Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is strange and hard to describe noise on my bike that starts at 4k rpm and goes to about 5.5k.... It can best be described as a noticeable vibration that resonates through the bike and handle bars only at that rpm range. I just recently had Marthy install an ape manual cct on my bike so it's not a faulty cct...also only happens when accelerating moderately hard or going full throttle...does not happen when causally accelerating and it's really only noticeable in first gear

It's the strangest damn thing and other than this noise the bike runs awesome...

Mods so far are: m4 slip on, ais block off plates, Vcyclenut flash, adjustable levers and tail tidy, radiator cover

Just yesterday I took the bike apart and tightened everything down again. Only thing that was somewhat loose was the radiator cover. Bike has 2200 miles and I just did my 2nd oil change with mobile 1 full synthetic yesterday. My chain was checked by Marthy as well and it's good as far as tightness goes. After I tightened
The radiator and changed the oil the the vibration was somewhat less but still there.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?? Any help would greatly be appreciated as the noise is very annoying and I want to track down the issue.

I know some people remove the reed valves before installing the ais block off plates, I did not, could that be rattling against my plates causing this noise?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same issue, a few others have it as well. Still trying to pin it down. Maybe throttle sync issue. Have an r77 exhaust and flash. No block off plates. Could just be part of the bike. I'd love to let a more experienced 09 rider get on mine to tell me if it's normal. Why don't you have marthy ride it and see what he thinks?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine does the same thing, powertrain bone stock except stoltec flash. 5400 miles now without throttle sync yet. I think it's part of the bike. Nick has big headache about this tho.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Chalk me up for having this as well. Stock everything but ape cct.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well at least I know I'm not the only one! I would like to keep this thread going so of any one had it and found out if it's normal or found a solution please post up!

Again, after my second oil change the vibration did go away a bit..not as loud and noticeable... But still there and especially under moderate to hard acceleration

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have let Marthy ride it while I was down there but figured the manual cct would fix the problem...I'm 3 hours away from him and that drive is killer on the bike lol...had bad experience in the past with dealerships also so in no way am I taking it there...with my luck it will be worse after a dealership "fixes" the problem

·
Registered
200 Posts
It could also be that that range of rpms produces vibrations at the harmonic resonance of the frame. If that's the case, I don't think it would be easily correctable

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could also be that that range of rpms produces vibrations at the harmonic resonance of the frame. If that's the case, I don't think it would be easily correctable

And that would be completely fine with me if that's the case lol..while the sound is somewhat annoying, what bothers me the most is the possibility of something being wrong with a brand new bike...as long as this is a normal thing I can deal with the noise...so I guess it's a good sign other people experience the same thing

Would like some more responses though just to see

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine too. I think it's the clutch. It does it pretty bad right when clutch is released taking off from a stop. Not 100% yet though. I need to order my APE tensioner though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had this issue since mile 125. Been to four dealerships and spent months trying to figure it out since February. Thought I was the only one. I decided to just ride and ignore (which is tough), but would love to hear a fix if someone figured it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it seems like a good amount of people have this issue. Would love to hear from some of the more knowledgable people on this site what they think about this and if it's normal or not.... I wonder of every bike does it to some extent it's just wether or not the rider notices it??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it make a difference what gear you are in or all gears?
I notice most of you who posted the issue are in warmer more humid climates.
Wonder if it could be pre-ignition with an advance curve that changes for that given rpm range or low octane fuel.

Just some idea's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's definitely not the reeds- just did the block off plates leaving the reeds and gaskets in, all it good there with no change in noise or vibration.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
So it seems like a good amount of people have this issue. Would love to hear from some of the more knowledgable people on this site what they think about this and if it's normal or not.... I wonder of every bike does it to some extent it's just wether or not the rider notices it??
I won't worry too much about it. There's a lot of moving hardware like gearbox, cams, crank. I never notice anything unusual on mine.

Pre ignition is mostly not the issue since ypurs has been flash and remap. You could always try to disconnect the O2 sensor and see if it makes anu difference.

Got your brake lever fixed?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dcppf your the closest fz09 rider to me that I have seen. How often do you have to adjust your ape cct. I was thinking of getting one myself. I read something about blocking off the oil feed for the stock adjuster when you install the ape adjuster. I was wondering if you have done this or know what was needed to do this?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I hear the same sound on my fz. But I think it's the rad cover vibrating against the rad. The foam I used to protect the cover from banging on the rad is quite thin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I won't worry too much about it. There's a lot of moving hardware like gearbox, cams, crank. I never notice anything unusual on mine.

Pre ignition is mostly not the issue since ypurs has been flash and remap. You could always try to disconnect the O2 sensor and see if it makes anu difference.

Got your brake lever fixed?
Trying not to worry about it too much lol..honestly the bike runs awesome so I don't think it's affecting anything it's just more annoying than anything...would like to know what it is.

And I believe it was the clutch that was a little loose when I was at your place right? I'm just leaving it as is lol...I tightened it up some and it feels good so just gonna leave it! Thanks for installing that cct btw!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear the same sound on my fz. But I think it's the rad cover vibrating against the rad. The foam I used to protect the cover from banging on the rad is quite thin.
Yeah I thought about that as well but I can't remember if I have been having this noise since before I installed the radiator cover or not but I'm gonna take it off tomorrow and see if that works

1 - 20 of 68 Posts