Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ecu back so I'd figured I'd write a quick initial review. One word I have to say is WOW! As soon as I started my bike it already sounded different, almost like a deeper and slightlyyyyy louder tone to it. So I hopped on the saddle quick and took it for a quick 5 minute ride. I opted for std=a mode, b mode =smooth, and a mode=quick turn. Started in standard and realized that the bike just wants to go balls to the wall after every stop. But I go down my usually wheelie road(long and straight without any side streets really) and I do a nice pull and test out a wheelie or two lol. It feels really nice. So on my way back down this road I put it in a mode and holy shit!?! I think I did 15-100 in about 2 seconds. At least it felt that way! So after getting my adrenaline flowing I put it into b mode at the light and drove down my local streets to get back home. To me b mode feels like the factory b mode but you still have all the power. It's nice and smooth so it almost feels slow but it's not, and I wanted this option for when I ride 2-up with my girlfriend and I'm glad I chose it. So after my initial ride all I can say is..... Thank you Dave for flashing my bike for a great price and quick timeframe! I mailed my ecu out on Saturday and got it back Thursday. My fz is definitely way more awake than it was before.

Put your sticker on too so now when I whoop some ass they know who to blame!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto

·
Registered
852 Posts
I didn't want to start yet another thread on a Vcyclenut review. So I hope anyone considering will see mine here.

I opted for:
Std = Smooth
A = Quick turn
B = Reduced traction
Temp change to 205/195
Fuel Map = Akra Carbon with baffle.
AIS = Off
as well as other options that I just can't think of cuz these are the ones that were important to me.

I can sum up the difference between Yamaha' reflash Std mode and Vcyclenut's Smooth with the following image:
Circle Macro photography Metal

The best part is the service. It left Las Vegas on a Monday and was right back in my possession the following Monday. That's right from one side of the the country to the other and back in a week. This is a guy who truly understands the customers desire to have the bikes downtime as short as possible.

Do not hesitate. Act now!!!

Thanks Vcyclenut for being a sponsor to the site and for providing great service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't want to start yet another thread on a Vcyclenut review. So I hope anyone considering will see mine here.

I opted for:
Std = Smooth
A = Quick turn
B = Reduced traction
Temp change to 205/195
AIS = Off
as well as other options that I just can't think of cuz these are the ones that were important to me.

I can sum up the difference between Yamaha' reflash Std mode and Vcyclenut's Smooth with the following image:
View attachment 15945

The best part is the service. It left Las Vegas on a Monday and was right back in my possession the following Monday. That's right from one side of the the country to the other and back in a week. This is a guy who truly understands the customers desire to have the bikes downtime as short as possible.

Thanks Vcyclenut for being a sponsor to the site and for providing great service.
What's the "quick turn" mode like? How does it differ from "A" mode?

·
Vendor
1,554 Posts

I opted for:
Std = Smooth
A = Quick turn
B = Reduced traction
Temp change to 205/195
AIS = Off

View attachment 15945

awesome!!! love the pic. I might steal it, lol

glad your happy :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Vcyclenut is a GENIUS! I used A mode (quick turn) for the first time tonight. Quick turn my a--! Should be called "Anti-Gravity"! Wow what an experience.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got my ecu back from vcyclenut, got it installed yesterday and took the bike out for a quick spin. Only rode on Std and B mode so far. Did notice in Std 0-1% throttle is pretty abrupt especially for stop and go NYC traffic, kinda like the old A mode. In the highway man it so smooth. It could be that i got used to rinding with the old map, guess it time to adapt. In B mode, holy molly is smoother than putting butter on bread. Loving this for rain, passengers, lane splitting. I might send it back to smooth out Std mode 0-1% throttle, but not anytime soon. As others have said it already, Vcyclenuts customer service is awesome. Need to find a spot for his sticker. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yea can't wait, was worried to put it on A mode there was crazy traffic when testing. Had my gear in the washer tday, drying time sux. Was a great day to go out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am going to change my base map a bit and slow the initial throttle down some more for a and std. let the sucker rip in a mode bambamrl
I mentioned it in my other thread, but thought I would just put this here since you mentioned it-

I'm not sure how the map works, but I used a program called "Tuneboy" a few year ago which allowed basically manipulation based on RPM and throttle %... I say that to point this out: the abrupt on/off transition is far more noticeable while engine braking around 3-6k rpms. Approaching a stop light I will have the bike at about 6k rpms and be engine braking, the light turns green before I stop and that initial roll is like getting punched! At the lower RPMs it doesn't seem to be quite as bad, although it could still be tamed a bit. Even the "reduced traction" map has a good bit of jerky action in the middle of the rev range while engine braking transitioning into throttle again. However, that map feels buttery smooth under normal acceleration.

·
Registered
654 Posts
daves flash is the best money ive spent on my FZ09

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Vendor
1,554 Posts
I mentioned it in my other thread, but thought I would just put this here since you mentioned it-

I'm not sure how the map works, but I used a program called "Tuneboy" a few year ago which allowed basically manipulation based on RPM and throttle %... I say that to point this out: the abrupt on/off transition is far more noticeable while engine braking around 3-6k rpms. Approaching a stop light I will have the bike at about 6k rpms and be engine braking, the light turns green before I stop and that initial roll is like getting punched! At the lower RPMs it doesn't seem to be quite as bad, although it could still be tamed a bit. Even the "reduced traction" map has a good bit of jerky action in the middle of the rev range while engine braking transitioning into throttle again. However, that map feels buttery smooth under normal acceleration.

that woule be because the motor makes that much more power at that rpm. I believe the torquey nature of the motor is adding to the issue. I never ever hear this with the r6, lol

I also can not use a trick I use with the r6 and r1 to smooth out the reaplication of the throttle as the ecu does not like it. For whatever reason the fz09 ecu has more checks and balances then the r1/r6 ecu.

I do think slowing the initial throttle will smooth it out at all reaplications of the throttle. There is also some bike variability as I am not running a special map in my bike, it is the same as everyone elses, and I do not have this issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am going to change my base map a bit and slow the initial throttle down some more for a and std. let the sucker rip in a mode bambamrl
Holy smokes, A Mode what a rush. Just rode the bike and dayum, saw an empty lane had it i A mode went from 60 to 105 like in 2 seconds, hahaha what a grin in my face. AWESOME. It wasn't for all the cagers and pot holes i would'a kept going.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts