Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading on reviews that Yamaha tried to make everything very compact for the FZ09. One of the things that I'm finding slightly annoying are the closeness of all the switches... it's minor, but perhaps for the '15 model they can space out the horn and kill switch buttons away from the other switches.

I think i'm going to unplug my horn now (I didn't see a fuse for it on the manual). I keep pressing it once in a while, so embarrassing... anyone else? :p

Other than this minor nuisance, this is such a great bike. Way more fun on the street than my previous R6 and S1000RR. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I hit the kill switch while changing throttle modes the other day. Granted they were winter gloves and a bit too big, but still....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing yesterday... hit the kill while trying to change modes right before a long steep climb... I haven't done it again, but if i recall correctly, you have to be in neutral to restart the bike? (I might have to purposely re-try this to figure it out) In some of my other bikes you can just pull in the clutch regardless of current gear, re-start and go.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did the same thing yesterday... hit the kill while trying to change modes right before a long steep climb... I haven't done it again, but if i recall correctly, you have to be in neutral to restart the bike? (I might have to purposely re-try this to figure it out) In some of my other bikes you can just pull in the clutch regardless of current gear, re-start and go.
You are correct as far as restarting the bike it happened to me 2 or 3 times. I am pretty sure it's because I am still learning to finesse the clutch.

I think i'm going to unplug my horn now (I didn't see a fuse for it on the manual). I keep pressing it once in a while, so embarrassing... anyone else?

I think the horn sounds louder to me because the bike is quieter and closer to the rider. I Believe Piaa makes a nice after market horn. I think if you went with a wolo it would look to big on the bike.

Reactions: ak_rr

·
Registered
188 Posts
.. wait... what?! ... am i understanding that correctly? .. if you stall .. you have to click it back to NEUTRAL?? .. either while rolling or instantly find a safe place to do so? ..

that seems a trifle... silly ... havent they heard of a clutch safety switch? ...

just a mental image here .. group ride ... as some mates and friends might sometimes do... reach over and bump your kill switch ... or pull the keys ... (yeah its silly but it happens eh!) .. you then have to sort out a stop or find neutral really quick whilst potentially getting very close to dumb ass cagers? ..

please tell me im just reading it wrong!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No issues for me with the switches with my regular gloves, but when I double up with winters it is very cumbersome. I'm going to have to try the kill switch flip... on all the older bikes I had, all you had to do was turn the switch back on and the engine would fire right back up without missing a beat. ???

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've beeped the horn a few times while using the turn signal....it's anew bike, I'm sure we'll all get used to it

·
Registered
881 Posts
I stalled mine last week making a turn; shifting to neutral wasn't necessary. Clutch in, restarted the engine, clutch out and resumed my commute never coming to a full stop.

Transitioning from a CBR250R, one of the differences I immediately liked on the FZ-09 was the greater distance to the horn button. On the CBR, I inadvertently hit the horn button many times in the first few months of ownership. On the FZ-09, this hasn't been an issue. As with many features, the appropriateness of the horn button's location is a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For real gang i stalled at a red and had to shift to neutral for the bike to restart.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't had this neutral problem at all. I can restart the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I go to lunch at 1 PM Eastern time today I'm going to doublecheck it but I'm sure that's my problem too I can't just pulling the clutch and restarted there must be something unhooked

·
Registered
275 Posts
If my riding buddies were hitting my kill switch on me they wouldn't be my riding buddies anymore. Also, I think it's a really bad idea of Yamaha to start moving things like the horn button from where it has been on all Japanese bikes for 40+ years. I don't want to have to think about where the button is and maybe even have to look for it when I really need it to save my ass. Honda is doing it too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The parts guy at my dealers knew the problem and an easy fix. If you look under the handle bar right below the mirror to the right of the horn button you will see a plug this plug came out once it was back in problem solved. It does not seam like it is not fastened very well may put a small black zip tie just to be sure it stays.

Reactions: eolith and ak_rr

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have wanted to use the horn, but all that happened was I cancelled the turn signals that were not even on.
My left thumb can't find the horn switch - they do need to be spread out vertically

Reactions: ak_rr

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The parts guy at my dealers knew the problem and an easy fix. If you look under the handle bar right below the mirror to the right of the horn button you will see a plug this plug came out once it was back in problem solved. It does not seam like it is not fastened very well may put a small black zip tie just to be sure it stays.
So now you just need to pull in the clutch and it starts while in gear? I distinctly remember being able to start it in gear when i first got it and now it wont. Same thing happend with my FZ6R

1 - 20 of 26 Posts