Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Vacuum guages and tools

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  pbnut 
#1 ·
I see a lot of articles float around about what bike tools you should have on hand for emergency situations, but never any about the best tools to keep in your average shop. I've looked through the service manual and notice that a lot of tasks can be done at home, and the tools cost about as much as a single service visit.

One of the next things I'm looking for is a set of vacuum gauges to adjust my throttle bodies at my first service interval, can anyone recommend some other tools that pay for themselves pretty quickly?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I've owned a Morgan Carbtune Pro for many years and have gotten a lot of use out of it.... as have many friends.

I've also heard good things about the MotionPro Syncpro. Back in the day the fluid would spill out if you set it down flat, so it had to be stored vertically... which was a deal breaker for me at the time. Looks like the newer version is sealed.

#6 · (Edited)
I woudl never recommend the cheap vacuum gauges on ebay. They bounce around so much, they are useless. The Morganna is a little more costly, but well worth it.

If you happen to get the ebay set, or already have them, you can make them work bu installing needle valved in the lines, but its far better to get the Morgan first...not second.

#7 ·
In my quest for adequate tooling, I ordered the pictured tire pressure guage from Amazon and am totally blown away with how big it is. I'm sending it back but now I'm looking for suggestions on a guage I can toss in my backpack, but I like the style with the hose especially with trying to read the pressure around the brake rotors.

#8 ·
In my quest for adequate tooling, I ordered the pictured tire pressure guage from Amazon and am totally blown away with how big it is. I'm sending it back but now I'm looking for suggestions on a guage I can toss in my backpack, but I like the style with the hose especially with trying to read the pressure around the brake rotors.

Hey, I have that gauge! Yep, it is too big for portable use but it sure is a nice one to have in the garage.

#9 · (Edited)
I've been using one of these for some time now. It was mentioned in one of the motorcycle mags a while back as being as accurate as the expensive ones at a fraction of the cost. It was a huge upgrade for me coming from the pen style. I'm very pleased with it so far.
Side note; get some angled valve stems and forget the hose. A quick press and you're done. The solid bases mean you can just press the gauge to the stem and it won't flex out of the chuck. Tire pressure checks are a breeze for me now with said valve stems and the S-series gauge.

Gauge
http://www.getagauge.com/index.cfm

Valve stems
http://www.motodracing.com/performa....html#!/~/product/category=460812&id=14191556

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.