Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the description says, when I start the bike cold I can hear the valves quite loudly for a few seconds then the sounds goes away. Not too worried about this but interested in hearing if everyone else noticed this.

My MPG is around 30 miles per gallon, or about 100 miles with 3 gallons in the tank. I don't ride overly aggressive but I do use shitty California gas.What's everyone's mpg? (If this has been discussed before I would like to check that thread out) :)

And last but not least, 3rd gear makes a whine noise that's quite loud and distinct. I can tell I'm in third because of the sound alone. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Normal for start up noise.
Gas I am not sure... I average a hair over 40mpg fairly aggressive riding.

Gear whine is normal too. Mostly in 3 and 6th.

·
Registered
377 Posts
my clutch basket makes way more noise then the engine itself, but that's only astride the bike. when you're standing next to the bike and not touching it, you don't hear the clutch noise at all. valves sound about normal. a bit noisy then quiets down quickly.

I get 40-45 mpg calculated by gallons/miles at each tank. Nevada fuel here.

never noticed any particular 3d gear whine on mine, but I usually have earplugs in.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ive been getting an avg of 42 MPG.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That sound you hear at cold startup may not be the valves, but might in fact be the CCT which ticks with a similar sound for 5-10 seconds at startup, then goes away as the oil is pumped up to the top end from the pan-annoying but normal. If the sound persists after its warm, there's a chance your CCT is shot-like some of us have experienced. If it goes away after 10 seconds or so, you're good.

I average about 115 out of a tank with moderately aggressive riding-that motor is just too sweet to run at low rpm's and too much fun not to jump on it in any gear...lol.

I have had a whirring sound in fifth gear since day one-even switching to full synthetic at 2000 miles didn't quiet it down, but my 3rd and 6th are relatively quiet-I think it's just the way the gears are cut in some of these boxes.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Mine does the same thing (valves??)...3rd gear has a slight whine...6th is louder for me though.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Google: APE CCT :cool:

Truly a God Send.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the clicking does go away after a few seconds of idling cold.
funny how we all get different mileage... I ride mostly city tho, so I think that might be why I don't get a high number?
the whinning is cool actually, it let's me know I'm in 3rd gear easily :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
As a couple others have said it's cct noise and that is normal as long as it goes away quickly. Same for the gear whine, mine does it in 3rd - 6th. As for fuel mileage, if you want to improve it just stick it in 6th gear at any speed above 30mph, it's got the torque.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
For gas mileage stats, go to the website fuelly.com and look up FZ-09.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts