Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just in case anyone was considering buying these. I spent $105 on ebay and bought the front and rear stands and it came with the triple tree stand too. the front and rear stands work just fine but the triple tree stand is too short. it lifts the suspension a little but the wheel wont come off the ground unless you lift the stands up with bricks or something. im going to try to cut the triple tree stand part and weld in 3 inches of tubing to extend it and it should work just as its supposed to then. i just cant find anyone with 1 1/4" tubing around here. i definitely wasnt going to spend $300 on pitbull stands..

Venom Motorcycle Front Triple Tree & Rear Swingarm Spool Lift Combo Wheel Lift Stands + Paddock Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
From reading the online reviews of the stands, and your comment on cutting up and welding the stands you purchased, I would say you got what you paid for. Cheap Crap from China.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Buy the tubing from a muffler shop.

But I agree with tge above. Cheap crap from China can't come close to Pit Bulls quality amd strength.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I guess I lucked out buying my Pitbull stands almost 10 years ago they were $100 each and well worth the $$$.

Just the hassle you describe of cutting and welding an extension is more than I would even want to mess with.

I buy stuff to work - not me work on it so I can use it.

Good luck with them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I had trackside crap and I just bit the bullet and bought the Pitbull stands. Quality is night and day difference. Glad I got over my cheapskateyness.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was checking out venom stands , 100$ seems like a good deal even if you half to mike a slight mod . You couldn't build one for that unless you already had the parts laying around .

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have both the front and rear Venom stands too. They are kinda cheap...but they work well. I don't have the Venom triple tree stand so I have no idea if it works or not.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Winches are cool

I like the winch approach. I have 24" X 4" X 38' gluelam beam running down the middle of my shop. I twisted a 1000# rated eyebolt into it and hang a come-along (winch) from it then I wrap a couple soft ties around the bars. I could suspend the whole bike in the air if I wanted. I raise the front end and pop a stand under the rear.
Vehicle Auto part Bicycle handlebar Windshield Bicycle part Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
464 Posts
Got my front and rear venom stand for Xmas, been on them for a couple weeks now, no complaints really, obviously they are not 110% quality but they do the job fine. I even sat on my bike while on the stands and moved around a bit. No failures at all and I'm happy

Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys, I need to replace my oil cooler and I really don't want to buy expensive stands or a lift just for this project. I'm sure I could do the job with it just on the ground/kickstand but I'd like it a bit higher to save my back. What would be your cheapest most effective solution?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys, I need to replace my oil cooler and I really don't want to buy expensive stands or a lift just for this project. I'm sure I could do the job with it just on the ground/kickstand but I'd like it a bit higher to save my back. What would be your cheapest most effective solution?
If you can get to your trusses , put a 2x4 that spans 4 or more bottom cords use that to lift the bike cumalong

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree with Dalex, I have an eye-bolt screwed into the ceiling joist of my garage. I've hung most of my bikes from it with no problem. The bike will move if it is not stabilized in some other way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks guys, I like this idea best. alnbama, where do you prefer to attach the straps/rope to the bike? The handlebars for the front I assume...anything on the rear or just have it at an angle?

·
Registered
187 Posts
so just in case anyone was considering buying these. I spent $105 on ebay and bought the front and rear stands and it came with the triple tree stand too. the front and rear stands work just fine but the triple tree stand is too short. it lifts the suspension a little but the wheel wont come off the ground unless you lift the stands up with bricks or something. im going to try to cut the triple tree stand part and weld in 3 inches of tubing to extend it and it should work just as its supposed to then. i just cant find anyone with 1 1/4" tubing around here. i definitely wasnt going to spend $300 on pitbull stands..

Venom Motorcycle Front Triple Tree & Rear Swingarm Spool Lift Combo Wheel Lift Stands + Paddock Attachments
I have the same stands, front and rear. They have worked well enough so far. I wasn't too confident of the front stand holding up on the front spools, so i purchased the triple tree adapted to the front stand. Once installed i ran into the same problem you did, it was too short. So i made a small $5 mod. Bought everything in home depot. One 1/2" rigid coupling and two threaded nipples. I banged the 16.5 pin into one side, nice and sturdy. The locknut you see in the pics is not needed.The nipple side that goes into the triple tree hole does not get stuck when removing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the same stands, front and rear. They have worked well enough so far. I wasn't too confident of the front stand holding up on the front spools, so i purchased the triple tree adapted to the front stand. Once installed i ran into the same problem you did, it was too short. So i made a small $5 mod. Bought everything in home depot. One 1/2" rigid coupling and two threaded nipples. I banged the 16.5 pin into one side, nice and sturdy. The locknut you see in the pics is not needed.The nipple side that goes into the triple tree hole does not get stuck when removing.

Cool thanks. I was going to try to cut the tubing to make it longer. I was going to cut it in half and then use tubing that would fit outside of the original stand and use pins to extend or retract it..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts