Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all you new FZ-09 owners.

Tell me about vibration.
Way back in the dark ages, I had a Triumph Trident 3 cylinder motorcycle. It was waaaay smoother than my Bonneville.
Later, I had a Yamaha XS750 3 cylinder.

I have a Honda 919, a motorcycle with little vibration, but after 50 miles, my old hands become numb. It's time to get a new two wheel vehicle.
I want the FZ-09, but have to admit, riding a Burgman 650 is very impressive with its lack of vibration.

I commented on the Cycle World article about vibration and the writer of the article amazingly responded that vibration wasn't a problem.
Other posts have mention vibration...

What is it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Arrowrod; I notice a little vibration on hard acceleration, which I feel is almost 100% attributable to the tires flexing, as I do not notice it under any other conditions. If there is vibration under "normal riding", I sure don't feel it. What I mean is, I am not MINDFUL of it. It would be interesting to get other opinions.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a Honda 919, a motorcycle with little vibration, but after 50 miles, my old hands become numb.
conventional (flat plane) inline fours have inherently bad secondary vibration - the 'buzziness' which is making your hands numb. it gets worse with higher revs and larger displacements, so liter class inline four sportbikes usually have a counterbalancer rotating at twice the engine speed to counteract it. larger inline fours in cars usually have two.

an even firing inline triple has an end-to-end rocking motion, but on most modern triples like the 09 there's a balance shaft to counter this.

your hands shouldn't go numb on the 09 like they did on your 919.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I notice that when my form gets sloppy(tight hands, loose knees), I feel some vibration...nothing major though Once I correct my form it goes away. =)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The bike got some vibe but not high pitch like my FZ6R. With my 6R my hands get numb after 30 minutes. I tried everything... Renthal handle bars, heavy bar ends, get grip... Bone stock the 09 is much better. I went for a few hours ride last Saturday... no issue at all! That's a smooth ride... go get one!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I want the FZ-09, but have to admit, riding a Burgman 650 is very impressive with its lack of vibration.
Welcome, arrowrod. I have also spent a little time on a Burgman 650 and it's a remarkably smooth machine. I completely understand why you're impressed. The maxi-scooters generally emphasize rider comfort and convenience, and the Burgman 650 is right up there with the best of them such as the Honda Silver Wing (former owner) and the Yamaha Morphous (current owner).

I suspect you'll perceive more vibration in the FZ-09 than the Burgman 650 but, once past the obvious similarities such as a motor and two wheels, they become very difficult to compare as they are designed to satisfy different preferences. Among motorcycles, in my experience (limited as that may be), the FZ-09 is on the very low end of vibration concern. I recommend that you set aside concerns about vibration on the FZ-09 and evaluate it on its other performance characteristics.

I was looking for a Honda 919 before the FZ-09's announcement. For me, the riding position was a very important consideration. Sure, I wanted a motorcycle with more power, but not at the expense of a riding position I didn't want to maintain for extended periods. Yamaha has delivered both, although some riders give the FZ-09's seat low marks, but each rider has his or her preference. I only have a few hundred miles on my FZ-09; hand numbness is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Elbows up, hold the grips like you are shaking someones hand not straight and down. Hands will not get numb.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
A relaxed grip on the bars is very important. The FZ really doesn't have much vibration and like was stated in an earlier post, it mostly noticeable at very hard acceleration....and I suspect that is a combination of the amount of intake air through the throttle bodies, the normal engine vibration, and possibly the road surface smoothness or lack thereof.

Reactions: steviet

·
Registered
580 Posts
I remember the old bonnevilles, my friend had one - also way back. They did have vibrations, more than my A10, but I think that is because the flywheels were lighter on the bonnie.

The smoothest bike I have ridden is the one I just traded in - Bandit 1250. It had rubber mounts everywhere, but the ergs put a lot of pressure on my hands and so it wasn't the vibes that got to me, but the position. It was painfull riding up to Flagstaff and back.

The most comfortable bike I have ridden, I still have - a '91 GSX1100G. It has 1 vibration patch at 4600 rpm, but the seat, bars and pegs are perfect for me. I should get the seat re-done as age is getting to the foam.

The FZ on the other hand has (I think) a hard mounted engine, foot pegs and bars, but because the bars are close to the perfect position, your hands don't get pushed into them, so the vibes from the engine that transmit through the bars, but don't seem to get fed into your hands. The foot pegs could go a little further forward for me, but there is a clutch housing in the way, so i can appreciate their location.

During acceleration, you can feel the vibes / power pulses, but when up to speed it does smooth out and there are some freeway speeds (75-80) where it really smooths out to almost nothing.

The seat could be flatter and a bit softer as it does seem to be getting to me. I will be trying to adjust the rear ride height by turning the spring to a softer position and see what that does.
Sounds like you need a test ride.
Get your trade-in ready!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't notice any vibration. However it does give the sensation that your riding a mechanical device.
That's a good thing.

Reactions: cjhorton and v2Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just got back from the Orlando Yamaha Kawasaki dealer. They have a demo FZ-09, no FZ-09s for sale. About an hour ride to get there.
The FZ has a "slight" vibration tingle, subdued enough, that I would have bought one. However, the two they had for sale, were already sold.

I didn't find the throttle "twitchy" (in standard mode), but I ride a fuel injected bike (Honda 919) that accelerates with a very slight twist.

The brakes grab more than my 919, no big deal, would get used to them in a couple of rides.

The engine does "growl", when accelerating. The riding position is like riding a dirt bike, you're much more forward, but get used to it in a few miles.

The one thing that bothers me is the seat is too hard for my old ass.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
If the only issue for you is seat hardness, that's an easy fix for pretty cheap. I'm going to have mine re-worked this winter by a local guy here in E. TN. To me, the seat has a bit too much forward cant and needs to be leveled out a bit, that and some gel foam.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A relaxed grip on the bars is very important. The FZ really doesn't have much vibration and like was stated in an earlier post, it mostly noticeable at very hard acceleration....and I suspect that is a combination of the amount of intake air through the throttle bodies, the normal engine vibration, and possibly the road surface smoothness or lack thereof.
I think a lot of people forget to pinch the tank with their legs to take the weight off their hands. Also, getting the bike setup, bars/seat/shocks for your body properly is underrated by most.

Steve

·
Registered
611 Posts
As my pa always said..."Hold the grip like your holding your pecker when ya pee"

I think grip was a euphemism though. J/K BTW ;P

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a little bit of annoying vibes in the bars. I've used Grab-On foam grip covers on other bikes, they just slip on. They get rid of enough vibration that it doesn't bother me now. They also make the grips a bit bigger, which seems to help keep my hands from cramping on long rides.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts