Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken record here, checking in!

We're at it once again. VIR South next monday.
Short notice I know, but anyone in the area feel free to come join. The more the merrier.

My goals for this TD are:
  1. Finally quit early apexing the exit of Oak Tree turn before the main straight.
  2. Stay on the throttle until braking hard for T1. (It's slightly blind as you're coming up the hill.)
  3. Exaggerate my body position to get my hips more open. My triangle of light needs more light. :LOL:
  4. Gain more confidence at higher lean angles and trust the tires.
  5. Hook my heels farther back on the pegs to get more clearance from my toes... Still having my toe drag issue.
  6. Complete every session without skipping. (I am fat and lazy so when it gets hot out, I wuss out.)
As always, we'll have pics and videos of the day so make sure to stop by after. :)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,964 Posts
Josh Herrin can clue you in on foot position here…

You can skip the first 3 minutes and the last 2 minutes. Josh likes to screw around… 🤪

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh Herrin can clue you in on foot position here…

You can skip the first 3 minutes and the last 2 minutes. Josh likes to screw around… 🤪
Thanks Scott.
I have seen this video from Josh before. I think what I’ll try this time around, is getting setup way earlier than I have been. I find as the day goes, I get lazier. Meaning, I’ll disturb the chassis by moving my body as I’m turning. Last time, I followed a rider that set his body position properly just before tipping in, and it was very natural in his execution. I almost think I need to put a zip tie or something around the front ball of my foot/boot to physically feel where they are on the pegs.

One thing you’ve said to us from the beginning which remains true, “you have all day.” I may just focus on one specific turn that I want to hit and just “cruise” the rest of the track. Maybe then I can nail exactly what I want to do. The track is so mentally taxing. I need to better utilize my time while I’m there and not burn out too fast. I think I’ll work on that this time. Looking forward to the practice.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,964 Posts
I think what I’ll try this time around, is getting setup way earlier than I have been. I find as the day goes, I get lazier. Meaning, I’ll disturb the chassis by moving my body as I’m turning. Last time, I followed a rider that set his body position properly just before tipping in, and it was very natural in his execution.
Great thing to practice. For instance, if there's a straight before the turn, you can slide your body over while you're still tucked in and on the gas. All you need to do is unweight the seat just slightly and slide your butt over. You don't even need to raise your head. When it's time to brake, you raise your body up, and as you lean the bike into the turn, all you have to do is stick the knee out and move your head and shoulders toward the turn. Smooth as silk.

If you have, say, two left-hand turns in a row, but they're separated by a straight section (or even a milder radius turn), you don't have to center yourself on the bike in between the two turns. As you exit the first left turn, just bring your left knee back up to the tank and tuck in a little, but keep your butt over to the left like it was. As you approach the second left-hander, you're already in position.

Transition turns are a little trickier. Say you're in a left-hander, and there's a quick right afterward. It's hard to explain in writing, but essentially you want to make the change in your butt position in one smooth motion. You don't want to slide to the center, and then separately, slide to the right. There's definitely a bit of timing, which you have to figure out for yourself. See if you can find some videos of the pros, preferably onboard cameras mounted on the tail, and you can see when and how they make that transition. Look for "Stu-man" on YouTube. He's got a tutorial on transition turns...

The whole idea - as you've been figuring out - is to minimize the amount of your body weight shifting around, and you'll minimize how upset the suspension gets. Smooth, conservative movements are the key.

I almost think I need to put a zip tie or something around the front ball of my foot/boot to physically feel where they are on the pegs.
The OEM footpegs have those little cross-hatches on the outer tips, but they are somewhat smooth. Try taking a fine, triangular file and file out the grooves a little bit, so that they have sharper edges on them. You might be amazed at how much better you can feel those edges through your boots.

I may just focus on one specific turn that I want to hit and just “cruise” the rest of the track.
That's a great idea! Break it down into sections so it isn't all so overwhelming. 😎

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last call for anyone wanting to join... and as it looks, we again might have the entire track to ourselves.
Don't miss out on a private track rental for like $200. :p

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a freaking scorcher out today humid and sweaty. Well, it’s about that time! Hope the rain coming tonight and tomorrow help cool things off for Monday. Got my trailer and everything ready to go. It looks like the track is going to be completely ours again which I didn’t think would happen. So we are excited about that. Also, this time we are going to do a track walk which I haven’t done before. Looking forward to that. Can’t wait!

·
Registered
Batmobile
826 Posts
Got the S22's mounted up for half price at cycle gear. The guy working noticed my tires still looked like I had been on track and said he was going to hook me up. I'll have to look for him at CMP later this month, since he said he'd be there with N2.

Track walk is going to be cool, the elevation change on the straight is a lot more than it looks like from the paddock or while you're riding.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another successful TD. We both survived and both improved as hoped.

New achievement for me: got both right and left knee down. It was surprisingly comfortable and natural.

I still need to push consistent pace. I still brake too soon and carry lower speed. More to work on. :)

Due to the low turnout, we only ran 2 groups. Novice and Intermediate. Each group got 30mins per session. Dave and I got a tremendous amount of track time. :)
Photos courtesy of my gf out in the stands

·
Registered
Batmobile
826 Posts
Still haven't gotten the right knee down, but Brad was talking about running me for a bump up the next track day. I have to work on my lines and I think the rest will come naturally, I felt pretty good on the last session until I saw the stabilizer leaking, which I may just take off completely, and realized my fuel gauge was down to almost nothing. Going to to try and get to CMP at the end of the month and see if a track with more straights and not much elevation change is easier to be fast on. All in all it was a great day, and I'm really happy with how it all went.

·
Registered
Batmobile
826 Posts
It can get pretty pricey, but unless you're super fast it's easy to budget them. The most expensive one was VIR full and that was still less than $200. They do recommend you get a few extra credit cards. 😂

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I raced off-road for 18 years. I can't tell you how many times I went to the starting line with the plan of just pacing things and see where the race went. The plan evaporated as fast as the green flag dropped. It was all in, push for everything...constantly. Fun but all too often, things got broken. At the time, as long as I could afford the entry fees for the next race, who cared?! My financial plans have changed, retirement is a big concern these days. Oh, and the body doesn't recover these days like it did 40 years ago, crashing would suck.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The initial cost of getting into TD's is a little steep, but there are lots of ways around that if you're keen to stay up to date on for sale sections.

Every once in a while I find local folks on Craigslist selling race leathers (suits, pants, gloves.. etc.) for REALLY good prices. You just have to get lucky on the sizes of course.

Here, just as an example I looked up right now... Here's a suit for $400 OBO! Steal.

The next biggest thing is just the transportation. Truck/trailer... van.. etc. That can add up quick too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts