Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After a practice run at the International Pikes Peak Hill climb in Colorado, the motorcycles line up for the descent procession in the early morning air. Even though it is officially summer, the temps at the top of the hill are still in the 30's. A combination of cold tires, cold tarmac, and slippery stripes on the road led to a bike going rouge on the switchback above only to tumble down in front of Jeff Grace, 15-time Pikes Peak Racer.

Grace saw it coming, but not soon enough to fully avoid an off. He was forced to lay the bike down and do a super sweet roll out. If this motorcycle racer thing doesn't work, I think he might have a future as a Ninja Turtle stunt double.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Wow. Seems like he could have dodged left, but heh, if it had me I probably wouldn't have done as well as he did.

Is Pikes paved to the top now? Has anyone on the forum ridden it, as a tourist? I'd like to.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Guy Martin is on this hill this year with his Custom Turbo GSXR. Should be interesting.

Reactions: marthy and v2Bob

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lol @ Guy Martin, you've watched the Isle of Man TT coverage a few too many times if you start to understand what he is saying.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paved from bottom to top... Kind of a bummer, but the race has grown exponentially since it is now all paved. The big boys, read: Red Bull, Pugoet, and MB, have thrown their hats into the ring.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Grace saw it coming, but not soon enough to fully avoid an off. He was forced to lay the bike down and do a super sweet roll out.
I didn't see anybody laying a bike down. He hit that bike perfectly straight up.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am planning to ride that road next week sometime. Google maps calls it 99 miles to the top from my doorstep. So I will need to do about 210 miles before having to be at work by 1:00pm. Should be fun, but by then I might be highly motivated to make a seat choice... Hopefully a Honda doesn't ruin my day.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts