Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a vista cruise sitting limp & lifeless on my bike for a couple weeks while I tried to figure out the easiest/simplest way to secure it. It's made for a throttle control with the cables on the bottom, but ours goes out the backside. Plus, the brackets that come with it are extremely flimsy and relatively worthless if you have to modify it.

I saw another thread of someone making a bracket that sits on the bottom side of the kill switch housing, and then forks similar to the provided brackets. If I had seen that in advance, I probably would have done the same. BUT, I didn't until I was done with my version, so oh well.

I removed the plastic pin that holds the thumb lever in place. I replaced it with a #8 x 1/2" long rounded bolt & nut.

The bracket I made is a very simple 90 degree angle bracket and drilled two holes in it. One to secure it to the cap screw of the throttle housing, and one to go through this #8 screw. Little loc-tite on the nut and it's good to go.

I bought this from autozone that had the general shape/size I was looking for, then cut off the end to make the bracket. I had some 1/8" steel plate I was going to use, but this fits perfectly, was cheap, and took about 5 minutes (literally) to measure, cut, shape, drill, and paint.

Universal Starter Shim

In retrospect, a 3/4" bolt with a nylon locknut would have been better. I will likely replace with stainless steel & a nylon locknut very soon. I will also be cutting off the factory tab on the vista cruise to get rid of it hanging down.

Oh, and I also sanded down the inside of the unit to allow for the stock handgrip to clear without any binding; the rubber will grip hard enough to hamper the return on the throttle if it's not sanded down. Maybe a different vista cruise model has a larger area for this; I don't know. This seems to work fine, though.

Anyhoo, photos are better than words, so here 'ya go:

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

Reactions: freshme4t

·
Registered
355 Posts
Or you could just get a Go Cruise Aluminum throttle lock.

Be sure to get this metal one with the adjustment wheel in the middle. The springy plastic one doesn't quite work. You might be able to guess how I know this...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like those sort of clams, because they sit on the wrong side of the grip. Seems like they'd wear a groove into the rubber, and make it harder to manually turn off when you need to in an emergency.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love a Vista Cruise.
Ditto.

Cheapest throttle locker on the market lets you engage/disengage easily, and doesn't look like ass.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't like those sort of clams, because they sit on the wrong side of the grip. Seems like they'd wear a groove into the rubber, and make it harder to manually turn off when you need to in an emergency.
What sort of clams do you like? :p

The Go Cruise comes with a silicone ring that you put over your grip. More traction for the lock, and it won't wear through. (In any case, it only moves when you're turning it on or turning it off; it's not like it moves relative to the grip every time you move the throttle.) In an emergency you simply roll the throttle back, just as you always have.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Loved my Throttlemeister bar-ends on my GSX-R. Super simple to install and use - I got mine in a heavier weight, so they had the added benefit of reducing handlebar vibration even further.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts