Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my freshly flashed ECU back into the bike today and went for a 50 mile shake down.

In a word I am very pleased with the result.

The bike now has a just tuned up feel. Remember the old cars with V8 engines that were not running bad, but after installing new points and plugs they felt like a new car again? Very similar feel with the ECU flash. The engine is really crisp now.

David claims around 4hp increase and I believe it. The bike is running the strongest it ever has and I still have the stock exhaust.

The 3 throttle maps I chose were: Quick turn, The stock A, and Smooth. I used to always ride in stock A mode before the flash. The other 2 maps were totally worthless to me. Now with the new flash all three are very usable. I gotta tell ya that the quick turn is my favorite. It is smooth off of idle but when it starts to ramp up you better hang on. Total hoot. Stock A mode is just as it was before the flash except the bike now has more snap. The smooth mode is just that...very smooth. A linear delight and would be the mode of choice at the track.

A word of caution here: If you like to do wheelies, and I do, smooth mode is the mode to use. I did a couple wheelies in quick turn and it was a little scary. The front end comes up really fast. It could definitely dump you if you are not careful. That being said I will still ride in quick turn most of the time. Also it's a great mode if your wrist is tired cuz you don't have to do much twisting to get things happening really fast! EEEE Haaaaaaa!

Well after the 50 miles in the twisties I headed home on the freeway. This was where I could really feel the extra horse power. You want to pass a car in quick turn mode? Just a little twist of the right hand and they are looking small in your rear view!

On the freeway above 80 was where I felt the stock FZ09 was a little anemic. Not so much now, and with a full pipe, I imagine, it would pull even harder.

So I have only one question...why did I wait so long?

If you have been riding the fence as I was, I believe it is time to come down, man up, and get it done. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks David for a great product at a bargain basement price. Would love to take a ride with you if you did not live soooooooooooo far away. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I ended up sending mine back to get a couple changes and all I can say is he did the changes and returned it the same day....THATS customer service......I 1000 times recommend his flash all 3 modes are now different.....I got a stock, std smooth and b reduced traction.....oh and mine is now unlimited.....best bang for your buck with this guy.....$80 isn't gonna kill anyone.....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Your statement is completely, 100%, and totally incorrect.

I am very pleased with the result is seven words. Not "a" word. =P

But yes Dave's flash is absolutely awesome. I got reduced tracking B, smooth STD, and quick turn A. I find quick turn completely obsoletes the original stock A mode (at least as far as I can tell).

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your statement is completely, 100%, and totally incorrect.

I am very pleased with the result is seven words. Not "a" word. =P

But yes Dave's flash is absolutely awesome. I got reduced tracking B, smooth STD, and quick turn A. I find quick turn completely obsoletes the original stock A mode (at least as far as I can tell).
I was trolling for a math or English major with that statement...looks like I landed one! Lol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its always nice to feel you got what you paid for alot of the time the in the motorcycle world the aftermarket is over stated so its always good to see people pleased with a product and a company. RR:cool:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Its always nice to feel you got what you paid for alot of the time the in the motorcycle world the aftermarket is over stated so its always good to see people pleased with a product and a company. RR:cool:
Wish I could say the same about Ftune. Not bad but deeply regret dumping $350.00 for that.

Might take a ride to the West side over the weekend...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The smooth mode is just that...very smooth. A linear delight and would be the mode of choice at the track.
I would guess that most track guys, myself included, would disagree. Yes, smooth is important, but quick turn is very very good at the track. Your quick-turn mode is no doubt plenty smooth with a good throttle hand anyway :)

Great review, really sounds like a great product. If I hadn't already had mine reflashed by Nick I'd be sending it over to vcyclenut. :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
1,011 Posts
Wish I could say the same about Ftune. Not bad but deeply regret dumping $350.00 for that.

Might take a ride to the West side over the weekend...
Ill find out today when I have to take my daughter to the dance, The studio was closed yesterday. Im thinking like 1 ish. Im up early so if you got here say 8-9 that gives us plenty of time to play

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am not trying to take anything away from Dave. Im also guessing there are not many out there that can answer this question but what benefits does Dave's flash have over the free reflash from yamaha? Has anyone ridden both flashes that can give a side by side comparison?

·
Registered
406 Posts
The reflash from yamaha just smooths out the throttle. I doubt there is much fueling or timing optimization done. They also do not offer any of the other stuff he does like quick turn throttle, cruise control, speed limiter removal, etc. Basically, if you want a smoother stock bike with no modifications, get the stock reflash. If you want your bike to run even better, and have some options custom tailored to you, send it to vcyclenut. I have had both. The yamaha reflash was much smoother than stock in low gears and got rid of the twitchy feeling you feel when trying to cruise at a steady speed. vcyclenut's flash is like that, but then feels like you made it much more smooth and responsive at the same time. I would highly recommend his services.

Keep in mind, I typically tune my own vehicles. I went with vcyclenut this time because the amount of $ I would need to invest to tune this bike myself, properly, was more than I wanted to spend. He also does free reflashes, so I know that if I ever do any more mods I can send it back to him.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Several of us from the Gulf side, are meeting up in Nov. to have our bikes re-flashed, in Bradenton......when Dave is in the area, it will save us the longer ride, down to Fort Myers.
I'm also interested in vcyclenut re-flash in Bradenton Fl. in Nov. How do I get in on this?

·
Vendor
1,011 Posts
I'm also interested in vcyclenut re-flash in Bradenton Fl. in Nov. How do I get in on this?

I am going to be a Bradenton raceway running my car on sunday November 23. I am going to bring my flashing equipment. If anyone is interested I have some ideas for a launch control Id like to try on a multi mode bike. Either way come get your ecu flashed and watch some bikes and cars run down the strip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am going to be a Bradenton raceway running my car on sunday November 23. I am going to bring my flashing equipment. If anyone is interested I have some ideas for a launch control Id like to try on a multi mode bike. Either way come get your ecu flashed and watch some bikes and cars run down the strip.
Sounds great, then I would need to have my Ecu. out of the bike and then try to find you? Is the flashing to be done before or after the racing? Could you reply to this thread or a PM.

thanks kevinh

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
18 Participants
1duckyboy
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing