Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a brand new 2018 xsr900 today and noticed it vibrates a bit at speeds from 25-20mph when the clutch is pulled in ornits in neutral. It doesnt do it at any other speed.

Any idea if something is wrong?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats on the bike.
Vibrates how/where? Handlebars wobble? Foot pegs? Are you confident it’s only in that range of speed? (odd if so)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the bike.
Vibrates how/where? Handlebars wobble? Foot pegs? Are you confident it’s only in that range of speed? (odd if so)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No like a very subtle vibration, like not rough or jaggedy more similar to the engine revving at 2000rpm. At first I thought I had reved the engine slightly every time it happened.

Basically ill pull in the clutch. It'll feel smooth till i hit 25mph, then theres a very subtle soft vibration that can be felt in the footpegs and handlebars. Once i slow down past 20mph it dies off and its perfectly smooth again.

Idk if everything just needs to settle in. I put 200 miles on her just today from cruising around. Didnt really notice it till around 120 miles though.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
I would first check the chain tension and make sure it's not too tight. For some reason, the manuals for all of the versions of the 900 triples show a very minimal amount of chain slack, and as far as I'm concerned (along with many other people), it's just not right.

If that doesn't fix the vibration, post a follow-up...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the right spec?

I iust went outside and checked.. that thing is tight. About half inch of play

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
I like about 25-30mm of free play on mine. I think the book tells us 10 or 15mm... ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like about 25-30mm of free play on mine. I think the book tells us 10 or 15mm...
They probably adjusted it to that. I tend to be very paranoid thats why I noticed it. Will wait till 600 mile service to seenif it settles down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do remember how tight the chain was on mine when new. Have since checked others on the showroom floors, they all seem to be very tight from new.
A vibration appeared in my bike, at around 5000kms. To my ears ( Mechanic Ears) it felt like a bearing had gone in the Gearbox, It was very obviously a new Rumble/Vibration, as the engine is generally so smooth.
Turned out to be a dry chain...now I can tell when the chain needs lube by this Rumbly vibration.
It immediately vanishes with a good lube.
AB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do remember how tight the chain was on mine when new. Have since checked others on the showroom floors, they all seem to be very tight from new.
A vibration appeared in my bike, at around 5000kms. To my ears ( Mechanic Ears) it felt like a bearing had gone in the Gearbox, It was very obviously a new Rumble/Vibration, as the engine is generally so smooth.
Turned out to be a dry chain...now I can tell when the chain needs lube by this Rumbly vibration.
It immediately vanishes with a good lube.
AB
I was thinking the chain might be a lil dry. Gonna lube that sucker up

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I added motul chain oil to it and it still happens. Goes from around 23mph down to 18mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts