Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put this out there for anyone that is interested. I recently was looking at the Vortex V3 gas cap and really like the styling and all, went on to Revzilla and found that it was a direct fir for my bike....cool! More money spent ahhhhgain.

Upon install I noticed that somethings just seemed off. So I turned to here and found a thread for install, sweet. Then there were several confirming what I was afraid of. Cutting modifying the stock fuel gasket.

I have never bought a Vortex gas cap that I needed to modify on any of my other bikes so I was curious and decided to call Vortex themselves.

Called and got the sales guy who I explained my issue with, now I know he's not a tech or prolly doesn't know much. SO I asked to speak to one of the Tech or R&D guys who he had no problem doing cause he was at his extent of knowledge....meaning he said himself that they did not make one for the FZ-09.

The Tech got on the phone and I told him the same thing, and he confirmed and said that they have not made one to fit the FZ-09. So I said well some of the guys says its pretty much the same or is the same as the R6 and or R1. He said no problem let pull up the prints to both of those and compare them to the prints of the FZ-09. He said that though they are similar they are slightly different and that he would not recommend me using it. The reason main was that sealing gasket and what not further more nor would you want to cut or modify your stock one, and we both agreed that doing that improperly could cause an improper seal or interfere with the gasket on the gas cap and no properly seal causing problems.

So I thanked them....by they way that company is first rate quality with products and customer service. So on to the next issue. Revzilla has it listed on their site as a direct fit. I called them and relayed what my findings where and the names of the contacts at Vortex. They are investigating it on their end which is expected but refunded me plus gave me some zilla cash.

Anyways I wanted to let everyone know on my findings. I understand that this may not be an issue to some but I am pretty meticulous and picky so...to each his own.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good customer service from Vortex and I'm pretty sure Revzilla with come thru as well. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm gald I found this post before I ordered one, thanks!

BTW Revzilla still has it listed as a direct fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts