Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I went to the dealer yesterday to see these bikes in person for the first time. After doing much research online, reading and watching videos, many of the small negatives to this bike were confirmed. The suspension was really soft. I am 6'-1" and ~200lbs. When I sat on it, I felt as if the rear bottomed out. The seat is super loose. You can wiggle it around. I've also read about other small things such as the cam chain tensioner issue, front brakes having a bit or air in them and a few others. In the end, all of this stuff doesn't bother me too much. However, I am wondering if many of these issues will be fixed for 2015. Does anyone know when the next model should come out? When did the 2014s? I would like to wait if possible. But another issue is Yamaha increasing the price.

Also, is anyone around my height and weight and ride one? How is it?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I currently have a tacoma, sentra, and a Harley, so this would just be a pleasure vehicle with the possibility of some commuting. I believe there is a Yamaha demo event in Simi Valley, CA this weekend and I was thinking of going to try and test ride one. I still haven't been able to.Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would be very surprised if there was any significant change in 2015. It would be nice to see the CCT issue resolved though

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 185 in my skivvies, while the suspension is definitely soft, it's never felt bottomed it out. So far my riding has been around town, track time, and a 450 mile twisty country ride.
I'm convinced that Japanese cam chain tensioners are just a bit noisey by design. Of the last 5 bikes I've owned people on every forum specific to that bike, complain about the CCT, yet nobody has lost an engine due to a 'faulty' CCT.
My complaint about the seat is more about the shape than how it's held down. It's secure enough.
I haven't touched my brakes yet, but I suppose I could bleed them. I'd bet the sponginess is more from the rubber line than air in the system.

At this price-point, and only the second year of production, I doubt if Yamaha will make any changes. And why would they this early on? Maybe a revised CCT could show up but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That said, I an very happy with my FZ9, it reminds me of the '86 Fazer I had. So far it's done everything I've asked of it. Could it use a few tweaks? Yep, but for me that is half the fun of ownership and this motorcycle hobby I enjoy.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Yamaha Venture has had a cassette tape player in the dash since 1999 and the 2014 still has it.
I wouldn't count on to many changes. It is what it is, a great platform to start building the perfect street machine.
My 2 cents.......

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 200 in my gear. Suspension issues were resolved with front springs and new oil ($85stoltec) and a zx6rr rear shock ($60ebay). Paid my local shop to install the springs and I installed the shock myself. Oh yeah and get the ecu reflash from Stoltec too, best mod imho.

I've been assuming they will put abs on the next model year and charge more but haven't read or seen anything about that, just ASSumption on my part. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be very surprised if there was any significant change in 2015. It would be nice to see the CCT issue resolved though
They might not even do that. A lot of people have reported that it "fixes itself" or at least stops making noise.
I'm 6'1" and 185 in my skivvies, while the suspension is definitely soft, it's never felt bottomed it out. So far my riding has been around town, track time, and a 450 mile twisty country ride.
I'm convinced that Japanese cam chain tensioners are just a bit noisey by design. Of the last 5 bikes I've owned people on every forum specific to that bike, complain about the CCT, yet nobody has lost an engine due to a 'faulty' CCT.
My complaint about the seat is more about the shape than how it's held down. It's secure enough.
I haven't touched my brakes yet, but I suppose I could bleed them. I'd bet the sponginess is more from the rubber line than air in the system.

At this price-point, and only the second year of production, I doubt if Yamaha will make any changes. And why would they this early on? Maybe a revised CCT could show up but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That said, I an very happy with my FZ9, it reminds me of the '86 Fazer I had. So far it's done everything I've asked of it. Could it use a few tweaks? Yep, but for me that is half the fun of ownership and this motorcycle hobby I enjoy.

Happy shopping!
Thanks for the input! The seat isn't a big deal. Easy fix. Just one of those things you shouldn't have to.

I am 6' about 190lbs and I just hit the 800 mile mark and the soft suspension is starting to get to me
hmmm

I'm 6'1" and 200 in my gear. Suspension issues were resolved with front springs and new oil ($85stoltec) and a zx6rr rear shock ($60ebay). Paid my local shop to install the springs and I installed the shock myself. Oh yeah and get the ecu reflash from Stoltec too, best mod imho.

I've been assuming they will put abs on the next model year and charge more but haven't read or seen anything about that, just ASSumption on my part. ;)
Nice. That is helpful. The zx6rr shock bolts right up?

Anyone know when the 2015's are due out?

·
Registered
554 Posts
zx6r and zx6rr shocks both need to have the hole on the riders left side of the clevis enlarged to fit the stock shock bolt. There are threads on here that detail that. IIRC I used a 1/2" drill bit, but search for it dont use my memory on this.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If it were me, I would wait... but not with the anticipation of issues with the bike being addressed. I would wait to see what colors were coming and/or get a better deal on last year's model.

I highly doubt anything besides color(s) will change.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd generally agree, but remember, there are so few '14's around that the discounting will prob be minimal verses waiting 3-5 months. I wouldn't want to wait and miss the summer/fall season to save $2-300.

Color? Well, I'd wait if I didn't (personally) like what was available now :cool:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a feeling the price will go UP.

Reactions: yamahamer

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I have a feeling it should but won't. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I wouldn't expect any fixes for suspension or fueling. Reference the FZ1.

The CCT is a failure issue. Yamaha has redesigned this one twice already. And there have been motors on the FZ09 siezed from CCT failures, and chains jumping teeth.

Yamaha wouldn't have a 3 month backorder on the revised CCT if it wasnt a problem.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can lay down an extra 1500 on bike in upgrades to make the bike equivilent to a 10-11k bike in quality... All the money was budgeted into that engine. If the 2015 model gets harder suspension the msrp will be up, and they will want to make that money back so who knows by how much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can lay down an extra 1500 on bike in upgrades to make the bike equivilent to a 10-11k bike in quality... All the money was budgeted into that engine. If the 2015 model gets harder suspension the msrp will be up, and they will want to make that money back so who knows by how much.
Great point.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I would not wait if you are waiting on improvements, I seriously doubt there will be any.

Price will go up if anything.

Who knows about colors.

Suspension tweaks can be cheap to very expensive. Depends on what you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From all of your replies, you seem to be pretty happy. What have you guys changed so far and what do you plan to change? I'm mostly talking about things that you wanted to change because they bugged you. Such as seat, lights, stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts