Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month I have been enjoying my new toy (weather permitting). But today I had to go to the store for pies. So, the weather being beautiful here in Colorado, I decided to fire up the Max. I have a large pack that slides over the pillion backrest and sits on the rear rack, so perfect for carrying some groceries etc:evil6:. Long story short, I was gone for a lot longer than I had planned. I hadn't ridden her for about a month, so the riding position felt a little foreign, especially the bars. The bars on the Vmax are not nearly as wide. So, after my trip I was left with this comparison. The FZ is like a cheetah, lighting quick, changes directions in the blink of an eye. The Vmax is like an angry gorilla, brute force. Either one puts puts a giant grin on my face though. Gotta remember to taker her out every now and then.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Rode a Vmax at a Yamaha Demo Day a couple years ago. The engine is everything the reviews rave about, but since I was (to a certain extent) expecting what the engine delivered, what really impressed me was how everything else in the design seemed just as well thought out.

I recall feeling a bit intimidated before climbing aboard and almost backed out (no, no, I came here wanting to ride a Vmax and here is my opportunity... I must not walk away!), though I considered her almost instantly comfortable and quickly familiar once in the saddle. The ride was only 20 minutes or so, but the controls, brakes, etc. caused a reaction something like, "that's just how I would have wanted this to be." The brute force you mentioned... oh, yes. That was the day I learned riding a very powerful motorcycle wasn't beyond my ability. Respecting and gradually learning any motorcycle's performance potential ultimately led to my FZ-09 purchase.

Yes, do take her out every now and then! ;) Or more often.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Broncsrule, how does your vmax and fz09 compare to each other on acceleration? Which one do think can reach 100mph first?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest, I have not wrung the FZ-09 to redline yet, might not have been over 100mph yet either. Also, forgot to mention in my post, mine is a Gen1 V-max. Not the beast you ride. I would think it would be a close race though. Coming up on the 500-600 mile service interval. After that I will be a little harder on her. Keeping the front end on the ground might be the biggest challenge for the FZ-09. Less than full throttle, the front is super light. Sorry, not much help yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts