Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tick at startup that sounds like a valve tick. It isn't coming from the cam chain tensioner area. It's been there since brand new (I've got about 1,400 miles right now), and hasn't changed after oil changes.

It gets quieter once the engine warms up, but doesn't go away completely.

Does anybody else tick at startup? If it's valves, I know it's more an aesthetic issue than a real problem, but it's just kind of annoying to me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Engines can make all sorts of odd rattles and ticks until they warm up.
If it quiets down some but not completely once warm, I'd say it's normal and you're good-to-go.
Remember the goofy saying, "A tappy valve is a happy valve."
A valve that goes completely silent may be too tight!

Reactions: gearsmasher

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine does this. It comes from the front of the motor where the exhaust valves are. I figured that's normal. Valves are metal hitting metal, so it's going to make noise. I'm finally getting used to this motor's sounds, and there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is a very noisy engine, 15k Miles later they are all still there especially at startup and when in neutral with the clutch out. The only one that worried me was the cam chain tensioner, I replaced it under warranty and had no chance so I put the mod that's on the site somewhere I think it's under the "I got a tick" thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it really is a noisy bike.
between the slight tick and noisy neutral i was getting a little worried, but good to know they both seem relatively common.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
best way to have noises diagnosed over the internet is to post a video clip with high quality audio.

it's normal for an engine to be a bit noisier when cold - when the engine warms up things expand and clearances tighten up.

if you guys think an 09 is noisy, try riding an early air/oil cooled gsxr some time, your eardrums will explode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts