I LOVE the FZ-09 and if these issues can be solved I reckon at some point I'll replace the FZ8 with one. But they will have to be solved completely. I dig the sound of the triple, the package is light and "chuckable" and if the throttle issues and front end can be brought up to spec, I'm in. Also, I'd be willing to toss another 1500 bucks at it to fix this stuff. So, Yamaha, are you listening?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I dig the sound of the triple, the package is light and "chuckable" and if the throttle issues and front end can be brought up to spec, I'm in.
for $8k, i don't expect perfection, especially not for a first model year bike. suspension is one of the first things to get cut down when building a budget bike. i do get the impression that the journalists either didn't get the chance, or were not allowed, to play with the suspension settings as their reviews don't mention that at all. fixing the front end vagueness might be as simple as dropping the front end a little, or changing tires.

i get why people are concerned about the bolt-together frame, but i don't sweat it. most motorcycle frames aren't manufactured in one piece, they're castings and extrusions welded together. the difference here is the fastening method - bolts. six high tensile strength steel bolts. i won't lose sleep over that. unless somebody doesn't tighten them correctly on the assembly line.

and as you mentioned, these were preproduction press bikes so maybe the throttle issues will be sorted out by the time we get our hands on ours. and even if not, i don't doubt we'll find solutions in short order. for some of us, that's part of the fun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts