Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Venting thread from my 600 mile service at dealer

11K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  BMcEL 
#1 ·
I dropped off my bike today to have the recall and a 600 mile service completed. Picked up the bike and rode home to notice smoke rolling out from the engine when I stopped at my house. The shit mechanic never tightened the drain plug and it was missing when I got home. So the remaining oil dumped out on my garage floor and the rear of the bike including tire is soaked in oil. They said the next service is free....FU$# that! They are picking the bike up to clean it and add new oil. My question is, is that tire still ok to ride? I have never soaked one in oil and tried to clean it.

#4 ·
I believe a similar thing happened months ago to another member and the dealer replaced his bike IIRC.
yup he didnt make it all the way home - another member ripped his drain plug off going over railroad ties and the oil soaking the tire caused him to low side.

Consider yourself lucky.

There's certainly no shortage of idiot dealers - i would demand a new bike but i'm not sure what your rights are as a consumer and if the dealer is obligated to get you one. If anything they shoudl give you a new tire!

Either way, i wouldn't bring my bike back there even if they gave me $100 for them to do the service.

We're not driving cars out of there, if the oil drops out - you pull over, you're in a nice cozy cage with metal protection and 4 balanced wheels. Their stupid error could have f*cking killed you. I would make that very clear to the morons who worked on your bike (not that they'll give a sh*t, unfortunately).

#3 ·
That's awful to hear man. Tire should be fine, but I'd be really careful on it. Might be a good idea to use some dish soap and water a few times to get the oil off.

Tires do contain some oil. The rainbow patterns you see near the chicken stripes is usually oil that has made it's to the surface through heat cycling.

They messed up for sure, but we're human and sometimes we make mistakes. I bet they'll take extra special care of your bike going forward. Some years ago a mechanic let me ride away from my 600 mile service without oil. Bike ran fine for 50k and he always went the extra mile when I brought it in..

#5 ·
Sooo, how long was the engine starved for oil? What internal damage has been done?

I'd get a new tire at the dealers expense as well. Clean oil off the tire? That will seem like a swell idea as you low side and break your back on a fence post.

Your bike, your life... But I take both pretty seriously. Your dealer can't even properly change oil...

Free service and CLEAN the tire? Wow... They are still bending you over. They nearly killed you, and quite possibly caused damage to your engine. Just saying...

#7 · (Edited)
Tire manufacturers recommend no than more mild soap to clean tires. Any petroleum product on tires may be absorbed by the rubber and disrupt the carefully thought out and built molecular bonds that make the tire do what it does. I've talked to many tire manufacturer techs and they all say they'd toss a tire exposed to oil, chain lube, solvents, mineral spirits, etc. if it were theirs, though they won't swear a petroleum product will damage the tire. Ever wonder why tire manufacturers don't sell or endorse tire dressing, it would seem like a natural fit. If you have an old tire laying around, try wiping it with kerosene. It disappears immediately into the tire.

You dealer owes you a new tire, if not a new engine also. Also, take the bike to another dealer for the repairs and either the original dealer or Yamaha pick up the bill. If there's any reluctance from the dealer, call the Yamaha area rep and say the incident and Yamaha's response to it is documented and if a tire failure causes an injury or worse, Yamaha may liable.

#14 ·
Tire manufacturers recommend no more mild soap to clean tires. Any petroleum product on tires may be absorbed by the rubber and disrupt the carefully thought out and built molecular bonds that make the tire do what it does. I've talked to many tire manufacturer techs and they all say they'd toss a tire exposed to oil, chain lube, solvents, mineral spirits, etc. if it were theirs, though they won't swear a petroleum product will damage the tire. Ever wonder why tire manufacturers don't sell or endorse tire dressing, it would seem like a natural fit. If you have an old tire laying around, try wiping it with kerosene. It disappears immediately into the tire.

You dealer owes you a new tire, if not a new engine also. Also, take the bike to another dealer for the repairs and either the original dealer or Yamaha pick up the bill. If there's any reluctance from the dealer, call the Yamaha area rep and say the incident and Yamaha's response to it is documented and if a tire failure causes an injury or worse, Yamaha may liable.
Alllll of this ^^^^x10

#8 ·
Triumph had an issue on the newer STR where the countershaft seal would blow, and leak oil all over the rear tire... They replaced all of those tires, no questions asked. Your dealer sucks. I'd be meeting with the manager, and ask why I should ever let them touch my bike again, and not turn everyone I meet, away from them.

It's not just the mistake, it is the proposed remedy that is idiotic.

#9 ·
take lots of pictures - particularly of the tire - the mess on your garage floor - the missing drain bolt - all of it matters. As others have said - if the dealer won't give you a tire (go somewhere else to have it put on) and repair other damage - tell them you're taking the pictures and your experience directly to yamaha corporate.

#11 · (Edited)
I recommend getting the event well documented and request the dealer either give you a new bike or a warranty covering the engine for the next 4 years and 50k miles or something like that.

The extended warranty he sells for $700 costs him about $300. That is cheap way for him to give you peace of mind over the future reliability of the engine.

I think a new tire is in order as well as a thorough detailing of the bike.

They taught us in law school that the easiest way to resolve disputes is to resolve them within the business realm of the parties involved.

It would be a tough pill to swallow for the dealer to give you a new bike as that would cost him $2-3k. A warranty cost is much easier for him to swallow.

#12 ·
My last 2 cents - i would take the advice on this thread and then request to delete it until you've come to an agreement with the dealer.

I'd go in asking for a new engine (they don't know how much oil fell out of your bike and when - it's serious either way). I'd settle on the warranty as others claimed if you can't get the new engine.

#13 ·
if they don't offer up a new bike, maybe some free extended warranty would be another option.

They can also get the oil tested to see if there is any excessive engine wear going on. If there is not enough left to test now, they could refill it, have you ride it for a few miles, then send in a sample for testing. If there are any issues it will show up in an oil wear test.

#15 ·
This is exactly why I only bring my bike in for warranty/recall work and do everything possible myself. I even consider doing the warranty work myself depending on the difficulty of the job and time, tools, and materials required. Nobody will ever care about your baby like you do. Changing the oil on the FZ9 only requires the removal of one bolt. If a service tech can't remember to tighten it up before they fill it with oil then they should probably be bagging groceries instead. It takes 10 minutes to change the oil and it costs $15 for supplies. It's almost like your being paid $300/hr for the piece of mind that you actually torqued the 1 lousy bolt to spec...

#16 ·
If a service tech can't remember to tighten it up before they fill it with oil then they should probably be bagging groceries instead. It takes 10 minutes to change the oil and it costs $15 for supplies. It's almost like your being paid $300/hr for the piece of mind that you actually torqued the 1 lousy bolt to spec...
Tech is probably not using a torque wrench, tightening by hand and letting the aluminum threads get to him.

#17 ·
I'm going in tomorrow to talk with the manager or owner. The way I see it I had a new bike with no issues when I dropped it off. Now the warranty is technically void due to running it without oil. I figure they owe me some additional warranty and a new rear tire. I'm not sure I can put my full trust in that tire after seeing it completely soaked in oil.

#19 ·
First of all....you need to DOCUMENT the fact that the Dealership screwed up. The dealership is going to try and cover up what they did....so I would call Yamaha USA on the phone and make sure the call is recorded and who you talked to. The service representative for Yamaha should be calling you back on the phone. If anything goes wrong with the bike in the future...you now have it on record what happened....so they cannot deny responsibility.

DO NOT RETURN THE BIKE TO THE DEALERSHIP BEFORE YOU HEAR BACK FROM YAMAHA USA.

As far as oil goes.....you and I and everyone else, rides over oil and solvents and paint thinners on the road everyday. Oil on your tire means nothing at all if it is thoroughly cleaned off properly. That oil did not destroy your tire.

Reactions: Lee Drew
#18 ·
If there was any oil at all left in the motor when you arrived home, then the drain plug must have fallen completely off only immediately before you got there. It's probably in your driveway or in the street in front of your house.

This sounds like the outfit I bought my KLX250 from. They delivered it with the oil filler cap missing, no tool kit or owner's manual and the bolts holding the temporary plate on so loose that it fell off during my first ride to my insurance agent's office. I never noticed the missing plate till the cop who found it phoned me a couple days later.

#21 ·
Your warranty isn't void because of lack of oil. The dealer documented an oil chance service. As you mentioned, oil managed make it's way onto your garage floor which indicates the drain plug isn't far away from your home. I highly doubt your engine would show any signs of wear that would require warranty service.

FWIW, I rode a brand-spanking new 2006 GSXR-600 away from a 600 mile service with zero oil. I noticed an error light about 2 miles later and turned around. The tech came out and said "oh $hit", I forgot to put oil in your bike. I sold that bike with just over 50k miles to a friend who wrecked it, who sold it to another friend who wrecked it. It ran well past 60K miles and kept going.

That said, mechanics see a dozen bikes a day and it's easy to forget the little things. It's a well known fact that the people who are the most familiar with their job are the most likely to over-look the small things. I would give them a second shot to make right by their by mistake.

#29 ·
I traced the oil to see if I could find the drain plug. No drain plug to be found. This was 1/4 mile from my house. I also took a video to show how the oil went from full dump out to a trickle near my house.

View attachment 15788
Good move on the photos, no doubt the drain plug is laying off to the side someplace, after bouncing along for a couple of hundred feet.

#25 · (Edited)
This. I'd work for the added warranty also. Never hurts to try. I'd file a complaint with Yamaha corp. of America also (after you're done dealing with your dealer because Yamaha Corp WILL call the dealer)
The bright side is the oil plug held in till you were close to home. The unfortunate part is that it really only takes a few seconds of oil starvation to begin damaging engine components. Cracking the engine open and/or doing oil analysis are the only sure fire ways to tell. That's why I'd press for an extended warranty deal.

Your unfortunate situation is a good reminder to those who pay to have service done that they should ALWAYS inspect the work done prior to taking delivery of your bike. I was almost killed by a shop who changed my rear tire and didn't tighten everything back up. Since then my bikes have never gone to a shop. Only thing I don't do my self are tires, which only the wheels find their way to the shop. At least if I mess up I did it to myself, not some kid "mechanic"

#28 ·
Oil analysis, good idea riderjay. There may be enough oil left in the filter for one though once excessive wear starts it also will show later. I'd insist on one now to save time.

#31 ·
1) A new tire, new brake pads (I don't care if they look okay), flushing the cases (don't just add oil on top of whatever oil is left), and a free extended warranty are all things I'd insist on. That or they can replace the bike.
2) Since the oil pump could have cavitated - they would have to do an oil analysis from oil in the head - an oil analysis on what is in the filter is like checking what's on the ground.
3) They need to check the oil pump gears and impellers. Some oil pumps can handle running dry, some destroy themselves from just cavitating. Even with an extended warranty I would insist they check the oil pump because an extended warranty won't keep a failure from taking you down or stranding you.
4) Piston and cylinder scoring are my main concern. If it smokes or burns any oil afterwards - then the cylinders starved.
5) Drill and safety wire your drain bolt and filler cap. It's cheap insurance. If you buy K&N oil filers, then the nuts on the ends come pre drilled, so wire them too. You can wire a plain filter by putting a hose clamp on it - then wire the hose clamp.

#32 ·
i wouldn't trust this dealer to touch the bike after what happened, i'd rather go through yamaha and have them give me that credit to use at a different place then to negotiate with those idiots. That picture of the oil is insane, you should have a beer or 6 this weekend to celebrate that you didnt low side.

#33 ·
Spoke with the dealer today. They added a 2 year complete coverage warranty and were very helpful. Tire manufacturer said the tire is fine and a good scrubbing with soap will fix it up which the dealer is doing. Overall, it sucks that it happened but, I feel the dealer did what was needed to fix the situation. Most likely the engine suffered no damage but the warranty gives me plenty of piece of mind.

#34 · (Edited)
That's the best and most logical outcome for both you and the dealer. They going to give you oil and a new drain plug I assume? Glad they worked it out with you in a quick and professional manner. Service is a dealers biggest income, last thing they want is to lose business from customers after hearing they fried a guys engine doing a simple oil change and screwed him over. Which by the time the Internet would be through with it the story would be more along the lines that the bike blew up, killed the rider and a baby in an adjacent car and caused WWIII lol

#37 ·
Skip the oil analysis and save your money. Japanese motorcycles are damn near bullet proof.

Less worry, more riding!

Reactions: Steve101
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.