Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to record some rides. Any recommendations on cameras and mounts?

·
Registered
558 Posts
For ease of use and quality, GoPro all the way. Are you wanting to record your commentary or just the ride?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought this mount and use it exclusively on my FZ with my GoPro. It captures the speedometer and forward view of the road, and since it's tank mounted, you can see how far you're leaning. Found it on Amazon for about $28. 41rFiB5tmEL._SY355_.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like Contour cameras and I own 2 of them. Cheaper than GoPro, same video quality, low profile mounting (you wont have a brick hanging off your helmet or bike). I also like, but don't own, Drift Innovation cameras. From what I can see, they generally have better video quality, they are low profile like the Contours, they have a built in LCD screen so can change camera settings without your PC and view videos (I think) to make sure it is aligned properly. And if you buy the right model of the contour and Drift camera, they are waterproof and don't require a case for mounting or waterproofness unless you are taking the camera into deep water.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like my Sony AS100V. Video is comparable to the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and has much better low light performance. I'm not sure how it stacks up with the Hero 4, but it's significantly cheaper. The factory mounts kind of suck, but you can get a GoPro to standard camera screw adapter (which is what the Sony uses) that allows you to use GoPro mounts off of Amazon for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For ease of use and quality, GoPro all the way. Are you wanting to record your commentary or just the ride?
Just the ride. Any particular GoPro?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought this mount and use it exclusively on my FZ with my GoPro. It captures the speedometer and forward view of the road, and since it's tank mounted, you can see how far you're leaning. Found it on Amazon for about $28. View attachment 16920
Is there a name for it or a brand?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like Contour cameras and I own 2 of them. Cheaper than GoPro, same video quality, low profile mounting (you wont have a brick hanging off your helmet or bike). I also like, but don't own, Drift Innovation cameras. From what I can see, they generally have better video quality, they are low profile like the Contours, they have a built in LCD screen so can change camera settings without your PC and view videos (I think) to make sure it is aligned properly. And if you buy the right model of the contour and Drift camera, they are waterproof and don't require a case for mounting or waterproofness unless you are taking the camera into deep water.
Cool, I will check them out. Hopefully I wont be in any deep water...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like my Sony AS100V. Video is comparable to the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and has much better low light performance. I'm not sure how it stacks up with the Hero 4, but it's significantly cheaper. The factory mounts kind of suck, but you can get a GoPro to standard camera screw adapter (which is what the Sony uses) that allows you to use GoPro mounts off of Amazon for a couple of bucks.
Cool i will check it out, thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I own two gopro's Silver 3+ and a 4, but I am impressed with some of the Sony features. GPS and speed overlay on to your videos is pretty cool.

·
Registered
558 Posts
GoPro owns the segment, it's like getting an iphone, everyone makes accessories, and the GoPro editing software is super easy to use if you're only doing basic editing. Anything 3 and up would do fine, but I'd be on the look out this fall for the newest one, they've been cranking out a new one every year for a while, usually announced in September and available by October. That's why i haven't gotten a new one yet.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
From what I have seen Sony has better low light and image stabilization.

There are lots of comparisons on youtube to look at.

Just remember with videos uploaded to youtube, you never get the same quality as the camera can handle. So any reviews on youtube are not 100% accurate to the cameras actual quality.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=action+canera+comparisons

Plus you can probably buy to perfectly fine slightly older action camera (or more) for the price of the latest and greatest new versions. Plus there isn't much point in having a 4K camera, if you have nothing to view play 4K video on. Also the higher the video resolution, the shorter the video and battery life. If they claim a four hour battery life, it's not going to be with all the features running and recording at the highest resolution.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The replay prime camera is a pretty cool alternative. However, I think the Sena prism is by far the best setup for motorcycle videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm leaning towards the Contour for what I'm looking at doing. Inexpensive ($99) and compact and basically point and shoot.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Promise you will like the contour. The ROAM (the cheap one) is water resistant to 1 meter without having to put it in a case. But if you ever feel like taking it deep, I bought the waterproof case and took it scuba diving with no problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts