Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my bike today and when I push it out of the garage I eared a strange "chain ticking" sound.
Is your counter sprocket have notch on both side to let the chain side plate "sit"?

The inside chain side plate does look a little "polish" but doesn't look worn yet.

Can you tell me if this is normal?
Thanks!
DSC02460.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm front sprocket.

I had a shitload of sand around my front sprocket one day that caused a whole lot of ticking. Not on this bike, but same deal.

A clean and relube and she came all good.

Yours looks pretty cleanish down there though on second look.....

Sorry mate, I am out of suggestions.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
6537d1402879919-vibration-chain-ticking-sound-your-counter-sprocket-look-like-dsc02460.jpg

What I've circled? If I recall right that is made of plastic and cushions the links to reduce noise. Some chain noise is normal as you roll it around with the engine off, too tight will make it louder, what the manual says is on the tight side, I adjust mine with a little more give.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 6539

What I've circled? If I recall right that is made of plastic and cushions the links to reduce noise. Some chain noise is normal as you roll it around with the engine off, too tight will make it louder, what the manual says is on the tight side, I adjust mine with a little more give.
Yeap, those circle. If this is normal, let's ride :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Most OEM counter sprockets have a rubber dampener on either side of the sprocket to help keep vibration and noise down as the chain goes around the front sprocket, and to protect the transmission from the same forces that produce said noise and vibrations.

Because it's new, you are just starting to see dimples in the rubber from the chain. Eventually, as it wears, it will just be a solid indent/groove all the way around.

Brand new rubber dampened sprocket:

Worn sprocket:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most OEM counter sprockets have a rubber dampener on either side of the sprocket to help keep vibration and noise down as the chain goes around the front sprocket, and to protect the transmission from the same forces that produce said noise and vibrations.

Because it's new, you are just starting to see dimples in the rubber from the chain. Eventually, as it wears, it will just be a solid indent/groove all the way around.

Brand new rubber dampened sprocket:

Worn sprocket:

Thanks Lucky_Devil, explanations make a lots of sense!

Yamaha FZ09 / First bike and it make me smile like nothing else!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yamaha FZ09 / First bike and it make me smile like nothing else!
Enjoy!

Be safe!

....and know that this phenomenon is not exclusive to the FZ-09... all motorcycles have the power to make you smile like nothing else :thumbsup:

·
Registered
730 Posts
IOW... The chain is WAY too tight!

Loosen it to about 50mm.

Chain slack is at 25mm and alignment look good. The sound is coming from front left side.
Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would give it more slack than 25mm.Another.5 inch on an unladen bike.
If you have a stand or a prop stick get the rear wheel up and sit on the ground and clean the chain really
Good with like say WD-40 and then roll and inspect closely the whole chain.Look for tight spots indicating
A bad link.If nothing else will give you a peace of mind when riding.
Rule of thumb:set your chain up a little bit looser and keep it cleaned and lubed at least every 500 miles.
Remember that the true way to check alignment is with the string method cause swing arm marks can be off from factory .You need only check it once with the string method to see if your swing arm marks are true and then compensate @ every chain adjustment if they are.
Yamaha's chain slack tolerance is too tight(.20-.59) IMO.I think they were trying to cover up that crappy,snappy throttle response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think 'inroads' is correct because my dealer, acting on Yamahas instructions tightened the chain so much there was virtually no deflection. I will never buy another new Yamaha after the miserable way they have reacted to what is an obvious defect in the bike. I asked my (not very good) dealer what service bulletins were out on this bike and he, amazingly, said there was only one and it was a trivial matter. What a load of bollocks given the known problems!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think 'inroads' is correct because my dealer, acting on Yamahas instructions tightened the chain so much there was virtually no deflection. I will never buy another new Yamaha after the miserable way they have reacted to what is an obvious defect in the bike. I asked my (not very good) dealer what service bulletins were out on this bike and he, amazingly, said there was only one and it was a trivial matter. What a load of bollocks given the known problems!
Good luck with any other manufacturer then, because in my experience all and every single motorcycle has their flaws. There is no such thing as the perfect motorcycle really. This is one of the best motorcycles I have owned to date in terms of quality and performance. Not to mention price.

Load of bollocks? I strongly disagree. There is only one defect on this bike, and that is the cam chain tensioner. And Yamaha are working to have it sorted, it just takes time. To date, this is the only actual "real defect" I have come across on this bike, and it was a inconvenience more than anything else. Nobody likes to hear a cam chain slapping on anything. Did it stop me from riding as a defect? No.

The chain being tight, is not a defect. It is an attempt as stated before to dampen the effect of the snappy throttle. Also not a defect. The throttle is just a side effect of crappy emission laws and manufacturers trying to work around them whilst keeping a highly tuned engine with maximum power available possible. And I think they did a pretty damn good job.

Any other "known" problems, are more "perceived" problems. Not actually problems, just inconveniences and things that people wished that Yamaha did differently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts