Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm new here... I'm loving reading through the many posts here. Very informative.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an FZ09 from an 04 VFR800. I was wondering if another member here has done it and what there experience was. I've ridden countless bikes and the VFR800 is my favorite overall, but the power deliver isn't smooth with the VTEC and it's on the heavy side. I was hoping that the new 2014 VFR800 would be the answer, but it's a disappointment.

I would like a new bike, want it to be peppy, look cool, but I don't want to break the bank. That's a lot of ask for, although I believe the FZ09 is the answer despite the small tank size, average suspension and brakes.

I've done a lot of mods & tweaks to my VFR800 and love it, but I feel it's time to move on.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Until I saw the FZ-09, my two other choices were the Honda 919 and VFR800. I came closer to buying the 919 than the VFR, but with the FZ-09 I'm over both of them. You're generally right about the gas tank, suspension and brakes. Looks can be very subjective but yes it looks cool. Very reasonable price. However, "peppy" is a dramatic understatement when an FZ-09 is the topic. Best wishes on your search. Whether you buy an FZ-09 or not, welcome the forum!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Never ridden a newer VFR, but I have ridden a '97 VFR750F.

Main differences:

The FZ09 is NOT a sport tourer. It was designed primarily with city riding in mind. It is very light and nimble.

The seating position feels more like a dirtbike than anything else. There isn't even a hint of that slight forward lean you felt on the VFR. You sit PERFECTLY upright.

Power delivery on the VFR came on much stronger off idle than most 4 cylinders, but it was still pretty weak at low RPM compared to most V-twins I've ridden. The FZ09 takes off with authority right off idle. It has more torque available off-idle than most middleweight supersports do at their peak. Riding it reminds you of that first time you hopped on a motorcycle where you had to be REAL careful in order to keep from getting bucked off (of course part of this has to do with the twitchy electronic throttle as well).

It is VERY easy to correct for errors. The seating position combined with light weight make it easy to compensate for mistakes. This was the first bike I had ever bought brand new, and as a result, the first bike I ever owned where I had to juggle the combination of both brand new tires AND brand new brake pads. I had a couple near crashes taking it home from the dealer as a result where the rear end slid out from behind me when braking. Instead of eating pavement like I would have on my old Ninja, I corrected just as easily as if I were on a bicycle and kept it upright.

Ultimately it's a very different bike from the VFR, and if the TYPE of riding experience you're after is what the VFR was designed for, you won't enjoy the FZ09. If you're in the mood for something totally different, however, designed more for hooligan antics in your local urban sprawl and embarrassing supersports on local mountain passes, while making your commute to and from work fun despite being in traffic, this is a good call.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
I just came off of a 6th Gen VFR and I'm never looking back... of course I'm not delirious about the sport touring capabilities of the FZ vs VFR...
Don't get me wrong the VFR was hands down my favorite bike before the FZ... but the smoothness, the weight, and the naked-goodness-looks were too much for me to turn down.

P.S. I'm going to tour / motocamp like a boss with my niner!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Apples to oranges here. I owned a 99 Vfr for a 5 years. Wonderful bike. As the previous comment stated, fz-09 is no sport tourer and it will never match your Vfr in that category. It excels as a city commuter and hooligan bike. Not as practical as the Vfr but much quicker off the line, very nimble and maneuverable in traffic and at low speed. With suspension upgrades it will give 600 cc race replicas a spanking in many situations. At my age, I should be well beyond that kind of stuff. And oh yeah, it wheelies like a bastard.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought a used 2004 VFR last year and when the VTEC valves opened up it was like the other two barrels of a 4 barrel carb on a big V-8. fun in a straight line and a little unsettling in the twisties. The power was there but it took more revs to get it going like others have mentioned. The VFR required 16k valve services that few owners did and shops charged 7-8 hours labor to do them. I got rid of it before paying for that service. At least the FZ-09 is over 26k between valve adjustments but I have no idea what that will cost yet. The FZ-09 is lighter and feels it when I have to move it around the garage. You will have to decide on the wind factor. Screens are just showing up now but the VFR had it figured out for you. You updated your vfr pipes so there are options now for the FZ-09 if you care. I have 1900 miles on my FZ-09 and around town it is easy off the line due to the low rpm torgue. The wide upright bars put you in a more comfortable position than the VFR did for town riding.

look at how you ride, where you ride, what you like and dislike about the VFR. call around and see if you can find a FZ-09 to test ride and make it a must test ride. Then decide if it is right for you.
For me the VFR was the wrong choice for what I use a bike for and I knew it in a short time. I sold it before the FZ-09 was even out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx all for the replies so far. It's appreciated.

I started riding off-road many years ago, so I have a bit of a hooligan in me. I wheelie the VFR800 all the time, but that's no easy feat! So I'd definitely love the FZ09 as a wheelie bastard ;) I'm a weekend rider, doing 4-6 hours per day on Saturday &/or Sunday and I do a couple of 2-4 day trips a year. I love "rip your arms off" acceleration, spankin the twisties and a bit of hooliganism once in a while. So I don't ride like gradma. I should mention that one of the bikes I owned in the past was the Kawasaki 650R and I loved it. Also, my wife has a GS500, which I've ridden from time to time. So I'm used to the riding position of the FZ09, although I hear it's a little more forward than other bikes in it's class. I've almost made up my mind, but not 100% ATM.

Oh, here in Canada they're $8999, but I'm hoping to get a better deal in the spring.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Thx all for the replies so far. It's appreciated.

I started riding off-road many years ago, so I have a bit of a hooligan in me. I wheelie the VFR800 all the time, but that's no easy feat! So I'd definitely love the FZ09 as a wheelie bastard ;) I'm a weekend rider, doing 4-6 hours per day on Saturday &/or Sunday and I do a couple of 2-4 day trips a year. I love "rip your arms off" acceleration, spankin the twisties and a bit of hooliganism once in a while. So I don't ride like gradma. I should mention that one of the bikes I owned in the past was the Kawasaki 650R and I loved it. Also, my wife has a GS500, which I've ridden from time to time. So I'm used to the riding position of the FZ09, although I hear it's a little more forward than other bikes in it's class. I've almost made up my mind, but not 100% ATM.

Oh, here in Canada they're $8999, but I'm hoping to get a better deal in the spring.
The FZ-09 is the right bike for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you guys find the wind, is it a problem and if so at what speed? That is another concern Wind really isn't an issue on the fulled faired VFR, so that's a concern of mine as well. I heard from other buds with naked bikes, and some of em get tired trying to resist the wind all the time on long trips.

Oh... I hear the FZ09 is speed limited, if so, what the limit? I guess an ECU mod/flash would fix that.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The FZ is a naked bike, period. The wind is tough beyond 80 mph. It was not intended to be a touring bike like my former VFR800. On the other hand, I am putting an MRA touring screen on for long haul duty. I have not reached the speed limiter yet as I have had limited time on the bike due to the weather. My ECU is being flashed as I type, so the limiter will be eliminated soon enough.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Like Doug says, it's uncomfortable over 80 mph. Doesn't bother me below that. I kind of like that aspect though. Sort of a natural speed limiter.....

Naked bikes are not comfortable in cold weather. But I live in Az

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. You have a link to that MRA touring screen?

That ECU flash, are you doing it yourself or getting someone else to do it?

The FZ is a naked bike, period. The wind is tough beyond 80 mph. It was not intended to be a touring bike like my former VFR800. On the other hand, I am putting an MRA touring screen on for long haul duty. I have not reached the speed limiter yet as I have had limited time on the bike due to the weather. My ECU is being flashed as I type, so the limiter will be eliminated soon enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Natural speed limiter for sure, but with a tall windshield it should be a bit more comfy at higher speeds.

Like Doug says, it's uncomfortable over 80 mph. Doesn't bother me below that. I kind of like that aspect though. Sort of a natural speed limiter.....

Naked bikes are not comfortable in cold weather. But I live in Az

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Rodney,
I just sold my 2001 non vtec. I have limited seat time on my fz due to weather.
comfort wise the fz trumps the vfr hands down.
The non vtec with a pipe sounded amazing, but the little seat time I had with my fz, the motor with the stock pipe sounds good. And what a motor.
Brakes will be better on the FZ, and the suspension (with some tweaking: front fork springs, and 10w oil will help)
I'll be getting a adj. windscreen from mra: MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ-09 '14 - TwistedThrottle.com
which should solve a lot of the wind issues.

I'll be proper test ride next month in southern California. More to follow.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I got the Touring. I may have to cut on it to make it more streamline, but will have to wait and see. Still a few weeks away from delivery to the states.

My VFR was a 2000 model. Loved that bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got the Touring. I may have to cut on it to make it more streamline, but will have to wait and see. Still a few weeks away from delivery to the states.

My VFR was a 2000 model. Loved that bike.
I really like the MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield for the design and screws are on the side, kinda hidden, cleaner look IMO. Although, the Touring one would probably give better wind protection. Oh, and these come in a all stain as well, nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts