Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Its probably something that I am over thinking but. About 7 to 9k rpm does your bike vibrate? I wondering if its just me because I am getting a bad habit of not shifting early as I should be lol

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The bike has a dab of vibration at all RPMs, but nothing unusual at the range you're referring to.

Edit:........I'm going to add in here that to me, the FZ09 is very smooth. So when I talk about vibration at all RPMs, I'm not saying that there is anything excessive. I concur with some of the posts in here, the 09 is very smooth......unless you compare it to a Honda 1500cc Valkyrie flat 6. That's one of those bikes you can stand a nickel up on top of the valve cover and at idle speed, it won't fall over.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I actually find the 09 to run quite smooth, but that is from owning a 1 litre V-Twin and my other bike, a single cylinder thumper DR650SE. The DR runs pretty smooth too, for being a thumper that is.

Yes there is always going to be a bit of vibration, and every bike has it's "bad" spots where it does vibrate more. But with the 09's torque, I don't find the need to shift at higher RPM's like other bikes need.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
where are you experiencing the vibration? I feel it the most in the bars and footpegs - i've put heavier bar end weights to mitigate the bar vibration - this has worked a bit - i'm going to switch out the pegs at some point to rubber ones to mitigate that as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Wish you luck with tracking it down and fixing it to your standards, because the 09 is a fabulous bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's in the handle bars. I can live with it now lol. I was just hoping that it was not my engine going to blow up or something. =p

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is this your first motorcycle? All motorcycles vibrate to some extent, but the FZ09 vibrates less than any other bike I have owned. My other bikes put my hands, feet, or both to sleep but the FZ does not. Also, I hope you aren't really cruising around at 9k RPMs all of the time. Shift to 6th gear when cruising around and downshift as needed.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
An easy thing to do is try adding a little more weight to the bar end weights. Even taping a few quarters or washers to the ends of each bar end with black electrical tape for example. Just a couple more ounces can make a big difference. If the vibration is less or goes away, then you know it's nothing serious.

I had one bike with no bar end weights, just adding a set of light aluminum bar ends made a big difference.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
An easy thing to do is try adding a little more weight to the bar end weights. Even taping a few quarters or washers to the ends of each bar end with black electrical tape for example. Just a couple more ounces can make a big difference. If the vibration is less or goes away, then you know it's nothing serious.

I had one bike with no bar end weights, just adding a set of light aluminum bar ends made a big difference.
I mean this in the least creepy way possible but you really give very sound advice on a ton of threads here - ya da man rocky. Couldn't agree, yet again, with the above more.

Just a little bit of weight makes a big difference. Ditch the stock grips too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok......... This is stupid lol

What caused the vibration was my leather man under my seat, took it out and its all gone........ Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A change to cushy grips took away 90% of the handlebar vibration.

·
Registered
90 Posts

What caused the vibration was my leather man under my seat, took it out and its all gone........ Thanks for everyones help.
yup--I was getting a crazy jingling noise in my sportwagen. It was the Leatherman in the console. Damn him!!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

Good to know you found the problem, and it wasn't anything serious.

P.S. - My brothers mechanic shop has had many "it's making a weird noise" comments from customers. Which turn out to be something rattling around in the trunk, or stones stuck in hub caps, lol. I think the worst was the "nasty smell" one. Turned out to be a quart of sour milk that slid under the back seat of a mini van on a hot day and started to leak. I don't think they ever totally got rid of the smell. It would come back on hot day when the van sat out in the sun, yikes!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good to know you found the problem, and it wasn't anything serious.

P.S. - My brothers mechanic shop has had many "it's making a weird noise" comments from customers. Which turn out to be something rattling around in the trunk, or stones stuck in hub caps, lol. I think the worst was the "nasty smell" one. Turned out to be a quart of sour milk that slid under the back seat of a mini van on a hot day and started to leak. I don't think they ever totally got rid of the smell. It would come back on hot day when the van sat out in the sun, yikes!
A while back a Ford Ranger was written off by the insurance co after an owner left a fish in it for a week and it stunk the vehicle up to the extent it could not be cleaned:
Fish turns car into 'stink bomb' | Stuff.co.nz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts