Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like its coming right behind the radiator. I get to about 4k RPM's and I hear something vibrating like a loose bolt/washer or something. It goes away by the time I hit 5k, or maybe the bike is just cancelling out the noise. Any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) - widely known issue - tons of threads on it.

Go get some coffee and do a search for CCT

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I thought that was a rattle issue? Mine sounds like a buzzing sound.
I think I know what you're talking about, kind of like a small ball bearing bouncing quickly in a tight space? Mine does it, but not all the time... not sure what it is, but it makes me want to take the valve cover off to look. Maybe it's an AIS issue or even fuel? I filled up at a different station yesterday and it was back with a vengeance on startup today. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
ive noticed mine makes this noise right at 4k, i can hear it through the helmet. Ive been actively ignoring it since all the trouble ive had with the CCT replacement. Im accepting it as a part of the bikes character.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The CCT sound on bikes with failed CCTs happens at around 4-5k, then progressively gets worse, and affects all rev ranges.

This same sound is apparent during start up, at idle.

It sounds like a ball bearing bouncing around, or a screw driver resting on a running chain.

On failing CCTs the sound can come and go, but typically gets worse over time.

Procuring this part from Yamaha isn't easy, they will replace, under warranty only, there is no recall. Backorders are running about 2 months, as it is a very common problem. So common, they redesigned the CCT itself, as it was apparently a design flaw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The CCT sound on bikes with failed CCTs happens at around 4-5k, then progressively gets worse, and affects all rev ranges.

This same sound is apparent during start up, at idle.

It sounds like a ball bearing bouncing around, or a screw driver resting on a running chain.

On failing CCTs the sound can come and go, but typically gets worse over time.

Procuring this part from Yamaha isn't easy, they will replace, under warranty only, there is no recall. Backorders are running about 2 months, as it is a very common problem. So common, they redesigned the CCT itself, as it was apparently a design flaw.
Yep, finally got mine replaced under warranty, i hear a slight rattle rattle right at 4k, but not anyhwere else. According to yamaha corporates "master engineer" the revised CCT is 1/4" longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CCT issue you guys are talking about, I only notice a sound like that when I shift from gear to neutral, and then release the clutch. Is that part of the problem or is that normal?

But Im glad to hear I'm not the only one who hears the buzz at 4k

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fizzer, thank you for all the community support you have done and continue to do, if it wouldnt be to much trouble, do you happen to have pictures of those cct's side by side? God only knows where yamaha corporate got that information from, but them giving out false info means im going to have some stern words for them. I swapped out for Rotella T6 full synthetic and tightened up my chain and the slight rattle noise at 4k has disappeared. I can genuinely enjoy the sound of the motor now. God I love 3 cylinder bikes.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Were they (old and new CCT's) the same length when fully extended?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What could happen? Chain skips a tooth, piston smacks a valve, engine locks up.

When it fails, you will hear the rattle, which means instead of tightening, it is loosening.

This can lead to a catastrophic failure.

It has already happened.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What could happen? Chain skips a tooth, piston smacks a valve, engine locks up.

When it fails, you will hear the rattle, which means instead of tightening, it is loosening.

This can lead to a catastrophic failure.

It has already happened.
I'm starting to hear the buzzing sound on mine, and I certainly don't want ANY of that to happen. I'm taking it in for its first service this Saturday. Here's hoping I can get the problem resolved quickly. :sad5:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have less than 100 miles on mine and it has a "whine" at 4k, especially in 6th gear........very distracting. Normal? Notice it when I am cruising....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just put the new CCT in today... that buzzing sound has gone away again. Strangely enough there was no typical chain slap even thou there was a buzzing sound... different levels of noise for different levels of tension i guess. : \

1 - 20 of 28 Posts